White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2005, 10:18 PM
Banned

Default Flubs are screwed

I've been sick of hearing Flub fans at my school saying they have the best pitchers in baseball. I fired back today asking who their 5th starter would be this year. I pointed out most pitchers worth anything have been signed.

I got no reply.

I moved on to asking about closer and one person said Kyle Farnsworth and he was actually glad telling me how much better he is than Shingo. I about **** my pants laughing at that one. I asked about the rest of the bullpen and got no reply.

Does anyone smell a real bad season for the Flubs? I bet their 5th starter situation will resemble ours last year, but add that with a lack of a bullpen, which wasn't our problem last year.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:22 PM
WSI High Priest

I refer you to this thread

Old 01-04-2005, 10:22 PM
WSI Regular

Does anyone smell a real bad season for the Flubs?

We can only hope!
Old 01-05-2005, 09:23 AM
WSI Regular

Default Cubs Pitching Staff.

THe fifth starter is Glendon Rusch and Ryan Dempster is supposed to be the closer but Borowski, Hawkins and Farnsworth will most likely get a shot.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

I believe the Cubune is cutting payroll from the looks of their lack of moves.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:11 PM
WSI Personality

And, let's not forget an angry and pouting Sammy. This is going to be a great year.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowBatting19
Does anyone smell a real bad season for the Flubs?

We can only hope!
That's just the normal urine smell coming from the north side.

19 seasons, 9232 AB, 216 SO
Old 01-05-2005, 12:22 PM
WSI High Priest

I wouldn't exactly call having Prior/Wood/Zambrano/Maddux being "screwed". They have a better rotation than most teams, the White Sox included.

They can still go out and sign Beltran and/or Magglio. Even if they don't, they're still favorites for their division. I'd love to proclaim that they are screwed, but you just can't do that at this point.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 01-05-2005, 12:27 PM
WSI High Priest

It all comes down to health. The cubs had a more talented roster at the end of last season but still finished third. Minus Clement, Alou, etc. and with no significant offseason acquisitions to date, they badly need full, healthy seasons from Prior and Wood. We'll see if that materializes, but, given their history, cub fans with more than five brain cells should be pretty upset if they miss out on Beltran.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:27 PM
WSI Personality

I've heard recent talks of them signing Burnitz to play left field. I think their success depends on the play of Sosa, Patterson, and Garciaparra. If they can have good seasons I think they will take the division. Assuming that Prior bounces back. However, Sosa being on the team after all that has happened could be a huge problem.

Just take the pen.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish
I wouldn't exactly call having Prior/Wood/Zambrano/Maddux being "screwed". They have a better rotation than most teams, the White Sox included.

They can still go out and sign Beltran and/or Magglio. Even if they don't, they're still favorites for their division. I'd love to proclaim that they are screwed, but you just can't do that at this point.
Favorites? With that offense? ST Louis is the favorite by far. If Houston retains Beltran & Rocket, Cubs will be in 3d.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish

The day you proclaim the Cubbies screwed, will be the day I eat my keyboard. Have you gotten around to declaring them screwed for 2004 yet? It's okay, you can say it: they are screwed (for 2004).
Old 01-05-2005, 03:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giallo
I'm not sure how you can say the Cubs are screwed. They weren't bad last year. Disappointing, yes. Bad, no (until the last 2 weeks of the season that is). They did have a better record than the Sox and were in the playoff race until the end. The Cubs haven't made significant additions yet, but they have retained Nomar, Walker, and Rusch, three of their better players last season who were eligible for free agency. They got rid of Alou and Merker, who although productive on paper, were a big part of the dumb baseball and bad chemistry that caused the Cubs to be distracted much of the season. They still however, have Sosa and Dusty, the other side of the dumb baseball/bad chemistry equation. The Cubs offense is solid, and to be honest, probably better than the Sox. They have Lee, Ramirez, Nomar, Walker, Barrett, Patterson, and Sammy who are all solid offensively and, for the most part, equal or superior to their Sox counterpart (with the exception of Konerko). They also have a strong starting rotation even with Rusch or a rookie as their #5. The bullpen has not been upgraded, and defense is so-so. I don't see them cutting payroll. They will likely be near $100 million to start the season. If they make no more additions, they have financial flexibility to add a key player or two at the trading deadline. Just my opinion, but I think they are far from screwed and have the potential for a good season if the top of their rotation stays healthy.

Sig professionally designed by WSI's own Michelle
Old 01-05-2005, 03:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I'm not sure how you can say the Cubs are screwed. They weren't bad last year. Disappointing, yes. Bad, no (until the last 2 weeks of the season that is). They did have a better record than the Sox and were in the playoff race until the end. The Cubs haven't made significant additions yet, but they have retained Nomar, Walker, and Rusch, three of their better players last season who were eligible for free agency. They got rid of Alou and Merker, who although productive on paper, were a big part of the dumb baseball and bad chemistry that caused the Cubs to be distracted much of the season. They still however, have Sosa and Dusty, the other side of the dumb baseball/bad chemistry equation. The Cubs offense is solid, and to be honest, probably better than the Sox. They have Lee, Ramirez, Nomar, Walker, Barrett, Patterson, and Sammy who are all solid offensively and, for the most part, equal or superior to their Sox counterpart (with the exception of Konerko). They also have a strong starting rotation even with Rusch or a rookie as their #5. The bullpen has not been upgraded, and defense is so-so. I don't see them cutting payroll. They will likely be near $100 million to start the season. If they make no more additions, they have financial flexibility to add a key player or two at the trading deadline. Just my opinion, but I think they are far from screwed and have the potential for a good season if the top of their rotation stays healthy.
Funny how most of your posts are about the cubs or former cubs.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:14 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
They have Lee, Ramirez, Nomar, Walker, Barrett, Patterson, and Sammy who are all solid offensively and, for the most part, equal or superior to their Sox counterpart (with the exception of Konerko).
That reminded me of my awful dream I had last night, we traded Konerko to the flubs for Barret.