White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2005, 03:04 PM
WSI Regular

I'm not sure how you can say the Cubs are screwed. They weren't bad last year. Disappointing, yes. Bad, no (until the last 2 weeks of the season that is). They did have a better record than the Sox and were in the playoff race until the end. The Cubs haven't made significant additions yet, but they have retained Nomar, Walker, and Rusch, three of their better players last season who were eligible for free agency. They got rid of Alou and Merker, who although productive on paper, were a big part of the dumb baseball and bad chemistry that caused the Cubs to be distracted much of the season. They still however, have Sosa and Dusty, the other side of the dumb baseball/bad chemistry equation. The Cubs offense is solid, and to be honest, probably better than the Sox. They have Lee, Ramirez, Nomar, Walker, Barrett, Patterson, and Sammy who are all solid offensively and, for the most part, equal or superior to their Sox counterpart (with the exception of Konerko). They also have a strong starting rotation even with Rusch or a rookie as their #5. The bullpen has not been upgraded, and defense is so-so. I don't see them cutting payroll. They will likely be near $100 million to start the season. If they make no more additions, they have financial flexibility to add a key player or two at the trading deadline. Just my opinion, but I think they are far from screwed and have the potential for a good season if the top of their rotation stays healthy.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:21 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueprint1
Funny how most of your posts are about the cubs or former cubs.
I'm a Chicago baseball fan. I follow both the Cubs and Sox. I'm more of a lurker than a poster. My posts are often about the Cubs to offer some balance. I actually find the Cubs hatred here quite amusing.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giallo
I'm a Chicago baseball fan. I follow both the Cubs and Sox. I'm more of a lurker than a poster. My posts are often about the Cubs to offer some balance. I actually find the Cubs hatred here quite amusing.
There should be no balance. THIS IS A WHITE SOX SITE!!!!!!

Old 01-05-2005, 05:23 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUsoxfan
There should be no balance. THIS IS A WHITE SOX SITE!!!!!!
I disagree. While I am not a fan of the Cubs by any means, this part of the site is not a White Sox board. It is talking baseball, and he is allowed to have his opinion.

Regarding the Cubs, they will be okay. Last year was their year to try and win it. My friends who are Cubs fans are open about that. Who thinks St. Loius will have the same season next year? Houston cannot rely on Oswalt only. The Reds have made some moves, if they can stay healthy, maybe they can compete for longer than a week into the season. We can only wait and see what happens. I don't know how anyone can say they're screwed before ST has even started.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:29 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSteve
I disagree. While I am not a fan of the Cubs by any means, this part of the site is not a White Sox board. It is talking baseball, and he is allowed to have his opinion.
At no point since I've been a member has Cubbie fawning been allowed on this board. Especially when one claims to be a "Chicago baseball fan".
Old 01-05-2005, 05:33 PM
WSI Personality

[QUOTE=SuperSteve]I disagree. While I am not a fan of the Cubs by any means, this part of the site is not a White Sox board. It is talking baseball, and he is allowed to have his opinion.[QUOTE]

If that were true, this site wouldn't be TOTALLY biased
Old 01-05-2005, 05:37 PM
Chief Geek - Security Guard

Quote:
I'm not sure how you can say the Cubs are screwed. They weren't bad last year. Disappointing, yes. Bad, no (until the last 2 weeks of the season that is). They did have a better record than the Sox and were in the playoff race until the end. The Cubs haven't made significant additions yet, but they have retained Nomar, Walker, and Rusch, three of their better players last season who were eligible for free agency. They got rid of Alou and Merker, who although productive on paper, were a big part of the dumb baseball and bad chemistry that caused the Cubs to be distracted much of the season. They still however, have Sosa and Dusty, the other side of the dumb baseball/bad chemistry equation. The Cubs offense is solid, and to be honest, probably better than the Sox. They have Lee, Ramirez, Nomar, Walker, Barrett, Patterson, and Sammy who are all solid offensively and, for the most part, equal or superior to their Sox counterpart (with the exception of Konerko). They also have a strong starting rotation even with Rusch or a rookie as their #5. The bullpen has not been upgraded, and defense is so-so. I don't see them cutting payroll. They will likely be near $100 million to start the season. If they make no more additions, they have financial flexibility to add a key player or two at the trading deadline. Just my opinion, but I think they are far from screwed and have the potential for a good season if the top of their rotation stays healthy.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Who died and put you in charge of policy?

Your buddy is in very thin ice. We'll see how he does.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:40 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUsoxfan
At no point since I've been a member has Cubbie fawning been allowed on this board. Especially when one claims to be a "Chicago baseball fan".
I don't understand...I am a White Sox fan first, but I am also a fan of baseball. I cheer against the Cubs, but I do not see why someone gets flack for saying the Cubs will be okay. If someone writes "The Cubs rule, Sox suck" in the White Sox section, that is different, but this is constructive IMHO.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:41 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarWestChicago
Who died and put you in charge of policy?

Your buddy is in very thin ice. We'll see how he does.
Huh? I don't know who the person is...there is a policy that you can only be a White Sox fan?
Old 01-05-2005, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Huh? I don't know who the person is...there is a policy that you can only be a White Sox fan?
No, but there is a policy that this site is a haven, a safe place for Sox fans. Flat out trolls are immediately whacked. But, what Sox fan isn't inundated with pro-Flubs crap constantly? Our members really don't want to hear Flubbie propaganda even if it's presented nicely. Does that make more sense?
Old 01-05-2005, 05:48 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarWestChicago
No, but there is a policy that this site is a haven, a safe place for Sox fans. Flat out trolls are immediately whacked. But, what Sox fan isn't inundated with pro-Flubs crap constantly? Our members really don't want to hear Flubbie propaganda even if it's presented nicely. Does that make more sense?
I agree. That is why I said if someone is trolling it's different. I think this thread is the other way to an extent. It started as a bash towards the Cubs, which is fine because it is for the Sox or something, then someone replys with a somewhat intelligent reply. Had he/she replied "the Sox suck, Cubs rule the world" or something, then I could see him getting flack. I don't see the deal with him being a "fan of Chicago baseball" though.

I think we are on the same page on this one.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:26 PM
WSI Regular

Wow. What controversy.

Sox rule. Cubs suck.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Sox rule. Cubs suck.
That's the spirit!
Old 01-05-2005, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I don't see the deal with him being a "fan of Chicago baseball" though.
You missed the whole UICJason fiasco I guess.