White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2005, 12:19 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Why the hostility for greedy ex-sox?

If you were a heck of a ball player expecting the team that you have been with for the majority of your career to reward you for what you have done, would you look elswhere when they lowball you?

Naturally, all of us would play for the league minimum even if we were all stars- so long it was with the Sox. But if you were not a fan of any team growing up, currently working for a team that has a history of burning every bridge possible when it comes to superstars, what would make you want to stick around?

Fisk, Robbin, even the Oz are just a few of the players that were run out of town by the Sox brass (JR). How can every be so down on a greedy Mags? Old timers, hasn't this been the story with just about every big name player that has walked since at least the JR era?

"I've thought about opening a bottle of champagne and pouring it on my teammates' heads. I don't care about my stats, just as long as we win. That gets us closer to my goal." C. Politte
Old 01-29-2005, 12:32 AM
WSI High Priest

Maggs wasn't lowballed. He was offered way more than what he'll get with whatever contract he signs and he turned it down.

Old 01-29-2005, 12:45 AM
WSI Church Elder

What was it they claimed to have offered him? 15 per for 4 years? No differed money, IIRC. He wanted 17 per year for 5, right? Not exactly a slap in the face but when you think about the history of JR's schemes I find it hard to believe that they acually offered what they claimed to.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:03 AM
WSI High Priest

KW is pretty good to his word
Old 01-29-2005, 01:05 AM
Parking Lot Attendant

It's not just a Sox thing. Believe me, this happens everywhere. Look at any team where a big name free agent leaves the team. The player is always called greedy, etc. while people wish bad things on him. I remember reading an Astros board during the Beltran deadline. Before the deadline all the posts were along the lines of, "Come on Carlos, come back to Houston! We love you here and you'll have a great future here." Minutes after the deadline passed and Beltran couldn't go back to the Astros, the very same people were saying, "Beltran's a greedy pig! I hope he blows out his knee. I hope he does awful in New York!" It happens everywhere, regardless of how long the player has been on a team, what he has done for the team, how good of a person he is, etc.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:18 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubbiesuck13
If you were a heck of a ball player expecting the team that you have been with for the majority of your career to reward you for what you have done, would you look elswhere when they lowball you?

Naturally, all of us would play for the league minimum even if we were all stars- so long it was with the Sox. But if you were not a fan of any team growing up, currently working for a team that has a history of burning every bridge possible when it comes to superstars, what would make you want to stick around?

Fisk, Robbin, even the Oz are just a few of the players that were run out of town by the Sox brass (JR). How can every be so down on a greedy Mags? Old timers, hasn't this been the story with just about every big name player that has walked since at least the JR era?
Maggs wasn't lowballed at all, deferred money or not he got more then a fair offer. For me my dislike for maggs is because he left badmouthing the sox and their organization, if he didn't want to be here...fine but not need to bad mouth the organization, imo he's a grade A a-hole and I hope he rots away in Detroit or wherever he ends up.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:30 AM
Official Professor

Because, when is enough enough?

These guys are offered more for one year than the fans will make in their lifetimes, and they feel "insulted" by the offer.

I live in Minnesota. I've just lived through listening to Sprewell talking about how he has to feed his family on $14 million a year.

Athletes are entitled to whatever they can get paid. They aren't entitled to have our support for their ever increasing demands.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 01-29-2005, 01:38 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox
Because, when is enough enough?

These guys are offered more for one year than the fans will make in their lifetimes, and they feel "insulted" by the offer.

I live in Minnesota. I've just lived through listening to Sprewell talking about how he has to feed his family on $14 million a year.

Athletes are entitled to whatever they can get paid. They aren't entitled to have our support for their ever increasing demands.
I agree about the overpaying, but I don't think that is the issue here. I was reffering to the club turning it's back on a player that was a fan favorite. Not just Mags but the other players who have left the team feeling bitten. IE: Fisk wearing a Red Sox cap at the HOF.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:46 AM
Banned

Quote:

I agree with you 100%, but we are by far in the minority. It seems like most people have forgotten how good he was for the sox. They gave him a fair offer, but a lot of it was backloaded. He would have gotten more on the open market if not for his unfortunate injury. Plus it was his first time to test the FA market as a star. If the tigers are gonna give him what is reported, I dont fault him at all. If you had a choice of a 5 year deal worth that much or a 1 year incentive laden deal at a reduced price, what would you do. I wish maggs had not gotten hurt. I wish he was still here. But hes not. I dont wish ill on him, but the best of luck unless he is playing the sox. If he signs with the tigers he will become a gigantic thorn in our side. But still better than with the cubs. Ive seen the white sox treat player after player like ****, so I dont buy any of their crap
Old 01-29-2005, 01:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUsoxfan
Maggs wasn't lowballed. He was offered way more than what he'll get with whatever contract he signs and he turned it down.
He was lowballed, considering at the time he was healthy and at the top of his game. He would have gotten a huge deal if he had a normal healthy season last year
Old 01-29-2005, 01:51 AM
WSI High Priest

Hey, what goes around comes around. Doesn't anybody else remember the reaction throughout baseball, and particularly in Cleveland, when the Sox signed Albert Belle?

SMO
Old 01-29-2005, 01:55 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
... Not just Mags but the other players who have left the team feeling bitten. IE: Fisk wearing a Red Sox cap at the HOF.
And Fisk left the Red Sox to come to the White Sox angry at them.

Come on, you cannot hold management responsible for the egos of pro athletes. Their egos are what makes them great, but also makes them unable to be rational in their judgment of their own situation. Fisk couldn't accept that his skills had eroded and blamed the Sox for it. I wish it hadn't been such, and that Carlton was currently part of the organization imparting his desire and dedication to our young players. But it's not all the fault of the Sox.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox
And Fisk left the Red Sox to come to the White Sox angry at them.

Come on, you cannot hold management responsible for the egos of pro athletes. Their egos are what makes them great, but also makes them unable to be rational in their judgment of their own situation. Fisk couldn't accept that his skills had eroded and blamed the Sox for it. I wish it hadn't been such, and that Carlton was currently part of the organization imparting his desire and dedication to our young players. But it's not all the fault of the Sox.
ok, what about the Oz? He said that he would have signed the league minimum to stay but they pushed him out the door even though they had no major league ready SS becuase he said things about Bevington (I think that is the story). Bevington was then replaced and the Oz moved around. 13 years with the same club gives you some leeway to speak your mind I would think. I don't know what happened with Ventura or with McDowell. Do you remember?
Old 01-29-2005, 03:10 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I agree about the overpaying, but I don't think that is the issue here. I was reffering to the club turning it's back on a player that was a fan favorite. Not just Mags but the other players who have left the team feeling bitten. IE: Fisk wearing a Red Sox cap at the HOF.
Fisk should be wearing a red sox hat in the hall of fame eventhough he plyed more for the White Sox. He was more known for his moments with the Red Sox and I have no problem with that.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:50 AM
WSI Regular

Post Lowballed???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChisoxfaninMinny
He was lowballed, considering at the time he was healthy and at the top of his game. He would have gotten a huge deal if he had a normal healthy season last year
How is 4 years at $15 million with no deferred money lowballed? This was AFTER he got hurt and was recovering (Aug-Sept timeframe). He was NOT lowballed at all, he got a very competitive offer.

Ordonez gambled and lost, that's all. He had a sure thing in one hand and he had the dream of a bigger pay-day in the other (no doubt thanks to Scott Boras whispering in his ear), and he under-estimated the seriousness of his injury. End of story.

I'm not saying he did wrong and I wish the man well, but he exhibited no loyalty to the Sox, they were just another employer to him. He got burned chasing dollars that weren't there, and so he'll settle for $50 million from the Tigers, and the rest of us will go to work at real jobs.