White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2005, 02:38 AM
WSI Church Elder

ESPN's Rob Neyer admits mistake in 10 LEAST improved teams!

Here is Rob Neyer's original article on the 10 LEAST improved teams this offseason. I'm sure most of you have seen it already...

"As bad as it gets"
Monday, January 31
http://lite.espn.go.com/mlb/columnist?id=1980522
Quote:
Chicago White Sox

Gained: Tadahito Iguchi, A.J. Pierzynski, Orlando Hernandez, Scott Podsednik
Lost: Carlos Lee

It might reasonably be argued that the White Sox don't belong on this list, especially considering that I've left the Reds off the list. But that Lee-for-Podsednik trade just keeps eating at me, and I suspect that only Iguchi, who of course is unknown to most of us, is capable of saving this winter for the Sox.
Well, Neyer neglected to mention the White Sox acquisition of Jermaine Dye (he also forgot to mention Dustin Hermanson and Luis Vizcaino, by the way! ) and many Sox fans must have emailed him about it. Here's his latest article...

"Difficult to quantify outfield arms"
Friday, February 4
http://lite.espn.go.com/mlb/columnist?id=1984248
Quote:
Following up on another column, just as I was overwhelmed with e-mail about Dwight Evans, earlier this week I was overwhelmed with e-mail about Jermaine Dye. As in, "How could you write about the White Sox's offseason moves and not mention Jermaine Dye?"

Guilty as charged. My source for offseason moves left something to be desired (which is the source's fault) and I didn't take the time to double-check (which of course was my fault). I'm still not convinced the White Sox got much better this winter, but signing Jermaine Dye probably does remove them from the "10 Teams That Did the Least to Help Themselves" list. So if you're a White Sox fan, feel free to replace them with the Reds or the Phillies.
Hey Rob, It must be tough to convince you that a team got much better this winter when you don't even know what players they've added! Ummm... Dye, Hermanson, Vizcaino? Do any of them ring a bell, Robby? It's pretty sad that this guy can actually work for ESPN and miss stuff like this. I think Neyer needs to get his nose out of Billy Beane's and other stat-heads' collective butts and watch his own channel once in awhile.

P.S. - How stupid is ESPN.com that they don't let you read the ESPN Insider without a subscription but you can freely view it from the "Lite" version of the website?

Last edited by Jabroni; 02-05-2005 at 03:05 AM.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:01 AM
WSI Church Elder

Anyone else feel like working on a petition to get this schmuck fired?

If you are and wondering how you can help...

Keep a watchful eye on him in the next month or so. Any mistakes he makes or anything offense he says, point it out to the rest of us. We'll bombard ESPN with complaints and ask for his head on a silver platter to be auctioned off on eBay.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:09 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSoxFan84

If you are and wondering how you can help...

Keep a watchful eye on him in the next month or so. Any mistakes he makes or anything offense he says, point it out to the rest of us. We'll bombard ESPN with complaints and ask for his head on a silver platter to be auctioned off on eBay.
Maybe Kenny is truly "flying under the radar" so much that Neyer missed out on the Dye, Hermanson, and Vizcaino acquisitions?

Nah, Neyer is just an idiot.

GASBAG!

Here's Mr. Neyer's email address just incase you want to share your opinions with him:

rob.neyer@dig.com

Last edited by Jabroni; 02-05-2005 at 03:31 AM.
Old 02-05-2005, 04:46 AM
Brrrrooooowwwwffffffff!!!

I don't know how much of an idiot he is, but he certainly is a lazy writer. Blaming his "sources" for not knowing about two acquisitions? Bullfeathers! He didn't do his homework. Period.

He'd feel right at home with the hacks who write for the Chicago papers.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:16 AM
WSI Church Elder

Do any of these ESPN boobs know anything about baseball??

"It is easy to be smart, but a struggle to be wise"
Old 02-05-2005, 08:54 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornLabrum
I don't know how much of an idiot he is, but he certainly is a lazy writer. Blaming his "sources" for not knowing about two acquisitions? Bullfeathers! He didn't do his homework. Period.

Unfortunately, his "source" was proabably another writer, whose "source" was still another writer, etc. etc. etc. NONE of these guys do their homework. The just read each others articles and regurgitate the same pap back again. It's the worst example of "group think" you'll ever find.

19 seasons, 9232 AB, 216 SO
Old 02-05-2005, 08:59 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornLabrum

How hard is it to go to each team's webpage - from the website HE WORKS FOR - take a quick gander at the list of additions and subtractions and jot down a few notes and THEN write the article?!?!?!!

I'm so glad we Sox fans should feel free to substitute the Phillies or Reds. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I didn't have Rob's permission to do so. Oh the horror...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 02-05-2005, 10:21 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSoxFan84
He openly admits that his "source" screwed up and forgot to mention the Dye signing?

Was it supposed to be a "secret"? Talk about unprofessional and incompetent. This guy should be fired on the spot.

2013 Attendance Record: 7-9, .438
Old 02-05-2005, 10:22 AM
Parking Lot Attendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile
How hard is it to go to each team's webpage - from the website HE WORKS FOR - take a quick gander at the list of additions and subtractions and jot down a few notes and THEN write the article?!?!?!!

I'm so glad we Sox fans should feel free to substitute the Phillies or Reds. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I didn't have Rob's permission to do so. Oh the horror...
Here's the thing. He does this stuff for a living and still doesn't know it. I don't work in baseball for a living, yet off the top of my head, I can rattle off about every single signing or trade of the offseason for every team. You'd think that someone working in the baseball field should be able to do the same.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:22 PM
Banned

This crap just boggles my mind. It's his JOB to know what goes down in the offseason. That is completely unacceptable. He's getting paid to write about baseball. You think he would know a thing or two about the sport.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni
Maybe Kenny is truly "flying under the radar" so much that Neyer missed out on the Dye, Hermanson, and Vizcaino acquisitions?

Nah, Neyer is just an idiot.

GASBAG!

Here's Mr. Neyer's email address just incase you want to share your o...pinions with him:

rob.neyer@dig.com
Oh hes gettin an email....

Lets get that petition started!

I know this is just repeating what everyone else said, but how in the hell does this guy have a job for the biggest sports market in the world...WHAT A JOKE!!
Old 02-05-2005, 03:49 PM
New At WSI

Default I like Neyer

Albeit he was wrong in the case, but can't you see as Sox fans we're falling victim to the spin cycle K-Will and the boys have sent out during SoxFest? We're devalauing what Carlos Lee did for the team the last couple years.

Neyer knows what a great a player Lee is, and you can't just replace him with defense and speed (remember Carlos didn't make one error last year).

Heck, even Guillen was spinning, saying that crap about Carlos sliding into 2B during the Twins game. Rightfully pointed out, Carlos was going to wreck some Tigers during that 2000 brawl.

Neyer didn't keep track of what an awesome bullpen we're going to have. I mean, our starters will probably go deep into games, but they won't have to. This pitching staff i would say is World Series caliber. I don't know about the position players though....

I've e-mail Neyer before. He responds. I like this style of writing, he just screwed up big time in this case. That happens. Just don't be Jerry Manuel and demmote Keith Foulke the first time he gives up a gopher ball and blows the save. Neyer usually doesn't disappoint.
Old 02-05-2005, 04:19 PM
Banned

Keep your eyes on the prize, people:

"I'm a media whore, and how!"
Old 02-05-2005, 04:43 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shok
Albeit he was wrong in the case, but can't you see as Sox fans we're falling victim to the spin cycle K-Will and the boys have sent out during SoxFest? We're devalauing what Carlos Lee did for the team the last couple years.

Neyer knows what a great a player Lee is, and you can't just replace him with defense and speed (remember Carlos didn't make one error last year).

Heck, even Guillen was spinning, saying that crap about Carlos sliding into 2B during the Twins game. Rightfully pointed out, Carlos was going to wreck some Tigers during that 2000 brawl.

Neyer didn't keep track of what an awesome bullpen we're going to have. I mean, our starters will probably go deep into games, but they won't have to. This pitching staff i would say is World Series caliber. I don't know about the position players though....

I've e-mail Neyer before. He responds. I like this style of writing, he just screwed up big time in this case. That happens. Just don't be Jerry Manuel and demmote Keith Foulke the first time he gives up a gopher ball and blows the save. Neyer usually doesn't disappoint.
Lee is a loss if you don't factor in Dye, Posednik, Vicaino, and Hernandez - which is what the team effectively turned that money into.

What would you rather have?

Lee was a loss, but given the Sox budgetary constraints, it was for the best to trade him or Paulie and apparently no one wanted Paulie...
Old 02-05-2005, 04:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Those ESPN.com writers are quite talented.