White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2004, 07:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

I think Reed will hit .300 next year. Let's say .304 with an OBP around .360, 11 HRs and 16 SB.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
I have a feeling that was because we had 4 or 5 of the top 100 prospects in baseball in 2000, all of which were pitchers.
Your so called facts are useless when discussing JR....
Old 11-17-2004, 07:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica
I think Reed will hit .300 next year. Let's say .304 with an OBP around .360, 11 HRs and 16 SB.
More steals but in the ballyard.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:39 AM
WSI High Priest

We need to end the nonsense of the Reed/Olivo talk. How many of us aren't happy to have Freddy? Not many. I love Freddy. I'd much rather have a proven #1/#2 starter than an unproven outfielder and a catcher that wasn't living up to expectations (even though he was a great guy and I'll miss him for his love for the team). I know we would all have rather acquired Freddy for a bag of balls and an AA backup 2B, but we had to do what we had to do. Reed will be alright if not good. Outfielders aren't hard to come by in the FA market. I think it would be wise to leave it to people on the Seattle message boards to gripe about the progress of Reed rather than us. He's no longer in our system and we're better for it.

Old 11-18-2004, 12:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUsoxfan
I know we would all have rather acquired Freddy for a bag of balls and an AA backup 2B, but we had to do what we had to do. Reed will be alright if not good. Outfielders aren't hard to come by in the FA market. I think it would be wise to leave it to people on the Seattle message boards to gripe about the progress of Reed rather than us. He's no longer in our system and we're better for it.
I tend to agree. I much rather have an ace pitcher locked up for 3 1/2 years than a couple of "could be's".

This could come back and bite us in the ass, but I think it was a risk worth taking. I'm not a fan of Reed's mechanics, Olivo has trouble hitting right handers, and Morse has really only had one good season (and really isn't doing much in the AFL). Prospects are a crap shoot, we all learned that the hard way after the 2000 season.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:38 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
How many of us aren't happy to have Freddy?
I honestly do not believe he is in the top tier of AL starters. For the same money, I'd rather have Pavano. And we wouldn't have had to give up players to get him.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox
I honestly do not believe he is in the top tier of AL starters. For the same money, I'd rather have Pavano. And we wouldn't have had to give up players to get him.
I haven't seen a team just hand a player over to another team in the middle of a season without some sort of payment (cash, players, both). The Sox were making a playoff run last year when the Garcia deal was made. Pavano's name was not being dangled, and Garcia was the best of what's out there. That being said, we had to make a deal. The Yanks wanted him along with other teams. We traded an average catcher and a guy that played zero major league games (unproven player). That's not that high of a price to pay. Now there's rumors that Seattle will start him next year. That's fine, they're not a good team and they need to use their best available option. Would Jeremy Reed be starting on 75% of ML rosters right now? There's not a chance. In the meantime, we locked up what I feel is a pretty darn good pitcher for the next three years in a time when we're dying to have pitchers. If the Sox didn't deal for a pitcher during the season, you'd probably be the guy complaining that we didn't do enough. Nothing in life, especially baseball, is free. Everything comes with a price. I happen to feel Garcia came at a low price.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox
I think we overpaid for Garcia. I would rather have given up Mags than Reed.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondafarm
I think we overpaid for Garcia. I would rather have given up Mags than Reed.
Wow. Mags wouldn't have come back anyway. He's been a lost cause for months
Old 11-19-2004, 07:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Wow. Mags wouldn't have come back anyway. He's been a lost cause for months
Exactamundo!!
Old 11-20-2004, 05:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Exactamundo!!
Yeah...you're right. I just read that last thing I posted and I don't know what I was thinking. I must have been overtired or something. Yikes...
Old 11-21-2004, 12:05 AM
dcb33

It's always a double edged sword with armchair GM's. If KW makes the trade, he's stupid for trading an unproven outfielder and an underperforming catcher for an outstanding pitcher to make a run at the playoffs. If KW doesn't make the trade, he's nothing but a quitter who waves the white flag too soon and a tool of JR's pocketbook for not getting the pitching the Sox needed to make a run at the division...
I don't know about the rest of you, but I feel much more comforatable about 2005 knowing that Freddy is on the roster than I would if we had Olivo, Reed, and a huge hole at his spot in the rotation.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb33
It's always a double edged sword with armchair GM's. If KW makes the trade, he's stupid for trading an unproven outfielder and an underperforming catcher for an outstanding pitcher to make a run at the playoffs. If KW doesn't make the trade, he's nothing but a quitter who waves the white flag too soon and a tool of JR's pocketbook for not getting the pitching the Sox needed to make a run at the division...
I don't know about the rest of you, but I feel much more comforatable about 2005 knowing that Freddy is on the roster than I would if we had Olivo, Reed, and a huge hole at his spot in the rotation.
Well, I personally thought the trade was a good idea, but I would have traded Mags instead of Reed.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:13 PM
dcb33

Quote:
Well, I personally thought the trade was a good idea, but I would have traded Mags instead of Reed.
You proved my point. When we traded for Garcia, Maggs was fully expected by everyone to be back on the field and contributing within a couple weeks, and the severity of his injury was not yet known. At the time we were also gearing up to make a run at the division. I'm sure most here would've been crying for KW's head had we traded away our best player in the middle of the playoff race.

Seattle wasn't looking for an expensive right fielder they knew was going to be a free agent at the end of the season. They were looking to dump salary and get prospects to build for the future. Trades are a two way street- both teams have to agree.

Hindsight is 20/20
Old 11-21-2004, 02:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb33
Hindsight is 20/20
Afraid I have been saying that since the day this trade was announced.