White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2004, 08:16 AM
WSI Regular

Post What IF the Cubs had to play at Sox park during (if) rehab

Was listening to am1000 today and it was brought up. Wondering your thought's. Have a good X-mas all !
Old 12-23-2004, 08:26 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

We triple beer prices. Double food prices. Fireworks when opposing team homers. Make them bow to a Sox logo upon entry to the park.

Use the extra $$$ to sign their top targeted FAs.

Sounds like a plan to me!

All hail The Rick
Old 12-23-2004, 08:26 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesouthside
Was listening to am1000 today and it was brought up. Wondering your thought's. Have a good X-mas all !
BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-23-2004, 08:48 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry
Fireworks when opposing team homers.
The firework idea would be awesome!
Old 12-23-2004, 08:52 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry
We triple beer prices. Double food prices. Fireworks when opposing team homers. Make them bow to a Sox logo upon entry to the park.

Use the extra $$$ to sign their top targeted FAs.

I absolutely doubled over laughing at this .............HEHH HEHH HEH HEH
Fireworks when opposing team homers!

I would think Uncle Jerry is SALIVATING at the prospect of his beloved cubs
playing at our park, and HIM MAKING MONEY. Unfortuneately, he would
just Pocket the Loot
" The 2006 White Sox..... simply didn't have the hunger of the Twins or Tigers" - SunTimes columnist and SOX fan Richard Roeper
Old 12-23-2004, 08:53 AM
WSI High Priest

Move them to Vegas forever, or contract them with Florida.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:54 AM
WSI Personality

As long as the Sox get to keep most of the revenue from ticket sales. And, hey for all of those inclined, go to those games. Boo the heck out of the Cubs. Can you imagine on National Tv(WGN), the Cubs being booed in Chicago..at their suedo-home-park? How cool would that be?

How would the rest of the civilized baseball handle it? Their beloved Cubbies getting booed loudly in Chicago? And, them saying "hey where is this place their playing--where did THAT ballpark come from?"

I also posted this in another thread:

Maybe Wrigley is near the end of it's life. Last Sept, when I was at a Sox game, I spoke with an on-duty Chicago police officer. He said that the Tribune company owns land(Western and California?) near Gordon Tech. He said that there are plans for a new Cubs ballpark to be built there. He said to look for that to happen no later than 2016 though.

And he also said that if/when this does happen, they would be turning Wrigley into condos. They would keep the field and the ivy and the bleachers, but the rest of the park would be gutted and turned into condos.

So maybe this whole thing with the falling concrete, the renovations and the squabbles with the Wrigleyille residents is part of a scheme. This all could be a way to ease them out of Wrigley and give them a good excuse to build a new ballpark.

The officer also mentioned that JR controls all of the liquor licenses around the Bridgeport area, and that's why you don't see many bars around the ballpark
Old 12-23-2004, 09:21 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesouthside
It wouldn't bother me one bit. I kind of like the fact that the Cubbie fans would be "forced" to go to a park they despise. Also, the psychological affect of Cub fans knowing the White Sox organization bailed them out would be priceless. That way, when they criticize the Cell in subsequent years, we can call them ungrateful ingrates.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:24 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnut

Maybe Wrigley is near the end of it's life. Last Sept, when I was at a Sox game, I spoke with an on-duty Chicago police officer. He said that the Tribune company owns land(Western and California?) near Gordon Tech. He said that there are plans for a new Cubs ballpark to be built there. He said to look for that to happen no later than 2016 though.

And he also said that if/when this does happen, they would be turning Wrigley into condos. They would keep the field and the ivy and the bleachers, but the rest of the park would be gutted and turned into condos.

So maybe this whole thing with the falling concrete, the renovations and the squabbles with the Wrigleyille residents is part of a scheme. This all could be a way to ease them out of Wrigley and give them a good excuse to build a new ballpark.

The officer also mentioned that JR controls all of the liquor licenses around the Bridgeport area, and that's why you don't see many bars around the ballpark
Very intersting, although my reply may warrant a move to Talking Baseball...

Here's a mapquest map of the area between California & Western at Addison, where Gordon Tech is. Notice it's near the North Branch of the Chicago River. Anyone live in this area who knows what's in this area, if this rumor has any truth?
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:24 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
As long as the Sox get to keep most of the revenue from ticket sales. And, hey for all of those inclined, go to those games. Boo the heck out of the Cubs. Can you imagine on National Tv(WGN), the Cubs being booed in Chicago..at their suedo-home-park? How cool would that be?

How would the rest of the civilized baseball handle it? Their beloved Cubbies getting booed loudly in Chicago? And, them saying "hey where is this place their playing--where did THAT ballpark come from?"

While that is an interesting and possible scenario, I wonder how much faith I would put into what a Chicago cop has to say about the Cubs and their stadium plans. I live in Boston and heard all the ridiculous speculation about moving Fenway here, there and everywhere, and none of them came to fruition.

My guess is eventually they will have to move, but they won't do it any time soon. They are going to milk that park and the nostalgia until that place falls apart...

Oh and if the Cubs do play at Comiskey, "Hey Hey Hey Goodbye" should be sung whenever a Cubs pitcher is pulled...
Old 12-23-2004, 09:28 AM
WSI Prelate

Is this the site of remote parking lots for Cubs games? I seem to remember parking well to the west of the Urinal and then taking a shuttle bus to the stadium about 15 years ago when the All-Star game was played there. I didn't actually go to the game, but to the All-Star Workout / Home Run Derby / Old Timer's game (when Dick Allen launched a mammoth homer almost to the scoreboard in straight-away center field and Erned Banks made multiple errors) the day before. Anyway, at that time the place where we parked was a massive piece of empty land near what looked to be a high school.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:31 AM
WSI Personality

I wouldn't mind it. The only thing that scares me is, dare I say, they won the whole thing at our place. Talk about not hearing the end of that. God help us.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:35 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolanski
While that is an interesting and possible scenario, I wonder how much faith I would put into what a Chicago cop has to say about the Cubs and their stadium plans. I live in Boston and heard all the ridiculous speculation about moving Fenway here, there and everywhere, and none of them came to fruition.

My guess is eventually they will have to move, but they won't do it any time soon. They are going to milk that park and the nostalgia until that place falls apart...

Oh and if the Cubs do play at Comiskey, "Hey Hey Hey Goodbye" should be sung whenever a Cubs pitcher is pulled...
Well, as I also mentioned, I think, in that post, that it wouldn't happen until 2016.

But as to keep this as a White Sox post, what do you think about that stuff about JR controlling the liquor licenses around Bridgeport? Therefore no bars, and nothing for the poor Cub fans to do before and after the game?
Old 12-23-2004, 09:37 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo
Is this the site of remote parking lots for Cubs games? I seem to remember parking well to the west of the Urinal and then taking a shuttle bus to the stadium about 15 years ago when the All-Star game was played there. I didn't actually go to the game, but to the All-Star Workout / Home Run Derby / Old Timer's game (when Dick Allen launched a mammoth homer almost to the scoreboard in straight-away center field and Erned Banks made multiple errors) the day before. Anyway, at that time the place where we parked was a massive piece of empty land near what looked to be a high school.
Not sure, but that sounds right to me. I could imagine that they would have land by the river, and it probably would be designed like PNC or SBC of course, and get alot of accolades.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:52 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Well, as I also mentioned, I think, in that post, that it wouldn't happen until 2016.

But as to keep this as a White Sox post, what do you think about that stuff about JR controlling the liquor licenses around Bridgeport? Therefore no bars, and nothing for the poor Cub fans to do before and after the game?
poor Cub fan? what about the poor white sox fan??? I doubt he has control over the liquor licenses, but certainly, being who he is, has influence. But it also doesn't exactly serve his best interests to quell the nightlife around the park. I think the lack of bars has more to do with the neighborhood than JR. It has gotten much, much better around there than in the past, but it still has a bad rep.