White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2004, 12:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Brewers Minor League System

With the conversation about the PTBNL being a minor leaguer, I wanted to see if we had anyone here who has a grasp of the Brewers system. Where is their area of strenght and who do you think they would make available?
Old 12-14-2004, 01:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34 Inch Stick
With the conversation about the PTBNL being a minor leaguer, I wanted to see if we had anyone here who has a grasp of the Brewers system. Where is their area of strenght and who do you think they would make available?
Strength? Position players. Middle Infield. Who'd they make available? I have no idea. If it's a guy like Rickie Weeks, then this deal is golden. If it's a 24-year old struggling pitcher, then it's a non-factor in the deal...

Have to wait and find out.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:33 PM
WSI High Priest

I cant imagine the Brewers giving up a player of consequence seeing that they took on 7 million in salary
First Pennant in 46 years CHECK
First World Series in 88 years CHECK
Old 12-14-2004, 04:41 PM
WSI Personality

Radio reports yesterday pegged the PTBNL as Mitch Stetter a 23 year-old lefty in High-A.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:44 PM
Banned

Having had the pleasure of viewing the Milwaukee farm system in recent years, I can't say that it is loaded anywhere. I can only think of a few players that would have a chance of making the majors and no one who would impact the majors immediately. A few of the players:

Glenn Woolard SP 6-1 2.06 at AA.
John Novinsky RP 7-1 2.93, 17 saves at AA.

Ben Hendrickson SP 11-3 2.02 at AAA
Roberto Giron RP 5-0 1.86 3 sv at AAA.

Hitting is pretty slim pickings.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wealz
Radio reports yesterday pegged the PTBNL as Mitch Stetter a 23 year-old lefty in High-A.
Sounds about right. We can start calling him Mitch "Irish" Stetter -- because a 23-year old in high A is a dog.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica
Sounds about right. We can start calling him Mitch "Irish" Stetter -- because a 23-year old in high A is a dog.
Considering he was only drafted in 2003 that means he went college first and then was drafted. One year spiltting time between A and the high A actually doesn't seem too canine.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

OK, I admit it -- I was desperate to make the bad pun.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:21 PM
WSI Personality

Of course he was 1-4 8.15 in 38 IN 54 H 14BB 29SO in Hi A so the dog pun still works. He was much better in Lo A -- 4-0 1.70 53 31 12 57, mostly as a reliever, so maybe there's some hope but he's not exactly a "prospect."
Old 12-14-2004, 11:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox
Of course he was 1-4 8.15 in 38 IN 54 H 14BB 29SO in Hi A so the dog pun still works. He was much better in Lo A -- 4-0 1.70 53 31 12 57, mostly as a reliever, so maybe there's some hope but he's not exactly a "prospect."
I saw him pitch against Winston-Salem and he had pretty good stuff. Adjusting to a mid-season call-up is pretty hard. He kept his control, walks to strikeouts was pretty constant (and good) but he obviously had a few bad outings, but I think he is a genuine prospect.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:39 AM
WSI Personality

He pitched against W-S? He played at High Desert. That's what I call a long bus trip.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox
He pitched against W-S? He played at High Desert. That's what I call a long bus trip.
My mistake.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:48 PM
TheBull19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRKARNO
I cant imagine the Brewers giving up a player of consequence seeing that they took on 7 million in salary
Why not? The general consensus seems to be KW got fleeced, why wouldn't he have required quality options for the PTBNL since the trade as it stands otherwise is lopsided in favor of Milwaukee?
Old 12-19-2004, 05:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBull19
Why not? The general consensus seems to be KW got fleeced, why wouldn't he have required quality options for the PTBNL since the trade as it stands otherwise is lopsided in favor of Milwaukee?
General consensus where?

I think the advantage goes to the White Sox.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:32 PM
WSI Personality

I wouldn't mind getting Lou Palmisano, a catcher the Sox originally drafted but did not sign. He is a good hitting catcher that played in Beloit, of the Midwest League last year.

Other position players in the Milwaukee system (that will not be traded) are Prince Fielder, Brad Nelson, Rickie Weeks and Tony Gwynn Jr. Of those, Gwynn Jr. is less highly regarded, but is still young. I like Nelson's bat, but he is a slow OF. If he can play 1B he'd probably be okay, but Fielder is there. They also have JJ Hardy, who will likely be their starting SS at least by the end of this coming season. He is a nice player. Dave Krynzel is one hell of a defensive CF. The jury is still out on whether he will hit enough to start in teh big leagues. Lastly, Corey Hart a 3B has potential.

Hart and Krynzel were in AAA last year. Hardy was in AAA as well, but only played in 26 games before hurting his knee and missing the rest of the season. Fielder, Nelson, Weeks and Gwynn Jr. were all at AA. Gwynn Jr. will likely go back to AA. Fielder and Weeks wouldn't be hurt spending some time at AA again, but will likely go to AAA, wherever the hell that is now.