White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2005, 09:33 PM
WSI Personality

Default I Need help persudaing someone...

On a message board there is this guy who is saying that our offseason was horrible. I tried my best to defend the Sox, but I need your guys help since your more learned than I am. If none of you guys respond, I understand.

Here is what he said:

1) everyone knows the red sox D sucked last year. cabrera made good plays the numbers didn't bear out, but renteria is a GG caliber SS coming in to gobble up ground balls. how's that for defense? we'll see how uribe does with a full year of wear and tear at the position. either way, no matter how bad the red sox defense is, it doesn't change the fact that chicago's is below average.

2) people at the top of your lineup wont get on base. i can't speak for the japanese guy, but podsednik doesn't have ANY evidence that his 2003 season was anything but a fluke. by the same token, even when these people get on base, paul konerko doesn't hit on the road, so he WON'T drive these people in the few times they get on base. he has a 240ba and doesn't walk much. that's 81 games he's basically gonna suck up for you. he padded his #'s bigtime at the Cell last year. this offense is going down in flames unless the big hurt bats third and somehow manages to take care of the guys at the top.

3) podsednik's old. minor league service time counts too. the fact he was 27 when he broke in shows he couldn't have developed into that great of a player.

4) i said the rotation was 2 guys deep, not the bullpen. you're gonna be in for a big shock when cy contreras gets knocked around again. if you get more than 120ip out of el duque, that'll be a shock too. when someone goes down, you're bringing in some of the same **** that started a handful of games last year, and then it's all going to hell.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vestigio
On a message board there is this guy who is saying that our offseason was horrible. I tried my best to defend the Sox, but I need your guys help since your more learned than I am. If none of you guys respond, I understand.

Here is what he said:

1) everyone knows the red sox D sucked last year. cabrera made good plays the numbers didn't bear out, but renteria is a GG caliber SS coming in to gobble up ground balls. how's that for defense? we'll see how uribe does with a full year of wear and tear at the position. either way, no matter how bad the red sox defense is, it doesn't change the fact that chicago's is below average.

2) people at the top of your lineup wont get on base. i can't speak for the japanese guy, but podsednik doesn't have ANY evidence that his 2003 season was anything but a fluke. by the same token, even when these people get on base, paul konerko doesn't hit on the road, so he WON'T drive these people in the few times they get on base. he has a 240ba and doesn't walk much. that's 81 games he's basically gonna suck up for you. he padded his #'s bigtime at the Cell last year. this offense is going down in flames unless the big hurt bats third and somehow manages to take care of the guys at the top.

3) podsednik's old. minor league service time counts too. the fact he was 27 when he broke in shows he couldn't have developed into that great of a player.

4) i said the rotation was 2 guys deep, not the bullpen. you're gonna be in for a big shock when cy contreras gets knocked around again. if you get more than 120ip out of el duque, that'll be a shock too. when someone goes down, you're bringing in some of the same **** that started a handful of games last year, and then it's all going to hell.
Hahaha none of us respond?? This is WSI you're posting at. We'll respond in droves I'm sure.
This guy is talking about a worst worst worst case scenario. This assumes that absolutely nothing will go right. He skipped over Iguchi, conveniently ignoring his .394 OBP and .333 Avg. in 2004. He didn't talk about the bullpen. As for the rotation, everyone's going to have a bad game or two here and there, but El Duque has experience and has proven how good he is. Contreras has shown flashes of brilliance. Recall that he started the last game of the season and didn't give up any runs. We won that game 5-0. Podsednik admitted he was trying to do too much in '04. Again, he has shown what he can do. It's hard to say that's a fluke (don't bring up Loaiza to me--pitching is a different thing altogether in terms of flukes).
As for Konerko, if he sucks on the road then bat him 7th on the road. Dye can hit 4th.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Don't bother wasting your time with that baseball "scholar". Just wait until the season begins and the REAL sox prove him wrong. Konerko's home/away splits are VERY similar career wise, last year was just an aberration on the road IMO. The white sox defense wasn't below average last year, according to some stat that was posted in the clubhouse earlier today. They were top 4 in terms of defense, despite having Ross Gload in the OF for some games.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:51 PM
WSI Personality

I just figured most of you guys would say "You shouldnt care what other teams think about the Sox" or something like that. Most of what you said I told that guy. But if you want a better idea of what this guy is talking about go here...

http://www.gamefaqs.com

...the user name of the guy that I am arguing with is JusticeGuy. I am MightyPaleHose
Old 01-25-2005, 09:52 PM
WSI Personality

^^^That was to Whitesox029
Old 01-25-2005, 09:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Now that I know it's gamefaqs, I definitely wouldn't waste time! You're probably arguing with a 10 year old, which is like talking to a wall.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:00 PM
WSI Personality

I know, but he seems to know a little bit about baseball.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:10 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vestigio
I know, but he seems to know a little bit about baseball.
Yes - Little being the key word in that sentence. He's a troll. Just ignore him.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 01-25-2005, 10:14 PM
WSI Personality

I have been ignoring him, but anyways thanks guys for the advice
Old 01-26-2005, 03:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Tadahito Iguchi is so good in Japan he will conquer and destroy all Yankees haha. Tadahito Iguchi is smart player and all Yankees are stupid players...HAHAHA. Yankees better watch out for the Red Sox because we will win world series soon, very soon, like now soon. Tadahito Iguchi is good, hes fast like Ichiro and strong like GODZILLA.
This is another quote from that site, showing how much most of the posters there know about baseball (you must be an excpetion, Vestigio ).
This guy thinks the RED Sox signed Iguchi, and he doesn't seem to realize that the Red Sox just won the World Series last year.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:04 PM
WSI Personality

yeah I read that last night, but he is obviously a troll
Old 01-26-2005, 07:26 PM
WSI Personality

If you want to see fans that are really clueless (especially the first Cub fan's post) look here.

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gen...topic=18904342
Old 01-26-2005, 07:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

With apologies to anyone here who likes video games, but probably actually get out into the real world and do other things, that web site looks like it's populated by either 10-11 year olds, and 40 year olds who live in their parents basement, and look like Comic Book Store Guy on the Simpsons.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:04 PM
WSI Personality

I am 18 just to let you know
Old 01-26-2005, 09:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXPHILE
With apologies to anyone here who likes video games, but probably actually get out into the real world and do other things, that web site looks like it's populated by either 10-11 year olds, and 40 year olds who live in their parents basement, and look like Comic Book Store Guy on the Simpsons.
HAAA...I thought the same thing....40 year old unemployed men living in their parents basement with nothing else to do other than to argue about "baseball" on a video game site...

Other than Yahoo, this is the only site I EVER go on to read about BASEBALL...I wouldnt even bother with other sites, its all B.S.