White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2004, 03:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default The others to watch in 2005...

You know besides the supposed "top 10" we do have a lot of other interesting stories to watch in our farm system. The most intriguing to watch IMO are how well some former highly regarded pitchers perform coming off injuries.

Besides the obvious one in Honel, I think we should all keep very close tabs on Jason Stumm and Corwin Malone. Both could provide serious boosts to the overall talent level and make for good trade bait.

I'm also very curious to see if Wyatt Allen is groomed as a reliever now that it is quite apparent that he just doesn't have enough control to last as a starter. The kid has a killer fastball and is quite a ferocious competitor on the mound. He has closer written all over him if he can just cut down on the walks.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
You know besides the supposed "top 10" we do have a lot of other interesting stories to watch in our farm system. The most intriguing to watch IMO are how well some former highly regarded pitchers perform coming off injuries.

Besides the obvious one in Honel, I think we should all keep very close tabs on Jason Stumm and Corwin Malone. Both could provide serious boosts to the overall talent level and make for good trade bait.

I'm also very curious to see if Wyatt Allen is groomed as a reliever now that it is quite apparent that he just doesn't have enough control to last as a starter. The kid has a killer fastball and is quite a ferocious competitor on the mound. He has closer written all over him if he can just cut down on the walks.
Others to watch?

A bunch of the 2004 draftees
Valido at W-S
Ryan Rodriguez and Daniel Haigwood
Old 12-03-2004, 03:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Yeah, I'm excited to see if Haigwood can continue to progress after that knee injury. McCarthy said that Haigwood is "electric" when he's on.

Considering how Rodriguez and Haigwood are right on track in regards to development, it just shows how amazing it is that McCarthy progressed as far as he did. I feel the same way about Gio.

I don't know about you Randar, but I'm kind of worried about Valido, he just didn't look too comfortable at the plate last year and never really rode any hot streaks. He just seemed to scuffle for most of the year. Liked the speed and defense though.

Another thing Randar, what did you think about Phil's top 10 and the QA session? I thought both were absolute garbage.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
Yeah, I'm excited to see if Haigwood can continue to progress after that knee injury. McCarthy said that Haigwood is "electric" when he's on.

Considering how Rodriguez and Haigwood are right on track in regards to development, it just shows how amazing it is that McCarthy progressed as far as he did. I feel the same way about Gio.

I don't know about you Randar, but I'm kind of worried about Valido, he just didn't look too comfortable at the plate last year and never really rode any hot streaks. He just seemed to scuffle for most of the year. Liked the speed and defense though.

Another thing Randar, what did you think about Phil's top 10 and the QA session? I thought both were absolute garbage.
I wanted to be there for Phil's Q&A, he always answers a lot of my questions, but wasn't able. However, I wasn't terribly impressed. Tracey was over-rated and while I think I was probably the first person anywhere to really talk about Francisco Hernandez, I think it's a bit premature to be casting him into a top ten with that kind of pressure after just 1 season in Bristol. Lopez was a bit over-rated and McCarthy should definitely be the #1, IMO.

Valido? I'm not concerned in the least. He's a great kid. Grounded, realistic, friendly, low-key, rolls with the punches, doesn't get too high or low. He hit a severe funk between just before his All-Star break (made the SAL All-Star team BTW) until late July...

I think he has better potential at the plate than Lopez (the 2 are really good friends, talk regularly on the phone) and in the field he's very slick. I'm not concerned about him at all. HS players moving quickly to their first full-season league experiences are almost always fraught with prolonged slumps and a shell-shock factor. He handled himself well and got nothing but praise from his coaches and teammates...
Old 12-03-2004, 04:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

However, I wasn't terribly impressed. Tracey was over-rated Lopez was a bit over-rated and McCarthy should definitely be the #1, IMO.

I agree completely. Tracey is another Danny Wright IMO, and not as good at the same point in their careers. I doubt this guy will ever be much more than a reliever unless he magically discovers how to stop throwing balls and hitting people. The scouts at BA are too busy sleeping with their radar guns to actaully watch people pitch.

while I think I was probably the first person anywhere to really talk about Francisco Hernandez, I think it's a bit premature to be casting him into a top ten with that kind of pressure after just 1 season in Bristol.

For sure! They did the same thing with Anthony Webster. It's nice to put up nice numbers in rookie ball, but it usually doesn't mean much.

Valido? I'm not concerned in the least. He's a great kid. Grounded, realistic, friendly, low-key, rolls with the punches, doesn't get too high or low.

That's good to hear, I just afraid that he's going to be Andy Gonzalez redux. I know it's too early to give up on Andy, but I'm just not seeing much improvement from him at the plate. I hope he has a "Morse-like" revelation next year.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:42 PM
WSI Personality

Speaking of "starters who are going to be relievers," in addition to Tracey and Allen, do you guys think Brian Miller is headed to the bullpen? He's a two-pitch pitcher (fastball, change) at this point and some of those guys are a lot more effective in relief.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox
Speaking of "starters who are going to be relievers," in addition to Tracey and Allen, do you guys think Brian Miller is headed to the bullpen? He's a two-pitch pitcher (fastball, change) at this point and some of those guys are a lot more effective in relief.
Miiller's never shown me much that makes me believe he can do either at a high level unless he develops a killer off-speed pitch...
Old 12-04-2004, 06:41 PM
WSI Personality

Just a note: Allen played much of last year with back problems. They were severe enough they kept him on the shelf for awhile.

That said, I don't see him making much of an impact. But I do think it is fair to know everything possible when evaluating someone.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:38 AM
New At WSI

Default Look for Brian Miller

You all should be watching for Brian Miller next year. I think he has a great chance to make it to the show soon. He was said to have the best change up in the organization and has improved each year. He has a great arm and some great stuff.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

Welcome to WSI, Brian!
Old 12-31-2004, 09:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Adam Ricks should be interesting to watch with his conversion to catcher. Seems to have pretty good plate discipline, granted, he is a college pick.