White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2005, 05:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Time is right for the Sox to take over Chicago

Finally!....Sosa is gone. As a White Sox fan for the last 10 years I had to explain why Sosa was traded to the Cubs and that it was a good move at the time. However, with every 40+ homerun year Sosa hit (7 total), it was more and more difficult to explain away why the Sox traded Sosa for George Bell. Yes, Sosa was on steroids, he corked his bat, he played his radio really loud, he was brutal in the outfield and he was a selfish jerk, but he hit a lot of monster homeruns. Baseball fans and tourists came from all over America to see Sosa hit a homerun at Wrigley Field. Sosa, Wrigley Field and the Cubs ruled Chicago baseball for the last decade, even when the Sox had better teams. As a Sox fan, that drove me nuts! Now that Sosa and everything that he brought, good and bad is in Baltimore, the Sox finally have a chance to grab some of the borderline Chicago fans and sway of the media. The time is right for a White Sox player to become the star of Chicago baseball. Who will it be?...I don't know. But right now with Sosa out of the picture, the Sox have a chance to become the dominant baseball story in Chicago once again.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

The Sox will take over when and if they win big.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:54 PM
WSI High Priest

We as fans always say it, but this year HAS TO BE the year. KW has remolded the team into the image he wants - time to move up and take back what was theirs - bragging rights in the city. Make it about BASEBALL.

"Whose car are we gonna take?"
Old 02-03-2005, 06:56 PM
WSI High Priest

As a Sox fan of 35 seasons,I can say that,IMHO,
it's going to take winning the ALCS to bring the
big crowds back.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:27 PM
WSI High Priest

its going to take WINNING to get the Medias Attention (and by extension, the City). Lets not kid ourselves, The Chicago Media Created that Frankenstein they lovingly called Slammin Sammy. They also Created that other teams "Popularity" thru Relentless and Blatant Propoganda. The Media is Angered because he really wasnt all that they HYPED him up to be, helped run him out of town. The Media is Furious that the lovable losers didnt get to the World Series ....again. They will simply Install another Plastic Hero (Nomar, Messiah, Aramis most likely) and devote most of their attention, air and print time to him.

Good. Let them.

If this team should do the Glorious thing and win the division, molded from what the City of Chicago stands for, will be one Cruel Slap in the Face
to the Tribunes/Kileys/Murphys/Fox's. The SOX can take the city over,
but not without a Media fight.
" The 2006 White Sox..... simply didn't have the hunger of the Twins or Tigers" - SunTimes columnist and SOX fan Richard Roeper
Old 02-03-2005, 07:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Yes, it will take winning and I think this team will win. I would like to see Aaron Rowand repeat last year (or even better) and takeover this city as the star of Chicago baseball. He's a perfect Chicago icon. Handsome (for the ladies), Down to earth and "real", excellent work ethic, a huge bears fan, and just an all around great guy.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:44 PM
Banned

White Sox Baseball: Lords of the World Series Rings- Return of the King

The King ------------------------------->
Old 02-03-2005, 07:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

the sox will finnally, FINALLY get the RESPECT they DESERVE if they WIN the WORLD SERIES

Proud to be a WSIer
Old 02-03-2005, 08:42 PM
Everybody's All-American

I think the tide started turning last year, even before Sammy was traded. If you remember, since the beginning of last year, every park the Cubs went to, it seemed like there were more Cub fans (except in St. Louis and Houston). This because they were everyone's darlings for being so close to getting to the WS. They lost a lot of that with the attacking of the broadcasters, the arrogance, and frankly, for turning from loveable losers to hated winners. All the Sox have to do is play baseball the way Ozzie wants them to. Play hard. Play aggressive. Of course, taking a wrecking ball to that sty they call a ballpark would help!
Seriously, I think it's turning in our favor. On the street, I've heard more buzz about the Sox than the Cubs.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:10 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangar18
its going to take WINNING to get the Medias Attention (and by extension, the City). Lets not kid ourselves, The Chicago Media Created that Frankenstein they lovingly called Slammin Sammy. They also Created that other teams "Popularity" thru Relentless and Blatant Propoganda. The Media is Angered because he really wasnt all that they HYPED him up to be, helped run him out of town. The Media is Furious that the lovable losers didnt get to the World Series ....again. They will simply Install another Plastic Hero (Nomar, Messiah, Aramis most likely) and devote most of their attention, air and print time to him.

Good. Let them.

If this team should do the Glorious thing and win the division, molded from what the City of Chicago stands for, will be one Cruel Slap in the Face
to the Tribunes/Kileys/Murphys/Fox's. The SOX can take the city over,
but not without a Media fight.
I used to think that it would take just winning to be popular in Chicago, but it's more than that. The 2000 White Sox ran away with the central, yet a majority of the media coverage that year was on Sosa and the Cubs, until the playoffs. Part of that was because Frank wasn't talking to the media as much and the other everyday star was Magglio, a guy who is so quiet, the average fan wouldn't be able to pick him out. Of course the Sox need to be a winning team, thats what we want. But for the boarderline/fair weather fans/media, you need a winning team and a star. The '86 Bears won, but they had Payton, McMahon, Hampton, etc....a lot of character. The Bulls had Michael Jordan...he was off the charts, so its hard to compare him, but his teams were winning and he was a star, The Cubs were losing with Sammy, but they did make the playoffs in '98 and that enough of a success to go on. Sure, winning a world series will make a star (Josh Beckett), but you need an everyday star. The Sox need a star that will win games and pull the average fans in. Maybe it will be Ozzie, maybe it will be the pitchers, maybe Rowand....I don't know.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:24 AM
WSI Church Elder

my question is do the sox do better when they fly under the radar?
Old 02-04-2005, 01:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogs35
my question is do the sox do better when they fly under the radar?
That's what it's seemed like in the past, e.g. everyone picks minnesota, Sox take over first place and are playing great, they are focused on on BBTN, everything goes downhill. It shouldn't be this way in real life, I mean if they made it to the big leagues, they shouldn't have problem with pressure right?

But it's a weird situation, what is it about us having trouble against pitchers we haven't seen before, even if everyone else is lighting them up, or being horrible on the west coast. I mean, it's not like the same players are on our team every year. Maybe the changes this year'll help change these bad habits.

I wonder if a WS win will really be enough. It'll probably be enough for this city, but nationally, I think it'd take more than that. E.g. no offense to the Dbacks or Marlins, but the national media doesn't really focus on them but just treats them like normal teams. It's a team like Anaheim who wins it all, and then goes out and spends the national defecit (that new owner didnt hurt, ey?)to try and keep the fans coming that gets attention, deservedly so.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:47 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn
Of course, taking a wrecking ball to that sty they call a ballpark would help!
Should that be teal, or do you actually think that our ballpark is a sty?
Old 02-04-2005, 03:10 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn
...Of course, taking a wrecking ball to that sty they call a ballpark would help! ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDSR
Should that be teal, or do you actually think that our ballpark is a sty?
I think spawn was referring to the urinal. I could be mistaken.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:24 AM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw218
I think spawn was referring to the urinal. I could be mistaken.
You're absolutely correct. I love the Cell. It gets a lot of bad pub, but I love watching games there. No obstructed views, plenty of good food to eat. And it gets better every year. Wrigley, on the other hand...I just don't see the attraction. Parking sucks, getting out of the park is hell, the food is horrible( and don't get me started on them serving Bud and Old Style!). I hate The Shrine.