White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2003, 02:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Trade Carlos Lee?

Yea. For every good thing he does for us, he does at least 1˝ things against us.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:25 PM
WSI Personality

I have no problem with this if Carl Everett starts hitting. We are not going to trade any of our current starting pitching, and we should not trade Maggs, so the only viable chip on the table is Carlos. If we start winning, trade him for a closer/BP help.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:28 PM
WSI Regular

I would not trade C Lee. He's one of the few guys who has played HARD all year, and, unnoticed by many who don't watch the club play, has actually matured into a plus defender, as least by White Sox standards.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:35 PM
WSI Personality

I'm sick and tired of people saying that he's "above average by sox standards." When are we going to get people "above average by mlb standards." That should not be an excuse to keep someone around...unless you're happy with mediocre players.

Forget quotations, tell me what you know.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally posted by Meixner007
I'm sick and tired of people saying that he's "above average by sox standards." When are we going to get people "above average by mlb standards." That should not be an excuse to keep someone around...unless you're happy with mediocre players.
For LF, he is above average.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:37 PM
WSI Personality

Default Re: Trade Carlos Lee?

Quote:
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Yea. For every good thing he does for us, he does at least 11/2 things against us.
Lee, Rowand and Koch to Florida for Juan Pierre. Hey, teal is one of the Marlins' colors. Lee could be the bat that the Fish need to make a run for the Wild Card and he has a history of hitting NL pitching (especially against the Cubs). Rowand fills their hole in CF and may see more success in the inferior NL as well.

Make this move for no other reason than Lee may fetch something in return, would allow Everett to move to left on a daily basis and get a legit CF who can lead off in Pierre. When Everett leaves after this season, it paves the way for Borchard or Reed to play LF, both of whom hit from the left side of the plate and bring SPEED and D. Then we're looking at a MUCH better OF situation over the long haul. This also allows Konerko to platoon with Daubach at DH so Frank can stay at 1B. It also perhaps allows the Sox to re-sign Alomar, or let Harris play 2B. With either of these scenarios I support the re-signing of Valentin.

Your 2004 White Sox sport some serious speed and defense, the hallmarks of all past Sox successes (with the exception of 2000) in spacious Comiskey / New Comiskey / The Cell:

CF Pierre
2B Alomar / Harris (lays down bunts for hits)
1B Frank
RF Maggs
DH Konerko / Daubach
SS Valentin
LF Reed / Borchard
3B Crede
C Olivo
Old 07-14-2003, 02:38 PM
WSI Regular

Well, I WOULD say he's matured into a better-than-average LF now. He gets to more balls than a lot of people, he generally hits the cutoff man and he's started a bunch of relays that have nailed people.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:51 PM
WSI Personality

You're right. He does hit the cutoff man, and has thrown started many relays. But i still believe his range is below average...alowing him more opportunities to hit the cutoff man and start relays.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally posted by Meixner007
You're right. He does hit the cutoff man, and has thrown started many relays. But i still believe his range is below average...alowing him more opportunities to hit the cutoff man and start relays.
Carlos is never going to be confused for a CF'er. However, compared to the league, he has average range at worst and almost always gets a better jump on balls than everyone's favorite AAAA player, Aaron Rowand.
Old 07-14-2003, 04:24 PM
Banned

I would welcome C. Lee's departure. His defense is adequate, but he's too much of a DP/K guy and his plate discipline has regressed badly since last season. And this would also free up LF for Everett this season and Reed/Borchard in the coming years.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:38 PM
WSI High Priest

I could see trading Carlos for a nice 3 starter who would start 4 for us. We can put Aaron in right and save the position for Reed or Borchard when they come up. I have no problem traing Carlos.

2014 White Sox Concession Tracker:
4 Miller Lite's
3 Half Acre Daisy Cutters
1 Hot Dog
1 Polish

It's gone.
Old 07-14-2003, 06:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I could see trading Carlos for a nice 3 starter who would start 4 for us. We can put Aaron in right and save the position for Reed or Borchard when they come up. I have no problem traing Carlos.
I agree I wouldn't have any problem trading carlos either, but I'm sure if the sox traded lee, everett would be moved to left, and rowand and willie would platoon in center.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:39 PM
Banned

Default Good Idea

No knock on Lee, but he sucks in left, so you might as well put Everett there (equal suckage defensively) but a better hitter. This opens up center field for Rowand.

It seems to me Williams would get some value out of trading Lee.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:50 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Default Re: Good Idea

Quote:
Originally posted by Mammoo
No knock on Lee, but he sucks in left, so you might as well put Everett there (equal suckage defensively) but a better hitter. This opens up center field for Rowand.

It seems to me Williams would get some value out of trading Lee.
Why would you want to open up a position for Rowand?

For that matter why would you want a corner outfielder playing center?
Old 07-14-2003, 11:17 PM
Clean-up Crew

Default Re: Re: Good Idea

Quote:
Originally posted by daver
Why would you want to open up a position for Rowand?

For that matter why would you want a corner outfielder playing center?
No matter what you put out there on this team it's corner playing cf. Everet is a BAD cf. I'd like to see him in LF where he belongs.