White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2005, 04:06 PM
WSI Regular

I guess this is why they play the games.... To actually find out if your team is any good or not.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEO Magglio
They had their chance last year, honestly. Their bullpen is improved but still not very good, their rotation isn't good at all, Millwood stinks, Elarton is awful, Lee was absolutely horrendous the 2nd half of last year, CC is very good and Westbrook was very good last year but I'm sure he'll have a bit of a dropoff. I think the thing a lot of people forget with Cleveland is that Lawton and Vizquel are what made them go, both of those guys are gone and I just don't think they'll be as good offensively this year even though Martinez and Hafner are studs, imo.
I picked Cleveland last year to win the division, but this year I really dont know...The Central has proven to be an odd division, with one constant winner...the Twins

Gotta dethrone them before we start making any "White Sox winning the division" picks, but the cliche of "we have a better team on paper" should be applied here...As it has been for the last 3 years and has gotten us absolutely nowhere
Old 02-02-2005, 05:29 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEO Magglio
They had their chance last year, honestly. Their bullpen is improved but still not very good, their rotation isn't good at all, Millwood stinks, Elarton is awful, Lee was absolutely horrendous the 2nd half of last year, CC is very good and Westbrook was very good last year but I'm sure he'll have a bit of a dropoff. I think the thing a lot of people forget with Cleveland is that Lawton and Vizquel are what made them go, both of those guys are gone and I just don't think they'll be as good offensively this year even though Martinez and Hafner are studs, imo.
I see what you're saying, but I still like a lot of those young hitters - Broussard, Blake, Martinez, Belliard, Hafner, Gerut... Guess only time will tell if last year was the aberration or the rule. Hopefully, the former....
Old 02-03-2005, 08:49 AM
WSI High Priest

[QUOTE=ChisoxfaninMinny]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome

exactly. This team has the chance to win the division, but a lot of it depends on if new players go back to their levels or previous years. This team has a lot of holes and question marks. But so does every other team in the division. And people are making a mistake by just discounting cleveland. They dont suck.
I agree with you. This team has enough to contend for the division. KW did a good job of putting that together this offseason. But by no means is this team the favorite to win the division, IMHO.

Bob
Old 02-05-2005, 02:33 AM
WSI Church Elder

How many times are any of these guys right? 1/100 at best.

We know about the Sox and how good they are way before everybody else knows. Most of the nation will call us a "surprise". We call them STUPID.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:35 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot7
I see what you're saying, but I still like a lot of those young hitters - Broussard, Blake, Martinez, Belliard, Hafner, Gerut... Guess only time will tell if last year was the aberration or the rule. Hopefully, the former....
Keyword= YOUNG aka UNPROVEN. Belliard (30 on 4/5/05) isn't that young and he SUCKS. I don't care what he did last year. Hafner, Gerut, and Martinez I somewhat respect. Blake (not young, 32, .261 career BA, 47 career HRs, 28 last year, 'roids?) and Broussard (28, .260 career BA, 37 career HRs in 916 ABs) will suck next year. I even think V-Mart will suck as well. He did have a good year last year but a well-timed sophomore jinx and some luck may factor in. Who you forgot to mention are Grady Sizemore and Coco Crisp. The guys are 22 and 25, respectively, and have FAT potential. Only problem is they may cancel each other out fighting for a spot in the outfield.

IMO, this team will win 82 games because of they're pitching (full year out of Bob Wickman and the additions of Arthur Rhodes and Kevin Millwood give the Tribe a solid staff) and nothing else. I also see them finishing 2nd in the division, 7 games behind the White Sox, and 3 games infront of the Twins.

Let's not forget the team added Jose Hernandez to play SS (had 373 strikeouts in 2 seasons, and oh by the way, he doesn't pitch). Has decent power, but his shaky defense and lack of contact overshadow any home runs he will hit. Indians may also start Aaron Boone at 3B (injury may make him much less of a threat if he ever was one) and Bob Wickman has always been questionable as their closer (did convert 33 SVs in 36 SVO last 3 years; but 4.30 ERA and 1.50 WHIP during that stretch and only 66 appearances; numerous injuries). As long as he gets the job done though, huh? I don't think so.

Sabathia/Millwood/Westbrook will be a VERY solid 1-3. However, the Indians just have no # 4 and 5. Cliff Lee's record was a mistake last year (14-8, 5.43 ERA [before All-Star Break; 9-1, 3.77/after; 5-7, 7.91]; compared to the much hated by WSI Nation Jon Garland's 4.89 ERA and just 12 wins) and Scott Elarton's 5.90 ERA and 3-11 record don't look good. He may not even make the rotation this year (last spot in rotation may go to Jason Davis).

Last edited by WhiteSoxFan84; 02-05-2005 at 02:58 AM.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:33 AM
Banned

We could win the World Series and sports writer still wouldn't give us any respect. Look at the Cubs they have done NOTHING this offseason but for some reason the Sox unbelievable offseason still pales in comparision in the eyes of sports writers. Man i hate the cubs.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:37 AM
Banned

I think that the Indians have a good shot at the division. If not the wild card. They have a very young and surprising offense. They added pitching and could be real contenders. I think that they will take the division and the Sox will finish second. I think that the Sox roster needs a little boost to get them over the hump and iguchi may do that if he can put up similiar or slightly below numbers in the US.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:48 AM
Banned

i hope you guys win the AL Central
remember they picked the Cubs to win the WS in 2003
well..... that didnt happen did it??
Old 02-05-2005, 03:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

The wild card may very much be up for grabs this year. I don't think the Red Sox will be as great as everyone says. I am glad we are not favored at all too bad they don't pick us to finish last so we could really cash in on the odds

"It is easy to be smart, but a struggle to be wise"
Old 02-05-2005, 07:59 PM
WSI Personality

Post blowhards

Generally when ANY "expert" begins to bloviate about who is gonna win, lose, be good, be bad. I don't even read. Whoever recovers from seasonal injuries usually has a good shot. In other words, thats why they play the games. There'll be experts predicting the Sox will come in first too.