White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2005, 02:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmusacch
How do you know so much about the minor leaguers? Where do you get the info?
Aside from seeing the games myself or talking to people who do? That's the primary source. Talk to scouts at games, read the various prospect reports available, etc etc. You learn far more about the prospects by talking to the scouts or the media relations people at the various locations...

For instance. I don't think I'd ever seen Fransisco Hernandez's name mentioned on any website or prospect lists before I saw him in Bristol this year. After 3 days I basically walked out of the stadium thinking I'd just seen the Sox' future at the position. Now he's showing up all over the place...

Soxxos, it's way too hard to place any kind of %'s on him at this point. Given his track record, I'd say it's less than 50-50 he ever becomes a major league regular, but then again, I also would say McCarthy is only at about an 80-90% chance all things considered, just too many variables and possible roadblocks.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:55 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by minastirith67
I sure hope Honel is taking care of himself, but I saw him recently getting plastered at a bar back home in Kankakee, that can't be good for his body. I've heard he parties quite a bit. I truly hope his act is together enough to make a lasting contribution in the big leagues, particularly with the Sox.
Every PCHS grad knows how to handle his liquor!
Ahoy Celtics.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:06 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal81
Every PCHS grad knows how to handle his liquor!
Ahoy Celtics.
If he would have chosen to go his local public school, Bradley-Bourbonnais, he could have won a AA state championship in 2001 with his local friends. Instead he runs off to some private school for the privilege of showing off to the scouts (I assume).

CHAMPIONS

21 May 2008
Old 01-26-2005, 10:41 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by minastirith67
If he would have chosen to go his local public school, Bradley-Bourbonnais, he could have won a AA state championship in 2001 with his local friends. Instead he runs off to some private school for the privilege of showing off to the scouts (I assume).
Don't forget that his dad worked up in that area, IIRC as a teacher. Plus, Providence isn't just some private school, staunt tradition in Football, Wrestling and Baseball; they are also highly regarded in academics, the same can't be said for BB on the whole.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:47 PM
New At WSI

Remember Honels two best minor league years were at Kannapolis and Winston-Salem, his velocity in both places probably averaged 88 mph on the radar guns well below the velocity he had back in High School. The reason for his success was his command of his pitches and the ability to use his curve and change up at any time in the count. I'm not worried about the velocity, I'm worried about comment his father made about his mechanics getting messed up. Poor mechanics will hurt his command and his off speed pitches.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:04 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile
Another benefit of having 5 solid starters in the bigs is that it gives time for the prospects to truly develop in the minors without rushing them. It will be nice that they don't have to do to Honel what they did to Rauch.
Jon Rauch didn't benefit from being called up early, but he also didn't benefit from being 11' 4" with a 31 mph fastball.

I would also like to state for the record after talking to my dad, he says that I am throwing pain free. 12 years of rest on my enflammed elbow has done good. and I am hoping to throw a simulated game on the side within 2 weeks.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:46 AM
WSI Church Elder

I thought Honel was throwing 94-95 in high school?
Old 01-30-2005, 06:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

[QUOTE=Randar68]For instance. I don't think I'd ever seen Fransisco Hernandez's name mentioned on any website or prospect lists before I saw him in Bristol this year. After 3 days I basically walked out of the stadium thinking I'd just seen the Sox' future at the position. Now he's showing up all over the place...QUOTE]

He is listed at 5'9 and 160lb, may be Herm Schneider can give him a few pointers on eating.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:19 AM
WSI High Priest

[QUOTE=hose]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
For instance. I don't think I'd ever seen Fransisco Hernandez's name mentioned on any website or prospect lists before I saw him in Bristol this year. After 3 days I basically walked out of the stadium thinking I'd just seen the Sox' future at the position. Now he's showing up all over the place...QUOTE]

He is listed at 5'9 and 160lb, may be Herm Schneider can give him a few pointers on eating.
He doesn't appear skinny in-person. He's pretty well put-together. Not ever going to be that wide-body back there, but his got amazing feet for a kid his age/experience.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:55 PM
WSI Regular

Having gone to school with Honel, he was a real tool, but since he is in the sox farm system, I hope he recovers and is successful with the sox. On another note, I read an injury report from a scout last year and the outlook on Honel was not good. I got a feeling he will not be a factor for the White Sox and will end up going down with an arm injury in the next 2 years.

CUBS SUCK

White Sox Fans, knowing more about baseball and the cubs than their own fans since 1901.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC727
Having gone to school with Honel, he was a real tool, but since he is in the sox farm system, I hope he recovers and is successful with the sox. On another note, I read an injury report from a scout last year and the outlook on Honel was not good. I got a feeling he will not be a factor for the White Sox and will end up going down with an arm injury in the next 2 years.
Too bad he didn't really have a diagnosable injury.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:18 PM
WSI Personality

It's great to hear he is getting his mechanics down and getting that fastball back up there. I'll tell ya from experience, I had the pleasure (or torture) of batting against Honel in high school when I played for Sandburg and it was no surprise that he was playing in the minor league system out of high school. He is a good kid and a heck of a ball player. If he stays healthy he will be great in the Sox's roation in a few years.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:23 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC727

what do you mean that he was a real tool? Anyways i wish him best of luck to recover and have a future career with the White Sox. Whats really going to be exciting is seeing Tracey, B-Mac, and Honel all in the same rotation together since 1 day if everything goes right all 3 could be in the white sox rotation.