White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-25-2004, 04:20 PM
Wealz Wealz is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 781
Default Anderson Struggling in AFL

Anderson is having a tough time in the AFL .184/.319/.316 (38 AB's). Coming on the heels of a tough final 4-5 weeks in Birmingham I think his development is somewhat of a cause for concern at the moment.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-25-2004, 05:53 PM
MarkEdward MarkEdward is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Oak Forest, Illinios
Posts: 1,899
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wealz
Anderson is having a tough time in the AFL .184/.319/.316 (38 AB's). Coming on the heels of a tough final 4-5 weeks in Birmingham I think his development is somewhat of a cause for concern at the moment.
I think you're reading into a small sample size a bit too much. Can we give him, like, a full season of failure in Birmingham before we say his progress has been hindered?
__________________
Proud sponsor of the Mark Johnson and Eddie Collins pages at baseball-reference.com.
"We believe in a government strong enough to use the words "love" and "compassion" and smart enough to convert our noblest aspirations into practical realities."
Mario Cuomo- 1984.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-25-2004, 06:14 PM
OEO Magglio OEO Magglio is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,922
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wealz
Anderson is having a tough time in the AFL .184/.319/.316 (38 AB's). Coming on the heels of a tough final 4-5 weeks in Birmingham I think his development is somewhat of a cause for concern at the moment.
Anderson barely played the last couple weeks with Birmingham, maybe now he's just trying to get back playing, he'll be fine, you're making to much out of this.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-25-2004, 06:28 PM
Wealz Wealz is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 781
Default

All I'm saying is Anderson's first 330 proffesional AB's were very good, his last 150 have not been very good. The vast majority of those first 330 AB's came in high single-A where he was a little old for the league too.

Are there legitimate reasons for concern with him here? I don't know, but I'd certainly have liked to see him hit better against the tougher competition.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-25-2004, 11:01 PM
MarkEdward MarkEdward is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Oak Forest, Illinios
Posts: 1,899
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wealz
All I'm saying is Anderson's first 330 proffesional AB's were very good, his last 150 have not been very good. The vast majority of those first 330 AB's came in high single-A where he was a little old for the league too.

Are there legitimate reasons for concern with him here? I don't know, but I'd certainly have liked to see him hit better against the tougher competition.
Unless he continues to struggle over an extended period of time (like something over 400 ABs), I see no cause for concern. Anything can happen in 40 ABs... hell, anything can happen in 150 ABs. Hector Ortiz hit .386/.443/.455 in 88 ABs for the 2000 Royals. He never amounted to anything.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-26-2004, 01:03 AM
California Sox California Sox is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,441
Post

I don't think there is cause for concern yet. Look at his bb/k ratio. Even hitting .189 he's got 8 walks and 7 strikeouts. Plus, it's 38 AB's. As far as the end of his season is concerned, he was tearing up the Southern League until he had injuries and illness. I don't think this is a Borchard situation, where the more you looked inside the numbers, the more worried you got. I think Anderson'll be fine. Maybe not a superstar, but a productive major leaguer.
__________________
Witness to the agony ('76 Sox season tix) and the ecstasy (2005 World Champions!)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-26-2004, 09:55 AM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 2,872
Default

You have the numbers wrong Wealz, he's currently .217/.339/.391 in 46 at bats with 9 BB and 8 K.

It's definitely too small a sample size to be concerned, and it's good to see Brian taking more walks.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-28-2004, 11:43 AM
Wealz Wealz is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 781
Default

I see where Anderson pitched 2/3 of an inning the other day in the AFL. I'm sure it was a case of the team running out of pitchers, however I'd be very surprised if Williams isn't highly upset at the manager of the team for this. It's a good way for a position player to blow out their arm.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-28-2004, 01:08 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,061
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wealz
I see where Anderson pitched 2/3 of an inning the other day in the AFL. I'm sure it was a case of the team running out of pitchers, however I'd be very surprised if Williams isn't highly upset at the manager of the team for this. It's a good way for a position player to blow out their arm.
2/3 of an inning? Are you kidding me? That could be 1 pitch.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-28-2004, 01:40 PM
Wealz Wealz is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 781
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23
2/3 of an inning? Are you kidding me? That could be 1 pitch.
He, or rather Brian Anderson (I suppose it could be another Brian Anderson), faced 8 hitters gave up 4 hits, 4 runs (2 earned) and walked 1.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-28-2004, 01:46 PM
California Sox California Sox is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,441
Post

That's hilarious. Anderson has been wantingto pitch and keeping his arm in shape for the opportunity according to the interview he did with mlb radio. Too bad he didn't pitch better, we need a rightfielder and bullpen help, getting both from one guy would give us roster space for team mascot Sandy Alomar Jr.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-28-2004, 05:35 PM
Soxzilla Soxzilla is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Aurora
Posts: 1,784
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox
That's hilarious. Anderson has been wantingto pitch and keeping his arm in shape for the opportunity according to the interview he did with mlb radio. Too bad he didn't pitch better, we need a rightfielder and bullpen help, getting both from one guy would give us roster space for team mascot Sandy Alomar Jr.

"And it'd be cheap too!"
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-31-2004, 01:27 PM
California Sox California Sox is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,441
Post

Anderson's had a decent week. He leads his team in homers and rbi even though he's only hitting .232. He's the least of our worries in the minors IMHO.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-31-2004, 05:36 PM
santo=dorf santo=dorf is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,465
Default

Hey Wealz! Read this from Rotoworld:

Quote:
Brian Anderson homered, singled, walked twice and stole three bases for Mesa of the AFL yesterday.
Anderson entered the game 11-for-53, giving him a .208 average
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-10-2004, 09:01 AM
SoxFanTillDeath SoxFanTillDeath is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Palatine, IL
Posts: 294
Default

Sounds pretty good to me...he's not one-dimensional (power), and that's what I like.
__________________
**********************
crc#4
Sox Fan since birth...
...Sox Fan 'till death.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.