White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2005, 12:04 AM
Banned

Hendry sits on his ass for a month to pull this off?

I can't believe nobody has talked about the major move the Cubs made today. Did they actually expect to improve their crappy bullpen by getting this guy?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...ntext=pitching

The Cubs traded a PTBNL for a guy who has more walks than strikeouts, with a career WHIP of 1.70?
Old 01-11-2005, 12:05 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo=dorf
I can't believe nobody has talked about the major move the Cubs made today. Did they actually expect to improve their crappy bullpen by getting this guy?

The Cubs traded a PTBNL for a guy who has more walks than strikeouts, with a career WHIP of 1.70?
Any guesses about what makes the Trib Sports front page?
Old 01-11-2005, 12:09 AM
Banned

I'm loving rotoworld's take on it:

Quote:
Cubs acquired LHP Stephen Randolph from the Diamondbacks for a player to be named.
Terribly pointless. Randolph throws hard, but he has no command and no breaking pitch to dominate lefties. The Cubs couldn't find room on their 40-man roster for Andy Sisco and Luke Hagerty, but they do have space for three borderline lefty relievers in Will Ohman, John Koronka and Randolph. Ohman is the only one likely to help them.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:04 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo=dorf

This is a nothing move. And Hendry hasn't done much lately, but this Cub team still worries me. They're division is that much weaker right now and I bet Wood and Prior are healthy all season.

Bob
Old 01-11-2005, 11:43 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosox41
...but this Cub team still worries me. They're division is that much weaker right now ....
Houston is weaker. I don't know that the division is much weaker.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:54 AM
WSI High Priest

Sounds like a lefty Kyle Farnsworth.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
This is a nothing move. And Hendry hasn't done much lately, but this Cub team still worries me. They're division is that much weaker right now and I bet Wood and Prior are healthy all season.

Bob
St. Louis is still in the NL Central right?
Old 01-11-2005, 12:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog
Houston is weaker. I don't know that the division is much weaker.
The true contenders are weaker. St. Louis lost Matheny, Williams and Renteria. Mulder better then Williams, but they need Morris to recover back to his normal self after shoulder surgery. They overpaid for Cabrera.

It's good to see the Brewers and Reds get better, but IMHO they're not true contenders as of this date (unless they make a move or other teams suffer an injury). They can beat up more on the Cub but they can do the same to Stl. and Houston so it evens out.

Bob
Old 01-11-2005, 12:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
The true contenders are weaker. St. Louis lost Matheny, Williams and Renteria. Mulder better then Williams, but they need Morris to recover back to his normal self after shoulder surgery. They overpaid for Cabrera.

It's good to see the Brewers and Reds get better, but IMHO they're not true contenders as of this date (unless they make a move or other teams suffer an injury). They can beat up more on the Cub but they can do the same to Stl. and Houston so it evens out.

Bob
I assume you're referring to Eckstein, not Cabrera.

I think their pitching is improved with the addition of Mulder. And while their offense is worse, they get a full season (or his approximation) from Walker, and still have Edmonds, Rolen, Pujols and to a lesser extent, Sanders. Their O was significantly better than the Cubs last year, so now it might just be a lot better. Cub starting pitching is obviously better, but that gap has been reduced with the addition of Mulder and the Cub swap from Clement to Rusch. Cards still have a better bullpen, and overall would have to much better than the Cubs, even before the chemistry factors come into play.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXintheBURGH
St. Louis is still in the NL Central right?
If you read the Cubune today they make it sound like the Cards will be lucky to avoid last place.

19 seasons, 9232 AB, 216 SO
Old 01-11-2005, 12:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' No. 2
If you read the Cubune today they make it sound like the Cards will be lucky to avoid last place.
I don't get the Cubune, I'll look online for it though.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXintheBURGH
I don't get the Cubune, I'll look online for it though.
Here's a hint. The headline reads:

Quiet Cubs watch enemies lose big

So I guess Cubs fans should all be overjoyed Hendry has been sitting on his hands.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:19 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' No. 2
So I guess Cubs fans should all be overjoyed Hendry has been sitting on his hands.

He's so far under the radar as to be missing altogether. Can't wait to hear the delusional WS predictions (do they ever really abate from year to year?)
Old 01-11-2005, 01:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Bob
If Prior and Wood combine for 65 starts this season, I'll buy you a case of beer.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:30 PM
Banned

Quote:

Bob
Would you consider the Roberto Alomar trade part II a "nothing" move? Why are people still complaining about it? I can only imagine the flack KW would get if he traded for this guy and lost TWO pitching prospects in the rule 5 draft.