White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2004, 04:44 AM
WSI Personality

Default Who might we see in 2005?

Everyone has been talking about McCarthy, Anderson, Fields, and Sweeney. For the experts, who might we see at the end of next season (assuming the Sox fall out of the playoff race)? If the above players continue their progress, do you think they would be rushed up or would spend some more time in AAA?
Old 11-05-2004, 11:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

Unless someone really breaks out there won't be too many prospects ready to jump to the big leagues.

Of the guys you mentioned Anderson is probably the closest to being pushed up. All the rest I would think need more time in AA, as Fields has only played half a season in adv A ball and Sweeney and McCarthy are still very young guys who need more seasoning.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan23ventura
Everyone has been talking about McCarthy, Anderson, Fields, and Sweeney. For the experts, who might we see at the end of next season (assuming the Sox fall out of the playoff race)? If the above players continue their progress, do you think they would be rushed up or would spend some more time in AAA?
McCarthy and Anderson are likely to make an appearance of some kind before 2005 is over regardless of the W-L situation in Chicago. There's an outside chance that either or both could be on the opening day roster. Others? Bajenaru, Munoz, Meaux and Spidale... the first 2 more likely than the last 2...

Sweeney, Fields, Rogowski, etc would take some sort of unreal season or catastrophic set of injuries in Chicago to make it this year, IMO. Fields probably has the best chance of some late-season at-bats out of the group of them.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:34 PM
WSI Personality

I bet we don't see Fields in 2005 unless they are sure he will be the starter at third in 2006 ala Robin Ventura '89-'90. Why? Because if Fields gets a cup of coffee, he'll have to be added to the 40 man. If he doesn't, he has to be added after the 2006 season. The loss of Wing demonstrates how important those slots are. For instance, Reed hit .400 during his first full year and didn't get a call up. They didn't want to use a slot. (Also, I don't think they liked him that much.) Anderson, who has to be protected regardless, is almost a sure thing to come up in September. And if Borchard hits the way he did this year, he'll be up by June. McCarthy could also be up by June, especially if we start the season with Grilli as the fifth starter.
Old 11-06-2004, 12:28 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
ASSUMING we fall out of the playoff race?

come on Season hasnt even started yet!!!

We will win that division, next year, no questions asked.

I dont like PESSIMISTS.
Sorry i had to vent.
Old 11-07-2004, 01:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
There's an outside chance that either or both could be on the opening day roster.
McCarthy as a bullpen guy and Anderson as a 5th OF? Or will these guys get starting jobs?

If we trade Lee, an outfield spot opens up, but since all the talk seems to suggest that KW is intent on adding a SP, there wouldn't appear to be a spot in the rotation for McCarthy.

Maybe it's just me, but I would rather see McCarthy continue to dominate as a SP in Charlotte than see him used sporadically in the bullpen. I would also rather see Anderson play every day in Charlotte and get the consistent at-bats than have him play twice a week at most up here.

Of course, if Lee and Garland are traded, starting jobs will be there for the taking, and I have no problem with the Sox throwing these names into the mix in Spring Training. If McCarthy is better than Grilli or Diaz, then by all means start him. Just don't demote him after two starts if he does poorly. If he wins the job and is declared the 5th starter, keep him as the 5th starter all year.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:52 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney
McCarthy as a bullpen guy and Anderson as a 5th OF? Or will these guys get starting jobs?
I can't speak for Randar, but I assume he meant McCarthy as the 5th starter and Anderson starting in either right or center with Rowand holding the other spot. I believe anyone given half a chance can beat Borchard out in right. The guy cannot hit. That's the tragedy of trading Reed. He'd have been a starter for us next year. And I guarantee you that McCarthy would be a better option than either Grilli or Diaz (but I think Cotts is going to take that job.)

The strength of the Sox system is at AA. I wouldn't be surprised if Anderson, McCarthy, Honel, Fields, Brice, Rogowski, Tracey, and Pedro Lopez all play in the majors and all fairly soon. If the Sox get off to a bad start, I predict you see White Flag city and we rebuild with those guys as our new core.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox
If the Sox get off to a bad start, I predict you see White Flag city and we rebuild with those guys as our new core.
Would KW be the overseer? Would Ozzie still manage?

I think it would be counter-productive to instigate a rebuilding phase and fire your GM and/or manager halfway through.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:51 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney
Would KW be the overseer? Would Ozzie still manage?

I think it would be counter-productive to instigate a rebuilding phase and fire your GM and/or manager halfway through.
Even if the Sox were to "rebuild," I would think they would keep Rowand, Buerhle, Gload, Uribe, and Garcia. Because of their contract situations, if the Sox were to fall out of it I would imagine Shingo, Konerko, Everett, maybe Garland and/or Crede, Timo, and maybe Lee or Contreras would bring in some nice ML ready or clsoe to ML ready prospects.

I know no one is really looking forward to rebuilding, but if the aforementioned prospects we have are seriously good enough to build around, why not?
Old 11-07-2004, 11:04 PM
WSI Personality

One thing I forgot to add: does anyone think that KW is seriously going to make an honest push for Beltran? If the organization has a future outfield pictured as Anderson-Beltran-Rowand, it would likely be awesome and much cheaper than last years outfield, leaving room to not only keep Buehrle and Garcia, but add even more depth to the rotation.

Maybe I'm just dreaming...
Old 11-08-2004, 12:34 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
One thing I forgot to add: does anyone think that KW is seriously going to make an honest push for Beltran? If the organization has a future outfield pictured as Anderson-Beltran-Rowand, it would likely be awesome and much cheaper than last years outfield, leaving room to not only keep Buehrle and Garcia, but add even more depth to the rotation.

Maybe I'm just dreaming...
This is the outfield I've been dreaming of. All rangy for their position and IMO, would be the strongest set of arms in MLB. The Cell isn't a huge OF, so not sure how much benefit you'd gain there over strengthening the IF.

As for the other questions:

No young prospect is going to be brought up to be a PH'er or twice a week player. McCarthy or Anderson would be starters, and both depends on the moves KW makes. If Garland is dealt with konerko for RJ, for example, 1-4 is great and 5th is up for grabs again.

Outside chance means outside chance. I wouldn't be surprised by anything. Neither or both could make it...
Old 11-14-2004, 08:11 PM
WSI Regular

Anderson will be with the club sometime in 2005. Sweeney won't but when he finally gets to the bigs he will be the best of our minor league outfield prospects.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:18 AM
WSI Church Elder

Kelly Dransfeldt(?)
Old 02-05-2005, 03:11 AM
WSI Church Elder

We have so much outfield depth that I doubt we see Anderson or Sweeney.
Old 02-05-2005, 04:27 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
McCarthy and Anderson are likely to make an appearance of some kind before 2005 is over regardless of the W-L situation in Chicago.
We clinch the division in early-or-mid-September, and we give McCarthy and Cotts starts to see what they can and can not do.

Win-win for everybody, although McCarthy's ML clock starts ticking.

We did the same thing with Buehrle in the 2000 season, and that worked out just fine.