White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2004, 04:20 PM
WSI Personality

Default Anderson Struggling in AFL

Anderson is having a tough time in the AFL .184/.319/.316 (38 AB's). Coming on the heels of a tough final 4-5 weeks in Birmingham I think his development is somewhat of a cause for concern at the moment.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wealz
Anderson is having a tough time in the AFL .184/.319/.316 (38 AB's). Coming on the heels of a tough final 4-5 weeks in Birmingham I think his development is somewhat of a cause for concern at the moment.
I think you're reading into a small sample size a bit too much. Can we give him, like, a full season of failure in Birmingham before we say his progress has been hindered?
Old 10-25-2004, 06:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Anderson barely played the last couple weeks with Birmingham, maybe now he's just trying to get back playing, he'll be fine, you're making to much out of this.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:28 PM
WSI Personality

All I'm saying is Anderson's first 330 proffesional AB's were very good, his last 150 have not been very good. The vast majority of those first 330 AB's came in high single-A where he was a little old for the league too.

Are there legitimate reasons for concern with him here? I don't know, but I'd certainly have liked to see him hit better against the tougher competition.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
All I'm saying is Anderson's first 330 proffesional AB's were very good, his last 150 have not been very good. The vast majority of those first 330 AB's came in high single-A where he was a little old for the league too.

Are there legitimate reasons for concern with him here? I don't know, but I'd certainly have liked to see him hit better against the tougher competition.
Unless he continues to struggle over an extended period of time (like something over 400 ABs), I see no cause for concern. Anything can happen in 40 ABs... hell, anything can happen in 150 ABs. Hector Ortiz hit .386/.443/.455 in 88 ABs for the 2000 Royals. He never amounted to anything.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:03 AM
WSI Personality

I don't think there is cause for concern yet. Look at his bb/k ratio. Even hitting .189 he's got 8 walks and 7 strikeouts. Plus, it's 38 AB's. As far as the end of his season is concerned, he was tearing up the Southern League until he had injuries and illness. I don't think this is a Borchard situation, where the more you looked inside the numbers, the more worried you got. I think Anderson'll be fine. Maybe not a superstar, but a productive major leaguer.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:55 AM
WSI Church Elder

You have the numbers wrong Wealz, he's currently .217/.339/.391 in 46 at bats with 9 BB and 8 K.

It's definitely too small a sample size to be concerned, and it's good to see Brian taking more walks.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:43 AM
WSI Personality

I see where Anderson pitched 2/3 of an inning the other day in the AFL. I'm sure it was a case of the team running out of pitchers, however I'd be very surprised if Williams isn't highly upset at the manager of the team for this. It's a good way for a position player to blow out their arm.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:08 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
I see where Anderson pitched 2/3 of an inning the other day in the AFL. I'm sure it was a case of the team running out of pitchers, however I'd be very surprised if Williams isn't highly upset at the manager of the team for this. It's a good way for a position player to blow out their arm.
2/3 of an inning? Are you kidding me? That could be 1 pitch.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:40 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23
2/3 of an inning? Are you kidding me? That could be 1 pitch.
He, or rather Brian Anderson (I suppose it could be another Brian Anderson), faced 8 hitters gave up 4 hits, 4 runs (2 earned) and walked 1.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:46 PM
WSI Personality

That's hilarious. Anderson has been wantingto pitch and keeping his arm in shape for the opportunity according to the interview he did with mlb radio. Too bad he didn't pitch better, we need a rightfielder and bullpen help, getting both from one guy would give us roster space for team mascot Sandy Alomar Jr.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox
That's hilarious. Anderson has been wantingto pitch and keeping his arm in shape for the opportunity according to the interview he did with mlb radio. Too bad he didn't pitch better, we need a rightfielder and bullpen help, getting both from one guy would give us roster space for team mascot Sandy Alomar Jr.

"And it'd be cheap too!"
Old 10-31-2004, 01:27 PM
WSI Personality

Anderson's had a decent week. He leads his team in homers and rbi even though he's only hitting .232. He's the least of our worries in the minors IMHO.
Old 10-31-2004, 05:36 PM
Banned

Hey Wealz! Read this from Rotoworld:

Quote:
Brian Anderson homered, singled, walked twice and stole three bases for Mesa of the AFL yesterday.
Anderson entered the game 11-for-53, giving him a .208 average
Old 11-10-2004, 09:01 AM
WSI Regular

Sounds pretty good to me...he's not one-dimensional (power), and that's what I like.
crc#4
Sox Fan since birth...
...Sox Fan 'till death.