White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2005, 01:24 PM
Webmaster - French Fryer

Default "Amateur" college eligibility and the SCBA

Check out this link to the Northwoods League, playing a short season of games with teams in Ontario, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota. This is part of the Summer Collegiate Baseball Association.

Until now I didn't realize there was an entire league filled with college baseball players traveling around the upper Midwest ala professional minor league ballplayers.

My question is, "How?"

The league stipulates that all the players must still have college eligibility to play and claims none of them are paid to maintain their amateur status. However the league is quite matter-of-fact that these same ballplayers are going on extended road trips, playing ball June through August.

If they're "unpaid" how do they eat? If the team is paying for their road trip lodging, are they paying for the players' flophouse apartments in the team's hometown, too? Who's paying the rent, the utilities, the food bill, and the phone bills for calls home for money the ballplayers aren't making?

Have I mentioned recently that big time college athletics is an open sewer?

"E tu, college hardball?" Say it ain't so!
Old 01-31-2005, 05:36 PM
The Grand Wazoo

In a lot of cases the players parents are paying the way, a lot of these short season college leagues are used to display talent that doesn't get scouted much other times. Particularly if they are in cold weather climes that have a relatively short baseball season. The parents will foot the bills to get their kid pre draft exposure, especially since the games are played after the college and HS teams are done, so that scouts can make the time to attend the games.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:45 PM
WSI Personality

I have a question that I've been curious about. How does college eligibility work in general. Specifically, would a person who has a BA Degree and is currently attending grad school have any sports eligibility? This person has never played a college sport. How does this work? Does the eligibility start immediately when a student enrolls in college, or does it start the moment a kid starts on a team?

I was always curious about that.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

They could also be living with a host family. My g/f's brother does the same thing playing hockey down in Texas. Usually there are a few families who have kids elsewhere playing, or just like to be around the team and take a few kids in.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

I am wondering about college baseball players and agents. The baseball draft is at the end of the college baseball season (pretty sure it's usually at the beginning of the NCAA tourney) and I think some of the players have agents at the time. But if a college basketball player hires an agent before the end of the year he loses eligibility.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:31 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRowand
I am wondering about college baseball players and agents. The baseball draft is at the end of the college baseball season (pretty sure it's usually at the beginning of the NCAA tourney) and I think some of the players have agents at the time. But if a college basketball player hires an agent before the end of the year he loses eligibility.
Your wrong.

The same NCAA rules apply to all college sports, collegiate players cannot have agents.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:29 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRowand
Players get around this rule by making the agent one of their "advisors". That's how, for instance, Wade Townsend can be "advised" in his negotiations with the Baltimore Orioles and still return to pitch at Rice when things go south. The difference between agent and advisor, I believe, is a signed contract.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:10 PM
WSI Regular

As I wrote in the other thread, all you have to do is drive to Route 53 and about 55th Street on the border of Naperville and Lisle to see the best college players in the country play in the inaugural season for the DuPage Dragons. www.dupagedragons.com The team is loaded with talent from all over the southwest conference and California. A new $11,000,000 sports complex with 1200 seats and room [with party decks and berm seating] for 3000 fan is set to open this summer. I can't wait. It's literally 5 minutes from home.

WRONG