White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2005, 08:09 AM
WSI Church Elder

Post A warning to Orioles' fans...

Here's what I shared with Orioles' fans on their website about their newest team member...

Hey Orioles fans,

First of all, let me intorduce myself. My name's Harlin, and I'm a radio news and sports reporter here in Chicago. I'm also a Chicago WHITE SOX fan, so admittedly, I'll be speaking to you with "Silver and Black" glasses on. However, what I'm about to write is pretty much what a lot of a lot of non-Cubs/non-Sosa fans have been saying about your newest team member for years. It's just with all the popularity Sosa's had over the years, anyone (especially us White Sox fans) who "dared" to critize Sammy would either get ignored or lambasted with accusations of "jealousy", "bitterness", and being "Sosa-haters". And now with all the "dirty laundry" out in the open about Sosa's selfishness and "it's all about me" attitude...Cubs fans are more than willing to turn him over to the first team that'll take him off the North-Sider's hands.

Seeing the Orioles over the years makes me respect "The Oriole Way" of playing baseball...especially with Cal Ripken at the helm. Cal's work ethic of perseverance and hard play every day was an inspiration to all of us who ever played baseball regardless of our favorite teams. However, Sammy Sosa is NOTHING like Cal Ripken at all. Granted, he'll hit more home runs than Ripken, and he'll bring more crowds into Oriole Park (which will be good considering the Washington Nationals starting this season), but his popularity will be short lived once you see what Sammy's truly made of. After the initial "honeymoon" is over, and once Sammy is no longer the "star of the show" in Baltimore, he'll resort to the same "me first" attitude that turned him from an icon to a reject here in the Windy City. Now like I said, not everyone in this town was in love with Sammy as much as the mainstream press wants you to believe. But if those who cheered for Sammy are all-of-a-sudden turning on the man here...imagine what would happen where you are. His ilk is enough to make you puke up your crab cakes if Peter Angelos or whoever's running your team lets it happen long enough.

I know I'm being long-winded here, but take this warning seriously. Sammy Sosa is BAD NEWS for you guys. Popularity isn't worth the mess you'll be going through with Sosa very soon. Think about this...if Sosa's so well-loved, then why would one of the more popular teams in all of sports be willing to pay him $12 million to get out of town? Sosa's antics of corking bats, dissing fans, and walking out on teammates wouldn't be tolerated in New York, let alone Baltimore with Ripken there. I feel Cal would rip Sammy a new one if they were playing together every day. But...at least as it's being portrayed here...the Orioles need popularity to compete with Washington for baseball dollars. As if Oriole Park wasn't enough of a draw to bring in fans (it's only being lauded as the park that started the "retro-ballpark" boom in the 90's)...now it appears the O's made a deal with the devil to get some butts in the seats. Enjoy the salsa, Baltimore. You'll get used to the bitter aftertaste after a while.

The reponses to this post were positive at most. One person told me some fans bleed orange and black, and don't care about this move other than it makes their team more popular. I posted something similar to this on the Florida Marlins' fansite after someone asked why their team didn't get Sosa, but got Carlos Delgado. After I wrote what I wrote, one responder told me he would take my post "with a grain of salt BECAUSE I'm a White Sox fan."

Can't please everybody.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:53 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsnterprize
[COLOR=Red]Here's what I shared with Orioles' fans on their website about their newest team member...

Hey Orioles fans,

First of all, let me intorduce myself. My name's Harlin, and I'm a radio news and sports reporter here in Chicago. I'm also a Chicago WHITE SOX fan, so admittedly, I'll be speaking to you with "Silver and Black" glasses on. However, what I'm about to write is pretty much what a lot of a lot of non-Cubs/non-Sosa fans have been saying about your newest team member for years. It's just with all the popularity Sosa's had over the years, anyone (especially us White Sox fans) who "dared" to critize Sammy would either get ignored or lambasted with accusations of "jealousy", "bitterness", and being "Sosa-haters". And now with all the "dirty laundry" out in the open about Sosa's selfishness and "it's all about me" attitude...Cubs fans are more than willing to turn him over to the first team that'll take him off the North-Sider's hands.
It's funny that Cubbie fans used to blast Sox fans for booing Sosa. I had a Cubbie fan scream in my face when I booed Sosa at The Shrine during a Cubs vs. Sox game. Last year Cubbie fans booed Sosa, then booed him at Cubbie Convention. If it's wrong to boo a former Sox player and a current opponent, why is it ok to boo a player on your team?

The steroids and Sammy's selfish, showboat ways made me sick. Also, Cubbie fans just couldn't stop with the George Bell for Sosa trade stuff. Now they're the ones calling Sosa out for things we Sox fans have said for 12 years. Some of them might just be slow learners.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 02-01-2005, 08:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

I heard this am that the Cubs are picking up 16M of thed 17M due Shammy next year. Can this be true?
Old 02-01-2005, 09:03 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickster
I heard this am that the Cubs are picking up 16M of thed 17M due Shammy next year. Can this be true?
The Cubs are paying the Orioles $12 million of his 2005 salary and the $3.5 million severance payment he is owed so $15.5 million total.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:19 AM
WSI High Priest

Hntr...why would Marlins fans complain about getting Delgado rather than Sosa? You'd think the 2003 NL Champions, of all teams, would know certain things.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 02-01-2005, 12:02 PM
Banned

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the fans in Baltimore and Florida on these forums aren't doing their homework. Or simply aren't intelligent.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:21 AM
WSI Regular

Oh well...

SAMMY WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY TO BE WITH THE O'S
"I JUST HAPPY TO BE HEAR"

"HOP THIS"
Old 02-02-2005, 12:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Anyone have a link to their site?
Old 02-02-2005, 12:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXFAN82
Oh well...

SAMMY WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY TO BE WITH THE O'S
"I JUST HAPPY TO BE HEAR"

"HOP THIS"
I was at that game.. it was unbelievable. It was the loudest sound I ever heard that wasn't a gun shot.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:29 PM
WSI Regular

i wish i could of been there too
Old 02-03-2005, 08:12 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Soprano
Anyone have a link to their site?
I posted this on Orioles.com under "This ain't Cal Ripken you're getting...". I tried to post on an Orioles fan site, but I couldn't find any fan forums to write on.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

Here's a link to the specific thread...

If you can stomach it, check out some of the other threads about the Salsa invasion of the Cheaspeake Bay. Oh...and here's something else to lose your food (whether it be breakfast, lunch, or dinner) over. I was watching WGN Morning News this morning, and someone from CINCINNATI called their voice mail line and chewed out Chicago for not appreciating what Sosa's done for this city. Of course, this "knowledgeable baseball fan" as she called herself said NOTHING about the White Sox fan's reactions to Sosa's departure, but Chicago (and I'm paraphrasing here) should "kiss Sosa's feet" and thank him for all he's done for Chicago.