White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-30-2004, 05:55 PM
santo=dorf santo=dorf is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,465
Default Arnie Munoz in the Dominican League.

From rotoworld:
Quote:
Anrie Munoz worked two scoreless innings yesterday and hasn't allowed an earned run in 5 1/3 innings in the Dominican Winter League.
He fanned seven and walked just one. Munoz is expected to compete with Neal Cotts and Kevin Walker for one or two spots in next year's pen. He'll probably return to Triple-A for at least a month or two
I would like to see Arnie earn a spot in the bullpen for next year.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-01-2004, 08:57 AM
SoxFanTillDeath SoxFanTillDeath is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Palatine, IL
Posts: 294
Default

I'm with you there. I liked the kid while he was up in the majors, though I did notice that he tended to struggle early then settle down. Isn't that the worst possible thing that you could have from a reliever?
__________________
**********************
crc#4
Sox Fan since birth...
...Sox Fan 'till death.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-01-2004, 02:29 PM
DrCrawdad DrCrawdad is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Valley Of The Malls
Posts: 7,537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFanTillDeath
I'm with you there. I liked the kid while he was up in the majors, though I did notice that he tended to struggle early then settle down. Isn't that the worst possible thing that you could have from a reliever?
I just looked over Arnie's game stats. What jumped out at me was that Arnie had two horrible outings, his first and his last. IF (big and impossible if) you lop off the first and last outings, here are his stats...

11 IP 6 HITS 2 ER 0 HR 8 BB 8 K

That looks pretty good to me.

Here's what he did in his first and last outings...
3.1 IP 14 HITS 14 ER 4 HR 4 BB 3 K
__________________

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-19-2004, 05:20 PM
MHOUSE MHOUSE is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Ballwin, MO (originally Grayslake, IL)
Posts: 1,914
Default

I remember he got lit up in his debut as a starter and then was pretty good out of the bullpen. I don't remember his last outing, but 0.1 IP and 3 ER will mess up your stats. If he does well in ST then let his try to earn a spot as the other lefty next to Marte.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-15-2005, 03:30 PM
Infallible Infallible is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vegas Baby!!!
Posts: 343
Default

I'm not trying to be mean here, but the kid has a creme puff arm. He can't throw with enough velocity nor with enough movement to be effective. He may be young, but I'm not seeing anything promising out of him except that he has the ability to throw strikes, strikes unfortunately get bounced out of the ball park time after time.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-18-2005, 12:10 PM
spanishwhite spanishwhite is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: florida
Posts: 289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad
I just looked over Arnie's game stats. What jumped out at me was that Arnie had two horrible outings, his first and his last. IF (big and impossible if) you lop off the first and last outings, here are his stats...

11 IP 6 HITS 2 ER 0 HR 8 BB 8 K

That looks pretty good to me.

Here's what he did in his first and last outings...
3.1 IP 14 HITS 14 ER 4 HR 4 BB 3 K
Actually, just take out his only start b/c his
future in baseball is a reliever and I believe

11.1 IP 5 ER 3.97 ERA

That is still good and considering that Arnie is 22,
I think some people should give him some slack.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-18-2005, 12:25 PM
ND_Sox_Fan ND_Sox_Fan is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Manhattan, NY
Posts: 1,178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infallible
I'm not trying to be mean here, but the kid has a creme puff arm. He can't throw with enough velocity nor with enough movement to be effective. He may be young, but I'm not seeing anything promising out of him except that he has the ability to throw strikes, strikes unfortunately get bounced out of the ball park time after time.
How many successful years has Jamie Moyer had in the majors? He is working on his 19th year.

Lighting up the radar gun does not mean success or failure unless a pitcher's only means of past success is blowing hitters away (see Koch, Billy).

If the guy can get people out, it doesn't matter if he can break a pane of glass with a fastball or not.
__________________
Nate
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-18-2005, 12:41 PM
Tekijawa's Avatar
Tekijawa Tekijawa is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: North Mayfair/Chicago
Posts: 6,681
Default

I think he put up simmilar numbers last year in the winter league, That's why I was excited to see his first game up... that is until it started!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-18-2005, 01:17 PM
SoxxoS SoxxoS is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe AZ during school, lombard IL in the summer
Posts: 6,669
Default

Obviously, he tends to have the big inning...and his big inning takes you right out of the ballgame...so he needs to be in AAA and have prolonged success before he is up again, IMO.
__________________
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editsignature

Freddie, how are you getting guys out?

"throwing a bunch of bull****."
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-18-2005, 01:43 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 2,867
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxxoS
Obviously, he tends to have the big inning...and his big inning takes you right out of the ballgame...so he needs to be in AAA and have prolonged success before he is up again, IMO.
Arnie's already proven that he can pitch at all levels (as a reliever) in the minors. I think he's going to be given every opportunity to compete with Cotts for the left handed specialist slot in the bullpen. If anything Arnie is still extremely young, so he'll get a couple of years to crack the roster on the big club.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-18-2005, 06:44 PM
Infallible Infallible is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vegas Baby!!!
Posts: 343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_Sox_Fan
How many successful years has Jamie Moyer had in the majors? He is working on his 19th year.

Lighting up the radar gun does not mean success or failure unless a pitcher's only means of past success is blowing hitters away (see Koch, Billy).

If the guy can get people out, it doesn't matter if he can break a pane of glass with a fastball or not.
So Arnie Munoz is the next Jamie Moyer huh? Right And how long did it take for Moyer to get his act together? How many other big league pitchers besides Jamie Moyer have a good go at it with similar capabilities? Is it every single one that gets drafted? Is it every other one? Sorry but until Arnie pulls it together I won't be hanging onto the edge of my bar stool waiting to woop for joy as he takes the mound.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-20-2005, 04:44 PM
bigdommer bigdommer is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infallible
So Arnie Munoz is the next Jamie Moyer huh? Right And how long did it take for Moyer to get his act together? How many other big league pitchers besides Jamie Moyer have a good go at it with similar capabilities? Is it every single one that gets drafted? Is it every other one? Sorry but until Arnie pulls it together I won't be hanging onto the edge of my bar stool waiting to woop for joy as he takes the mound.
Moyer, Glavine, Wells, Lieter, Milton, Odalis Perez, Mike Hampton, Zito...all good to great LHP's that don't have the arm to blow it by you.
__________________
2005 Baseball Prospectus player comments:

Scott Podsednik
"...he could be a nice bench player...he's going to do quite well in helping Minnesota win another AL Central crown."
Freddy Garcia
"Garcia is not a bad pitcher, but he's not much better than an average one."
Jon Garland
"The White Sox take pride in noting that Jon Garland is now their fifth starter, which obscures the fact that he pitches like a fifth starter."
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-20-2005, 10:19 PM
jordan23ventura jordan23ventura is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Joliet, IL
Posts: 622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxxoS
Obviously, he tends to have the big inning...and his big inning takes you right out of the ballgame...so he needs to be in AAA and have prolonged success before he is up again, IMO.
I'd actually like to see Munoz beat out Cotts and have Neal go to AAA to learn how to start. I'm still convinced Cotts can be a good ML starter if he had another pitch and I feel that Arnie would be more of a career reliever if he could make it and stay.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-20-2005, 10:58 PM
FedEx227 FedEx227 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Downers Grove, IL
Posts: 6,998
Default

Yeah, Arnie looks more like a reliever, while Cotts was born to be a starter...

but yeah Cotts needs more than a fastball.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-21-2005, 05:06 PM
Infallible Infallible is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vegas Baby!!!
Posts: 343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdommer
Moyer, Glavine, Wells, Lieter, Milton, Odalis Perez, Mike Hampton, Zito...all good to great LHP's that don't have the arm to blow it by you.
You're talking about 8 lefties out of how many LEAGUE WIDE? And none of them are even from the same year of draft. Come on man, I'm just trying to be realistic, I hope the kid does well as any of us do, but he's got to get more movement and better placement with that arm of his.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.