White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Would you want the White Sox to sign A.J. Pierzynski?
Yes, but get a SP right after with less money in hand 46 31.94%
No, he's a clubhouse cancer 29 20.14%
No, save all the money for a good SP or something else 64 44.44%
Yes, Hermanson should be fine as our # 5 5 3.47%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-15-2004, 12:52 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default A.J. Pierzynski a free agent, future with ChiSox?

According to ESPN.com, the San Francisco Giants have waived catcher A.J. Pierzynski. He will be a non-tendered free agent after December 20th. The White Sox and Kenny Williams should be in hot pursuit of this guy. He's a dick and a jerk in the clubhouse, but I think him and Paul Konerko would get along great and PK would set him straight. We need this guy.

KW made it clear on the MJH show on ESPN1000 that if they can't land the starting pitcher they want with the money they saved in the Carlos Lee trade that the Sox would use that money to fill another hole they have. Catcher is an obvious hole.

Now I ask you, would you want A.J. and why or why not?
Old 12-15-2004, 12:59 AM
Banned

I think the guy is a jerk, but with that said, I think a .275 avg and 88 rbi's is pretty good. We need a bit more from our infield. Besides who's to say he won't be like that kid you hated in your neighborhood, until you hung out? He played hard for the twins.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:05 AM
WSI Church Elder

It should also be noted that AJ caught for Johan Santana, Brad Radke, Joe "Cy" Mays, Carlos Silva, and J.C. Romero, he would have a great scouting report on all of them to help the rest of the Sox hitters. If Sox can land him, Twins will really be upset.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:58 AM
Banned

He didnt catch silva. AJ was not all that well-liked on the giants and after he left the twins it turned out he wasnt that well-liked by them either. I cant see him joining the sox
Old 12-15-2004, 02:09 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChisoxfaninMinny
He didnt catch silva. AJ was not all that well-liked on the giants and after he left the twins it turned out he wasnt that well-liked by them either. I cant see him joining the sox
I can...

Albert Belle, Wil Cordero, Jose Canseco, Carl Everett, A.J. Pierzynski?

4 years, $16 mill, watch.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSoxFan84
It should also be noted that AJ caught for Johan Santana, Brad Radke, Joe "Cy" Mays, Carlos Silva, and J.C. Romero, he would have a great scouting report on all of them to help the rest of the Sox hitters. If Sox can land him, Twins will really be upset.
i read an article about him being a jerk with the giants and they said he woudln't watch gametape - the only tape he watched was of the twins...

it sounds like he's pretty loyal to his old teammates...it's like the mighty ducks and adam banks when they played the hawks - "don't forget what team you're on"

don't think i want him...though his offensive numbers are pretty decent - much better than what we can expect from burke/davis
Old 12-15-2004, 08:13 AM
WSI Church Elder

He's A grinder
Old 12-15-2004, 08:54 AM
WSI Prelate

Looking at his stats on ESPN.com, I think he would be a fantastic addition:

Here are his 2002-04 splits at the Cell:
.328 AVG, .375 OBP, .483 SLG and .858 OPS!!!

at the Metrodome: .301, .338, .440, .778

at Comerica: .300, .352, .460, .812
vs. Detroit overall: .361, .405, .528, .933

at Kauffman: .344, .375, .475, .850
vs. KC overall: .311, .336, .420, .756

at Jacobs: .271, .343, .407, .750
vs. Cleveland overall: .290, .358, .430, .788

Other than Cleveland (against whom he's honestly not bad at all), he feasts on the AL Central. The Sox need to take care of business against the Central; it's been their Achilles the last few years. Furthermore, any information he could provide on Twins pitchers would be priceless.

Not a ton of home run power, but plenty of hits and doubles (averaging over 30 doubles per year since 2001). Besides, the Sox still will not lack for home run power. Also, he only struck out 27 times last season.

As a left-handed hitter for average, A.J. could be exactly what the Sox need to balance the lineup (lefty-righty) toward the bottom of the order and turn catcher from a weakness into a position of strength on the Sox. He's almost an A.L. version of Jason Kendall who hits more doubles but doesn't have the bloated contract. He could collect RBIs by the bunches with this lineup:

Podsednik - L - CF
Rowand - R - LF
Frank/Carl - R/L - DH
Paulie - R - 1B
Dye - R - RF
A.J. - L - C (Splits at # 6 hitter: .315, .363, .481, .844)
Crede - R - 3B
Uribe - R - SS
Harris - L - 2B

The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:55 AM
Banned

I think WIlliams is pretty set on the Davis/Burke combo. AJ would be a nice addition though. It would definetly be an upgrade.

I thought I read Williams was going to save the money until midseason if he could not find the right starter to add. I may have read that wrong though.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:58 AM
WSI Church Elder

I'll gurantee you guys one thing. If Tori Hunter TRIED to run A.J. over, and I put tried in caps because A.J. wouldn't let it happen, like he ran Jamie Burke over, A.J. would not only tag him out, he'd get up and give Tori a mouthful. A grinder and a true, blue Chicago attitude.

Am I the only one that wants this guy? Wow, I know just by looking at the poll that I'm the only one that wants him and thinks Hermanson will be a solid # 5. Of course I'd prefer a # 3 guy to be signed like Matt Clement, Odalis Perez, etc. But if the only SPs we have a chance at are Andy Ashby or someone like him, I'd rather pick up A.J. and settle for Hermanson as our # 5. If not, make a deal early in the season for another starter. I saw it somewhere else when we first acquired Hermanson, for all we know, Hermanson may pitch like Esteban Loaiza did in 2003. Speaking of which, where is he...
Old 12-15-2004, 09:02 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesoxtom
I thought I read Williams was going to save the money until midseason if he could not find the right starter to add. I may have read that wrong though.
He actually said on ESPN1000 yesterday that if they don't find the starting pitcher they want, they will use the money they have from the Carlos Lee trade elsewhere. They already had extra dought before the C-Lee trade that they intended to save up for mid-season pick ups.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:05 AM
WSI Prelate

Seems to me that if he was such a clubhouse cancer, Twins pitchers would not have had much success and the Twins would not have won divison titles while he was their starting catcher.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:05 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSoxFan84
He actually said on ESPN1000 yesterday that if they don't find the starting pitcher they want, they will use the money they have from the Carlos Lee trade elsewhere. They already had extra dought before the C-Lee trade that they intended to save up for mid-season pick ups.
Assume they have 2-3mil left in the budget, and 6mil from the trade. If KW goes out and gets Odalis Perez for 7-8mil, then hits up JR for an extra couple to give AJ 3-4mil, I'd be extremely happy. At that point, your "weak spots" are Crede & Harris. I have that in quotes because when arguably your worst hitter can still pop for 25HR, that's not bad.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:08 AM
WSI Prelate

Also seems to me that he's the type of guy you hate to play but love to have on your side, kind of like Dennis Rodman or the aforementioned Bill Laimbeer.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:10 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight #24
Assume they have 2-3mil left in the budget, and 6mil from the trade. If KW goes out and gets Odalis Perez for 7-8mil, then hits up JR for an extra couple to give AJ 3-4mil, I'd be extremely happy. At that point, your "weak spots" are Crede & Harris. I have that in quotes because when arguably your worst hitter can still pop for 25HR, that's not bad.
Also, I have a hunch that this will be a breakout year for Crede: .270-ish average with around 30 homers and 85+ RBI. Then Harris is the #9 hitter and a pretty good one at that. He and Podsednik could create havoc on the basepaths together and rattle pitchers who would then throw "mistake" fastballs to Rowand, Frank and Konerko.