White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2005, 03:55 PM
WSI Personality

Default ESPN--Downward Mobility??!

Rob Neyer's List of 10 Teams That Least Helped Themselves in Offseason:

https://r.espn.go.com/espn/inc/check...3Fid%3D1980522
#6) The Chicago White Sox

"It might be reasonably argued that the White Sox don't belong on this list...But that Lee for Podesednik trade just keeps eating at me, and I suspect that ONLY Iguchi, who of course is unknown to most of us, is capable of saving this winter for the Sox."

Rob Neyer's lack of professional baseball analysis never ceases to amaze me. While my gut reaction to the Lee/Podsednik trade was about the same as his, the signings that KW has made since then have filled some glaring holes. Isn't that the definition of improvement?? I just don't understand why he feels the need to be so pessimistic about the White Sox? Does he really think that Lee was worth more wins than Podesdnik, Hernandez, Pierzynski, Iguchi, Vizcaino, and Hermanson will be?? Iguchi better get off to a fast start, because I guess he's our ONLY hope!!
Old 01-31-2005, 04:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Nobody picked us in 2000, remember that.

And BTW,

Ozzie manages, you watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarWestChicago View Post
Yeah, they won is spite of Greg Walker, Ozzie, KW, JR and everybody else associated with that team. It's either a friggin' miracle or they knew more about what they were doing than posters here. I guess I have to go with "friggin' miracle" since the posters here obviously make any professional baseball person look like a moron.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanDye
Rob Neyer's List of 10 Teams That Least Helped Themselves in Offseason:

https://r.espn.go.com/espn/inc/check...3Fid%3D1980522
#6) The Chicago White Sox

"It might be reasonably argued that the White Sox don't belong on this list...But that Lee for Podesednik trade just keeps eating at me, and I suspect that ONLY Iguchi, who of course is unknown to most of us, is capable of saving this winter for the Sox."

Rob Neyer's lack of professional baseball analysis never ceases to amaze me. While my gut reaction to the Lee/Podsednik trade was about the same as his, the signings that KW has made since then have filled some glaring holes. Isn't that the definition of improvement?? I just don't understand why he feels the need to be so pessimistic about the White Sox? Does he really think that Lee was worth more wins than Podesdnik, Hernandez, Pierzynski, Iguchi, Vizcaino, and Hermanson will be?? Iguchi better get off to a fast start, because I guess he's our ONLY hope!!
Four things:

1) ESPN sucks!

2) The Podsednik-Lee-etc. trade was awesome.
3) Welcome aboard!
4) This is teal.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:03 PM
Banned

I totally agree with you, what a joke. I can't read the whole article, are the cubs on it?? They had a much worse off-season than the sox.

This guy has no idea what he is talking about, I assume he just looked at Lee's stats last year and compared them to Pods.

By the way, people are going to start crying about your misuse of teal.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Under the radar boys, under the radar.....
Old 01-31-2005, 04:06 PM
WSI Personality

He left Jermaine Dye and Vizciano off the list....really we are taking it in the nuts over this Lee deal. We have such a better team then we have had in years...Let them talk the talk...we will walk the walk
Old 01-31-2005, 04:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
Under the radar boys, under the radar.....
I wouldn't care if they picked us to finish in last place.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Other people just look at us as losers. I went to check the Cardinals Board, and they were making picks of who would win what division. Most people had us 2nd or 3rd, some 4th, and one person put us 1st.

Even we don't know how good we are yet, but Kenny will never get the credit he deserves for this offseason, because he didn't get Beltran or Delgado. It's not as easy to say that we did well, cause we didn't acquire the big name. As a matter of fact we lost the big name. Oh well, all we can do is hope to win the Division and hear about how surprising it is this team gelled.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Yes, anyone who doesn't see the 2005 club as at least marginally improved is hitting the wacky tobaccey a little too much. We will probably see a power downgrade, but I'd rather have 4 average major leaguers (Dye, Pods, Gucci, AJ) than 2 stars and 2 bums (Caballo, Or-done-yet, Pee-Yew-Pod & Little Ben). And the improvements to both the rotation and pen are undeniable. The worst you can say is we're more solid and less spectacular.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:15 PM
WSI High Priest

These are the same guys who picked the Royals to win the division last year.

19 seasons, 9232 AB, 216 SO
Old 01-31-2005, 04:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Who is Rob Neyer, and why is he writing for ESPN...?

I honestly think that for the biggest sports market in the world, ESPN has some of the worst analysts they can possibly dig up

The guy is clearly not a Sox fan....Clearly not a very knowledgable baseball writer.....Clearly not worth the time to read the rest of the article....

I get angry every time I read garbage like this, supposedly professional writers who are experts in their fields...I poop on their opinions
Old 01-31-2005, 04:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisox003
Who is Rob Neyer, and why is he writing for ESPN...?

I honestly think that for the biggest sports market in the world, ESPN has some of the worst analysts they can possibly dig up

The guy is clearly not a Sox fan....Clearly not a very knowledgable baseball writer.....Clearly not worth the time to read the rest of the article....

I get angry every time I read garbage like this, supposedly professional writers who are experts in their fields...I poop on their opinions
Now that I see Rob Neyer is behind this all knowing list I just forgot I even saw an article.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:29 PM
WSI High Priest

.... as I watch 1st and 10 or is it cold pizza? with woody paige and that Annoying wiener that he debates with.

Rules for ESPN

1) Anything the Red Sox or Yankees do is all right all the time.
2) A player does not exist until he plays for a major market team (mild exceptions for Beltran who they've hyped for a long while)
3) The AL Central does not exist.
4) Peter Gammons can make up any phony trade he wants, they'll just pronounce his genius when he's right 1 out of 10 times.
5) Treat the White Sox as a joke, don't talk about the Cardinals when they have the best record in baseball, go bonkers for Kaz Matsui, but completely ignore Iguchi.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by balke
.... as I watch 1st and 10 or is it cold pizza? with woody paige and that Annoying wiener that he debates with.

Rules for ESPN

1) Anything the Red Sox or Yankees do is all right all the time.
2) A player does not exist until he plays for a major market team (mild exceptions for Beltran who they've hyped for a long while)
3) The AL Central does not exist.
4) Peter Gammons can make up any phony trade he wants, they'll just pronounce his genius when he's right 1 out of 10 times.
5) Treat the White Sox as a joke, don't talk about the Cardinals when they have the best record in baseball, go bonkers for Kaz Matsui, but completely ignore Iguchi.
6) Pick whoever won the division last year to win it again. It's too much work to actually find out who's any good.
7) Rate teams based on how many big-name players they have. Actually finding out about all those other guys is too much work.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisox003
The guy is clearly not a Sox fan....
Right. He's a Royals fan and a disciple of Bill James.

FWIW, the Royals also made his list (for obvious reasons).