White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2001, 12:39 PM
WSI Regular

Default Upcoming trades

I know there's been some speculation -- some worthwhile and some not -- but are there any pending offers out there for some of our guys? I personally am a little surprised that nobody is throwing Howry's name out there. He's a quality guy who can give some quality innings...he just happens to be struggling a little lately. I figure some contenders would be all over him.
Old 07-22-2001, 12:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Post Scouts at yesterday's game

Well, I know that there were scouts for the D'Backs, Dodgers, Rockies, and Phillies at yesterday's game. I know that all of those are in the market for a starter, except for the Rockies. Maybe the Rockies are looking to dump some salary and they were gonna trade someone to Boston for a young pitcher like Ohka. Other than that I don't know anything you don't probably.

"I never know anything you don't, then again I don't know anything."
Todd Hundley hits 2 HRs off them in 1 game
They lose a series to the Cubs
They lose 3 games in a row to the Tigers
Old 07-22-2001, 01:05 PM
WSI Regular

I went looking on the net for trade runors. This is one of the articles I found. I just wonder why web plubishers leave these old articles on their site.

This is from
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/colmel88.htm

Trade rumors abound as deadline looms

Trade rumors have been flying around baseball since before the All-Star break.

Friday and Saturday, though, is when general managers start getting down to the actual business.

"The next two days, I'll stay by the phone,'' Baltimore Orioles general manager Frank Wren says. "This is when teams start getting specific.''

The pulse of this year's trade market is that every team wants a No. 1 pitcher, but none are available.

Most baseball feel there will be no blockbuster deals, but a lot of players will move, especially second-level pitchers and reserves.

The most likely deal will be Cleveland getting Anaheim left-handed pitcher Chuck Finley, who is 16-9 lifetime vs. the New York Yankees.
The Indians have their worst pitching staff of the 1990s. They need to do something.

The hitch is that Anaheim would like Richie Sexson. The Indians are more likely to deal infielder Enrique Wilson and a minor-league pitcher.

- Looks like the teams with the best chance to get Tampa Bay pitcher Rolondo Arrojo are either Cleveland or Cincinnati.

- The talk is that Texas will wind up with Baltimore right-hander Juan Guzman.

- The Minnesota Twins have two relievers, lefty Eddie Guardado and Mike Trombley. Also, the Twins would like to trade outfielder Marty Cordova, but nobody wants him.

- Wouldn't it make sense for Seattle to trade lefty Jeff Fassero since the Mariners have no interest in signing him to a long-term contract.

- The Kansas City Royals will not get what they were hoping to get this spring in a deal for pitcher Kevin Appier. The reason: Appier has turned into a pitcher that relies on tricking batters instead of dominating them with a fastball.

- The Atlanta Braves would love to trade for outfielder Marquis Grissom, let him play left field and move Ryan Klesko to first base.

- The Braves are also interested in Orioles shortstop Mike Bordick. If the Orioles trade Bordick, they would use Jerry Hairston at shortstop next season.

- You have to admire Chicago Cubs first baseman Mark Grace when he says he doesn't want to be traded to a contender because he wants to finish his career with the Cubs. (I guess a run at a World Series championship with say, the Braves, for example, would be nice, but it is meaningless when compared with trying to get his Cubs to the World Series.)

- The Rangers have talked to Detroit about a deal that would send Juan Gonzalez to the Tigers for pitcher Justin Thompson and outfielder Bobby Higginson.

- The Arizona Diamond-backs are set to make a run at the playoffs, but the other expansion team, the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, are in a mode where everyone - from Arrojo to Roberto Hernandez and Fred McGriff - is available to be traded.

- Mark McGwire of the St. Louis Cardinals isn't keen on the idea of his team opening the 2000 season in Japan. He would be the biggest attraction. McGwire says baseball has bigger problems to worry about than going to Japan.

- Tampa Bay's Wade Boggs and San Diego's Tony Gwynn, each coming up on 3,000 hits for their careers, have a combined 30 seasons of hitting .300, 12 300-hit seasons and 13 batting championships.

- Will baseball's umpiring suffer with the loss of 25 umpires? The answer is no. All the minor-league umpires need is experience and they will be better than a good share of their major league counterparts who will be looking for jobs.
You better get a bigger gun I'm not dead yet

-styx-
Old 04-22-2004, 03:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally posted by sox_fan_4life
The most likely deal will be Cleveland getting Anaheim left-handed pitcher Chuck Finley, who is 16-9 lifetime vs. the New York Yankees.
The Indians have their worst pitching staff of the 1990s. They need to do something.

The hitch is that Anaheim would like Richie Sexson. The Indians are more likely to deal infielder Enrique Wilson and a minor-league pitcher.
I don't think the Indians are going to trade Sexson within the American League - look for them to move him to a team that needs a star (my guess is Milwaukee) and if he ever evolves into a good player, look for the Brewers to ship him to Arizona for a bunch of guys.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally posted by KingXerxes
I don't think the Indians are going to trade Sexson within the American League - look for them to move him to a team that needs a star (my guess is Milwaukee) and if he ever evolves into a good player, look for the Brewers to ship him to Arizona for a bunch of guys.

Old 04-22-2004, 03:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Thank you very much.

I'll have more later.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:14 PM
Sanitation Engineer

Hey who fired up the way-back machine?
Old 04-22-2004, 03:17 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Hey who fired up the way-back machine?

"Me."
Old 04-22-2004, 04:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by KingXerxes
Thank you very much.

I'll have more later.
Good god that was a long time ago.

Eventually..............you were right. Nice work.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

I posted today - This whole thing was a work-in-process which went wrong. I am sorry for wasting everybody's time.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:17 PM
Banned

AWWW you dirty b----tard! You got me good.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:29 PM
Banned

I'm relieved that my speculation has never been wrong.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by bc2k
I'm relieved that my speculation has never been wrong.
I just did a search down memory lane and my first post was to you.

I also noticed I didn't get my "Hey, welcome aboard!" in that thread.

Note to staff: I'll expect that greeting in my email box soon lol
Old 04-22-2004, 11:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally posted by sox_fan_4life

Also, the Twins would like to trade outfielder Marty Cordova, but nobody wants him.
aaah. The horror. the horror!?!