White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2005, 10:14 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Epilogue

It's very interesting, somewhat laughable, and overall pathetic observing all the Cub fans and Cub media these last few days since Sosa was traded. All these years, they worshipped at the "Alter of Sammy", cheering madly, and bowing to him every time he ran out to right field, or stepped to the plate for another strike out. They waved signs imploring him to "hit it here", or letting him, and everyone else know, that "We Love You Sammy". It was the most gross overabundance of adulation and hero worship I've ever seen bestowed on any sports figure, and at the same time, so undeserving. We Sox fans knew the truth about the guy, and argued in vain with the sheep trying to inform them. We knew about the fact that he was/is a wife beater. Long before the Balco story broke, we were chanting "Steroids..Steroids" whenever he came to bat. We knew what a raging megalomaniac the guy was; How he would snap at any reporter who had the nerve to ask him a question not to his liking; His little assistant, not on the Cubs roster, but paid by them, and in full uniform, who's only job was to be Sammy's personal valet, and help him stretch before games; Then came the corked bat incident. He was caught, red handed, at cheating. His reaction was remarkably un-apologetic. How did Cub fans react ? The following night, they game him a STANDING OVATION ! Anyone remember the guy that was holding up a sign that said "Sammy Sosa Is Still My Hero". Unbelievable. Now, after the debacle at the end of last season, bitching about being moved down in the batting order, and walking out on the team, the Cubs are able to unload him. Now, sports reporters, the ones who helped enable him, (especially at the Tribune), are starting to leak out little stories here and there about Sosa, what a jerk he was, etc. And the fans ? The same fans who fed his monsterous ego, the same fans who only 5 months ago were wrapping up yet another season of Sosa slobbering, are now saying "Yeah, I'm glad he's gone", and "He wasn't really a team player, he was very selfish", and even "I won't miss all the strikeouts". These were the same things wev'e been saying for the past 12+ years, (even more so since 1998), but were always pooh-poohed away and dismissed as "jealous Sox fans, you're just mad because you guys traded him for George Bell, ha ha ha ha.." I shouldn't be surprised, but I am continually amazed again & again at the absolute stupidity Cub Nation puts on display.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:24 AM
WSI Personality

AMEN
Old 02-01-2005, 11:20 AM
WSI High Priest

HERE! HERE!

Yesterday's Cubune with the articles by each sportswriter and their little stories about what a Sosa. Hey, why didn't you ever report these things when Sammy was a Cub?

I've heard from so many Cubbie fans how Sammy had become unbearable the last couple years. No, Sammy hasn't changed. He's been that way for years. Steve Stone said just that too, so it's not the bitter opinion of a Sox fan.

Sammy is a monster of the Cubs creation. They loved the monster when the monster was reaping them money. The media and Cub fans played a part as well.

It's been funny over the last year or so to see Cub fans boo Sosa and complain about him. They sound like Sox fans now.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 02-01-2005, 11:25 AM
WSI High Priest

"You Cub fans are all a bunch of bitches and sluts! It's over -- I'm outta here!"

"Boy, that guy's a real jerk. I don't know how you could put up with that BS. Come here, let me put my arm around you. Did anyone ever tell you what beautiful eyes you have? Wanna take a spin in my Chevy? We could go down to the lake..."
Old 02-01-2005, 12:14 PM
WSI Personality

Say it brother! I hope you feel better now that you've gotten it out of your system.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:58 PM
WSI High Priest

You're preachin' to the choir, bro.

As to your other comments about the Tribune beyotches coming out of the closet with their slam-Sosa stories, this addresses the conflict-of-interest I've talked about before when it comes to sports coverage. If the reporter doesn't kiss some butt, or at least not be as critical as the might like to be, then they lose the access to the athletes they need to do their job. It's only when they no longer NEED that access that the truth can be told...

SMO