White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2004, 12:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Baseball Prospectus Triple Play

For those interested, they made some comments about Sox AFL players. Haven't seen anything posted yet:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=3609

Bob
Old 11-10-2004, 07:07 PM
WSI Personality

I'd say that evaluation is pretty solid.

Bajenaru has a chance, but can't have a bad year at this point. Smith at most would be a fill-in reliever who doesn't stick around the bigs for very long. Ulacia is just not a prospect, period. Lopez is solid defensively and still very young, so it is hard to say how good he will be in 2-3 years, but he is at least that far from the Majors. Rogowski has to prove himself at a level higher than Class A and continute to put up big numbers or he becomes just another Minor League veteran hitter.

I think he is right that Anderson has worn down after his first full year. This is pretty commom, as the workload is much greater than anything amateur players go through. I do believe he is more than a 4th OF, but he'll have to continue to prove that over the next couple of years. How he bounces back next year and how he adjusts to the workload will tell us a lot.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:38 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Hudler
I'd say that evaluation is pretty solid.

Bajenaru has a chance, but can't have a bad year at this point. Smith at most would be a fill-in reliever who doesn't stick around the bigs for very long. Ulacia is just not a prospect, period. Lopez is solid defensively and still very young, so it is hard to say how good he will be in 2-3 years, but he is at least that far from the Majors. Rogowski has to prove himself at a level higher than Class A and continute to put up big numbers or he becomes just another Minor League veteran hitter.

I think he is right that Anderson has worn down after his first full year. This is pretty commom, as the workload is much greater than anything amateur players go through. I do believe he is more than a 4th OF, but he'll have to continue to prove that over the next couple of years. How he bounces back next year and how he adjusts to the workload will tell us a lot.
I agree with you about Anderson. He probably does need a break. I always thought the AFL was supposed to have the team's upper level prospects. Outside of Anderson and maybe Rogowski it looks liek the Sox sent a lot of nobody's there.

Bob
Old 12-01-2004, 07:21 PM
WSI Personality

I think this was a pretty lousy writeup by BP. First off as far as Smith goes he was more then a LOOGY down in Birmingham. He pretty much became the closer for much of the 2nd half after Baj was promoted to Charlotte.

As far as Anderson goes, definately agree on the wearing out part, but to call him a 4th outfielder is a little cookie. Their is no doubt he has the tools, I just think he's overhyped at this point. Still from what I've seen of him he gets good reads on balls in the outfield, has a good arm, and is more then capable of being a good centerfielder.

Has power potential at the plate. Still could use some work on his swing. As far as Lopez goes, while you can knock his bat in the AFL, he's always been a solid hitter in the minors average wise, his major knock is the lack of walks.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:22 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosox41
I agree with you about Anderson. He probably does need a break. I always thought the AFL was supposed to have the team's upper level prospects. Outside of Anderson and maybe Rogowski it looks liek the Sox sent a lot of nobody's there.

Bob
Remember that Bmac was replaced due to him having a pretty full workload already. Plus Gonzalez replaced Lopez because with the pitching being pretty solid down in Arizona (despite what BP said) it was better to have Lopez, whose a little more advanced hitter.