White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2005, 09:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Post Healthy Kris Honel

I recently spoke with Kris Honel's Father and he said that his son is healthy and ready to go. He has gotten his velocity back up and he's throwing in the mid 90's again. He said that the injuries last year were all induced by bad mechanics that were wearing him down but said that he has fixed them. His father said he will start the season in AA but only time will tell how long it is before he gets his shot in the bigs.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkZ35
I recently spoke with Kris Honel's Father and he said that his son is healthy and ready to go. He has gotten his velocity back up and he's throwing in the mid 90's again. He said that the injuries last year were all induced by bad mechanics that were wearing him down but said that he has fixed them. His father said he will start the season in AA but only time will tell how long it is before he gets his shot in the bigs.
Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong but I thought he was never throwing mid 90's since he's been in the sox organization??
Old 01-24-2005, 09:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEO Magglio
Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong but I thought he was never throwing mid 90's since he's been in the sox organization??
I hope his father is correct.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/downo...m/1430983.html

Honel throws in the low-to-mid 90s, has an evil curveball, and knows what to do with it.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I hope his father is correct.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/downo...m/1430983.html

Honel throws in the low-to-mid 90s, has an evil curveball, and knows what to do with it.
Once again I could be wrong about this but I think that was the scouting report on him coming out of hs but he never really threw that hard since entering the sox organization.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:49 PM
WSI Personality

I sure hope Honel is taking care of himself, but I saw him recently getting plastered at a bar back home in Kankakee, that can't be good for his body. I've heard he parties quite a bit. I truly hope his act is together enough to make a lasting contribution in the big leagues, particularly with the Sox.

CHAMPIONS

21 May 2008
Old 01-24-2005, 10:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Once again I could be wrong about this but I think that was the scouting report on him coming out of hs but he never really threw that hard since entering the sox organization.
Honel has had velocity consistency issues in the past, but his father's supposed comments are in-line with what I had heard, although I think his "mid-90's" really means 90-91. Anything harder than that and I believe he's probably overthrowing. His curve is a knuckle-curve, a very effective pitch, particularly if Kris can add another plus offspeed pitch to set it up (either his ever developing change or something else down the line). I think he must come up with another effective and trusted off-speed pitch (in addition to the obvious health concerns) to ever be more than a mediocre MLB pitcher, but I think that's not asking too much...
Old 01-24-2005, 10:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Honel has had velocity consistency issues in the past, but his father's supposed comments are in-line with what I had heard, although I think his "mid-90's" really means 90-91. Anything harder than that and I believe he's probably overthrowing. His curve is a knuckle-curve, a very effective pitch, particularly if Kris can add another plus offspeed pitch to set it up (either his ever developing change or something else down the line). I think he must come up with another effective and trusted off-speed pitch (in addition to the obvious health concerns) to ever be more than a mediocre MLB pitcher, but I think that's not asking too much...
Gracias randar, that's what I thought, I didn't remember ever hearing Kris get up to 94-95.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Gracias randar, that's what I thought, I didn't remember ever hearing Kris get up to 94-95.
You may have read it before, but never from Daver or myself or anyone else that knows what the heck they're talking about...
Old 01-24-2005, 11:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Randar-Quick % chances of Honel being a solid major league pitcher. Please take into account his injuries. Just wondering. He slid pretty far down the holy mecca of the Baseball America prospect list...

Freddie, how are you getting guys out?

"throwing a bunch of bull****."
Old 01-25-2005, 08:48 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Another benefit of having 5 solid starters in the bigs is that it gives time for the prospects to truly develop in the minors without rushing them. It will be nice that they don't have to do to Honel what they did to Rauch.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 01-25-2005, 09:08 AM
WSI Prelate

Is there a top 10 Sox pitching prospects list anywhere?

I'm curious to what the experts think....

Randar - do you have your own top 10 list? That would interest me also.

VC - I just posted something similar to what you just said over on the main board. Specifically having Hermanson to spot start if someone gets hurt also enables us to really not rush Honel or any of the other prospects anytime soon.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:20 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
has an evil curveball, and knows what to do with it.
Yeah. That knuckle curve is nasty stuff.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:37 AM
WSI Church Elder

Kris can "throw" in the mid 90's, but he works in the 90- 93 range when healthy. Good to hear that his elbow is feeling better, but I won't get my hopes up until he starts getting some innings under his belt.

If Corwin Malone can find himself and work through his surgery we could have one hell of a starting staff in Birmingham.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:44 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
You may have read it before, but never from Daver or myself or anyone else that knows what the heck they're talking about...
How do you know so much about the minor leaguers? Where do you get the info?
Old 01-25-2005, 12:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Great news, if true. It was extremely disconcerting the way he fell off the face of the planet last season with no obvious explanation.