White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2005, 09:51 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpammySosa
They are this season.
They should retire the outfield baskets along with the number. Sandberg would never have made the HOF without those damn things.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:56 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

"So I have a chance!"

"I have a chance, too."

"Oh, dear..."
Old 02-04-2005, 09:57 PM
Banned

Quote:

"So I have a chance!"

"Wait until July."
Old 02-05-2005, 09:45 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane
They should retire the outfield baskets along with the number. Sandberg would never have made the HOF without those damn things.
i agree, half the scrubs wouldnt hit home runs if it werent for those stupid baskets
Old 02-05-2005, 10:10 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord23
i agree, half the scrubs wouldnt hit home runs if it werent for those stupid baskets
While I am not defending the scrubs BY ANY MEANS,if you want to make this argument,what about different ballparks having different dimensions? Basically those baskets are more or less bringing the dimensions in. And what about Coors Field homers? Maybe they should count as 1/2 a homer. What about stadiums that are more open air and have less wind obstruction? I am all for taking shots at the scrubs every chance we get, but I think the basket argument is pretty weak.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:46 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
While I am not defending the scrubs BY ANY MEANS,if you want to make this argument,what about different ballparks having different dimensions? Basically those baskets are more or less bringing the dimensions in. And what about Coors Field homers? Maybe they should count as 1/2 a homer. What about stadiums that are more open air and have less wind obstruction? I am all for taking shots at the scrubs every chance we get, but I think the basket argument is pretty weak.
Why not just give all the fans in the front row gloves and let them snag whatever they can reach. It worked well for the Yankees in the 90's.

Heck, we can give all the fans those long handled nets that dog catchers and fishermen use and really jack up the HR totals.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 02-05-2005, 11:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
The dimensions at Coors Field: Left field: 347 ft.; left-center: 390 ft.; center field: 415 ft.; right-center: 375 ft.; right field: 350 ft.

When did the Cubs stop counting basket shots as ground rule doubles?
Old 02-05-2005, 11:27 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo=dorf
The dimensions at Coors Field: Left field: 347 ft.; left-center: 390 ft.; center field: 415 ft.; right-center: 375 ft.; right field: 350 ft.

When did the Cubs stop counting basket shots as ground rule doubles?
My Coors Field reference wasn't so much about the dimensions but the way the ball flies out of there due to the (please help me with the proper terms) air and atmosphere there. I forget the exact terminology but I understand the concept. As for the baskets,to reiterate and clarify, if the baskets weren't there,then obviously the ball would hit the wall and be playable. But instead of having the baskets,the scrubs could lower the wall a tad or move the dimensions in and it would create the same effect,so I don't know what the crybabying is all about. We have a TRILLION other valid reasons to dislike the scrubs/Urinal than this.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:01 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
My Coors Field reference wasn't so much about the dimensions but the way the ball flies out of there due to the (please help me with the proper terms) air and atmosphere there. I forget the exact terminology but I understand the concept. As for the baskets,to reiterate and clarify, if the baskets weren't there,then obviously the ball would hit the wall and be playable. But instead of having the baskets,the scrubs could lower the wall a tad or move the dimensions in and it would create the same effect,so I don't know what the crybabying is all about. We have a TRILLION other valid reasons to dislike the scrubs/Urinal than this.
No, if you lowered the wall enough to put all the basket shots into play, outfielders would be able to make a play on the ball. Yeah, many of them would be homers anyway, but not all of them.

I don't hate the flubbies either way. I try to just ignore them and I tend to pity the fans. It's a disease but it's cureable. I am living proof of that fact. Still, the baskets are pretty damned lame...
Old 02-06-2005, 08:05 AM
WSI Personality

Replace the baskets with electrified barbed wire instead.