Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2004, 08:07 AM
WSI Personality

Default Renteria and Dye top priorities?

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3147942

Just saw this - and it's probably BS, but there haven't been a lot of new threads around here lately, so I thought I'd post it.

I like the idea of us getting Renteria. He's the one guy out there I'd be willing to really pony up for. Especially if we could acquire a cheap speedster for the leadoff spot (Dave Roberts maybe?).

I think Renteria, a leadoff outfielder, and 3 new arms (1 sp, 2 relievers) could put us in a decent position to win next season.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:09 AM
WSI High Priest

Renteria is coming to Chicago, but not to the South Side. Except during interleague play.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 11-23-2004, 08:14 AM
WSI Church Elder

Agreed. Renteria will be playing his home games at the urinal next year.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:30 AM
WSI High Priest

They have Ross Gload as our DH. Did they forgot about Frank?
Old 11-23-2004, 08:38 AM
Parking Lot Attendant

Well, we've heard rumblings about the Sox having interest in Renteria and Dye, so this isn't much of a surprise. I'm torn on Renteria. I like him, and I think he's a good player, but he's probably going to be highly overpaid. If any of the rumors about him receiving $10 million or more are true, I hope the Sox step away. We can argue about whether Renteria is that much better than Uribe, but for $7+ million more a season, it's not worth finding out.

As far as Dye goes, why? I mean we already have an injury prone right fielder on the roster making $4 million. Where would he fit in? Surely it won't be on the bench. Unless Lee is traded and Everett moves to left, Dye doesn't make much sense.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:11 AM
WSI Guru

Renteria might be the one free agent worth the money that could fill several holes in this lineup.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:11 AM
WSI Personality

I would rather see us pick up Placido Polanco at 2B, and spend the difference between he and Renteria on a solid #3 or 4 starter.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:14 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraut83
I would rather see us pick up Placido Polanco at 2B, and spend the difference between he and Renteria on a solid #3 or 4 starter.
I'd rather skip both of them and get a solid #1 starter.

19 seasons, 9232 AB, 216 SO
Old 11-23-2004, 09:25 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraut83
Apparently Polanco has several suitors, so he might now be as cheap as some believe.

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3182000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportingnews
Another former Cardinal, Placido Polanco, would be a better fit, but price again might be the issue. The Red Sox are looking at Polanco as a super-utility man, and several other clubs also are interested in him.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjav829
Well, we've heard rumblings about the Sox having interest in Renteria and Dye, so this isn't much of a surprise. I'm torn on Renteria. I like him, and I think he's a good player, but he's probably going to be highly overpaid. If any of the rumors about him receiving $10 million or more are true, I hope the Sox step away. We can argue about whether Renteria is that much better than Uribe, but for $7+ million more a season, it's not worth finding out.

As far as Dye goes, why? I mean we already have an injury prone right fielder on the roster making $4 million. Where would he fit in? Surely it won't be on the bench. Unless Lee is traded and Everett moves to left, Dye doesn't make much sense.
In large part I agree, but you have to admit, a middle infield defense of Renteria and Uribe sounds appealing.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowesox
Apparently Polanco has several suitors, so he might now be as cheap as some believe.

True, but some of the power house team interest supposedly are wanting him to be a super utility man. It's very possible he'd rather sign as a starter.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:06 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowesox

Polanco seems to be the trendy, high OBP type guy that teams are salavating over. He's got a decent glove, and can get on - but for maybe 3mm more than Todd Walker or 4mm more than Ton Womack, 5mm more than Wee Willie, I am inclined to pass.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:10 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrch
Polanco seems to be the trendy, high OBP type guy that teams are salavating over. He's got a decent glove, and can get on - but for maybe 3mm more than Todd Walker or 4mm more than Ton Womack, 5mm more than Wee Willie, I am inclined to pass.
I agree, but I'm starting to think that we need to be careful of falling into the trap of everyone being overpriced. If indeed the market is shifting upwards again, then what seemed overpriced suddenly is actually fairly priced.

I have no problem on passing on guys, but I'd be extremely disappointed if that ended up in a potential payroll bump ending up being pocketed. In the end, it'll be better to overpay for someone and have that hole filled than to not get anyone and continue to have holes. If passing on Polanco, etc means we can take on a Kendall or RJ, fine. If it means we go sign another pitcher, fine. If it means we go get 2-3 other players who are good, fine.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrch
If Harris starts the season at 2nd base this year we are in trouble. The guy backs up on the ball and can't turn the double play. He also can't hit the ball worth a darn. Willie is fast but doesn't know how to steal bases. The fact is this guy sucks. Its time to give up Kenny Baltimore was right about this guy he will never be a major league baseball player.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:01 AM
WSI Church Elder

Here are Renteria's career stats. He's good, but not great, offensively, and isn't real consistent from year to year. He is, by all accounts, excellent defensively. If he were to end up on the Sox, I'd expect something like a .290 avg, .350 OBP, 15 HRs and 15 SBs. He's essentially replace Harris in the line-up, with Uribe moving to 2B. Playing full time, I'd expect Harris to hit .260, .325 OBP, 2 HRs and 25 SBs. Is that extra production worth the $8 million more per year it would cost for Renteria? I think the Sox would be better off spending that money elsewhere. Don't get me wrong - I'd love to have Renteria. But if the question is Renteria vs. Kendall, or Renteria vs. Pavano or Radke, I'd pass on Renteria.