White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2005, 04:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Shocker! Cubune sayz Maggs doc sayz Cubz should sign with confidence!

Here's the link to the article:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...-sportsnew-hed

I don't know how to read into the subtitle of this article: Surgeon won't be shocked if Ordonez is ready. Doesn't exactly sound like a ringing endorsement. If you were Ordonez and Borass, wouldn't you want it to say that the surgeon would be shocked if he wasn't ready? Oh well, maybe I'm reading too much into that statement.

Oh and by the way, the Trib just couldn't help getting this line in:

Quote:
In case the Cubs or other major-league teams are wondering about that recovery, Schaden sees no medical reason the right fielder he helped repair last summer cannot return to full strength by spring training.
And this line:

Quote:
In the case of Ordonez, that reduced his rehab time from six months to three months--to December rather than March. For a free agent such as Ordonez, the difference still could mean millions as a handful of teams, including the Cubs, maintain interest.
The Trib's Maggs-to-the-Cubs wet dream continues. I just hope it doesn't come true.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:29 PM
WSI High Priest

I interpreted this article as:

"Cubs nearing deal with Magglio."
First Pennant in 46 years CHECK
First World Series in 88 years CHECK
Old 01-19-2005, 05:45 PM
WSI Personality

If the Scrubs offer Maggs a deal, it will be a one year heavily incentive loaded deal. Cubs still have Sosa on the payroll and just shelled out more cash to Barrett and soon to be Rameriez. I see the Tigers and Orioles making the better offer to him, plus if (or when) his knee acts up, they can use him as the DH, while the NL can only put him on the bench....Of course he is going to say he is OK...he is looking for work...and he may be OK now, but lets see how it feels after 2 months of play.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

In my opinion if Maggs signs with the Cubs it's only to stick it to the Sox. I say that because, if healthy, he will undoubtedly get better financial offers from other teams. The Cubs are not in spend mode. They have a lot of arbitration cases and are also convinced their team is o.k. as is. My prediction is he has a 0% chance of being a Cub because of Boras.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:41 AM
WSI High Priest

Don't be shocked when, if Magglio signs with the Cubbies, the stories are about how much Magglio all along wanted to play with the Cubbies. The stories and Cubbie fans will say that he turned down a better offer from the Sox so that he could fulfill his long held dream of playing for the Cubbies.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 01-20-2005, 12:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad
Don't be shocked when, if Magglio signs with the Cubbies, the stories are about how much Magglio all along wanted to play with the Cubbies. The stories and Cubbie fans will say that he turned down a better offer from the Sox so that he could fulfill his long held dream of playing for the Cubbies.
Untill he leaves early durring a game, then they'll try and paun him off to Baltimore or the Mets...
Old 01-20-2005, 01:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Interesting that they would interview the surgeon who performed the first surgery rather than the Vienesse doctor who performed a much more recent procedure.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:42 PM
WSI High Priest

The story is an obvious plant, setting the stage for a possible future signing of the player. There have been similar hints thrown in that paper in the past few weeks. My question is: Is it against medical ethics for the doctor to discuss publicly a procedure performed on a patient without the permission of the patient? If so, is this all being orchestrated by the player's agent with the cooperation of the paper and being badly disguised as news stories? Oh, and the "Surgeon wouldn't be shocked" part is a reference to the shockwave treatment in keeping with the paper's new habit of snappy headlines.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeter
In my opinion if Maggs signs with the Cubs it's only to stick it to the Sox. I say that because, if healthy, he will undoubtedly get better financial offers from other teams. The Cubs are not in spend mode. They have a lot of arbitration cases and are also convinced their team is o.k. as is. My prediction is he has a 0% chance of being a Cub because of Boras.
something a contreras fastball to the leg couldnt cure!!!
Old 01-22-2005, 05:35 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxwon
something a contreras fastball to the leg couldnt cure!!!
You are class personified.

2013 Attendance Record: 7-9, .438
Old 01-22-2005, 06:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

I wish Magglio would just sign the best low-ball offer and be done with it. I'm sick of hearing about this clown.

Ozzie manages, you watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarWestChicago View Post
Yeah, they won is spite of Greg Walker, Ozzie, KW, JR and everybody else associated with that team. It's either a friggin' miracle or they knew more about what they were doing than posters here. I guess I have to go with "friggin' miracle" since the posters here obviously make any professional baseball person look like a moron.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77
Here's the link to the article:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...-sportsnew-hed

I don't know how to read into the subtitle of this article: Surgeon won't be shocked if Ordonez is ready. Doesn't exactly sound like a ringing endorsement. If you were Ordonez and Borass, wouldn't you want it to say that the surgeon would be shocked if he wasn't ready? Oh well, maybe I'm reading too much into that statement.

Oh and by the way, the Trib just couldn't help getting this line in:

And this line:

The Trib's Maggs-to-the-Cubs wet dream continues. I just hope it doesn't come true.
1) has the doc seen Maggs since the procedure? If not, how does he know if it's healing properly?

2) you don't think a doc using an experimental procedure would have a vested interest in it working and putting his work in the best possible light, do you? Nah...

As I believe PHG has said - the best evidence there is that Maggs knee is STILL not right are the actions of his agent. They've obviously decided that it maximizes his value not to have anyone look at that knee, which really only leaves one option - that a look would confirm what is now only rumored.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26
You are class personified.
actually im all for Maggs i loved the guy.
i wish him well, but NOT as a SCRUB. He is the enemy then.
after he leaves them ill cheer for him again.