White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2005, 04:32 PM
Banned

I think Joe needs to see more full game time in the big leagues. He deserves as much of a look as Dransfeldt does.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad
I was somewhat disappointed with Borchard's defense.
I was somewhat disappointed with Joe. Period. He should start at AAA so he can get playing time and come up only if and when Dye gets hurt.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:27 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad
I was somewhat disappointed with Borchard's defense.
when i watched joe play, i thought he covered more ground than your average OF, and had a CANNON for an arm...

i'm saying that, and i hate joe borchard.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:14 PM
Banned

Finally a person who isn't bashing on borchard, you notice until 2004 Araon Rownad wasn't exactly doing so good. And now he is the best player ever. I think we should give this guy some time, he never got a big chance to play. If Dye gets hurt again I say let the guy play. If he does bad then.... maybe we should think about giving up on him, but not until he gets real playing time.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:27 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by B M l o t 7
Finally a person who isn't bashing on borchard, you notice until 2004 Araon Rownad wasn't exactly doing so good. And now he is the best player ever. I think we should give this guy some time, he never got a big chance to play. If Dye gets hurt again I say let the guy play. If he does bad then.... maybe we should think about giving up on him, but not until he gets real playing time.
I think Borchard got plenty of playing time the second half of last year, and he hit about .160. Rowand never struggled that badly or looked as helpless at the plate as Borchard did.

The Sox would be making a horrible mistake by giving Borchard a starting job. In fact, KW went out and signed Dye because Joe showed us last year that he isn't ready to be the full-time RF.

BTW, Rowand was pretty damn good in a part-time role in 2003. His 2004 breakout was not that big of a surprise.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:28 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infallible
I think Joe needs to see more full game time in the big leagues. He deserves as much of a look as Dransfeldt does.
Dransfeldt deserves a look on the basis of what?
Old 01-16-2005, 01:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Rowand started performing like a major league player when he started that rigorous training program he does. When Borchard joins him, I'll give him another chance.
As of right now he strikes out waaaay too much.
In 2004, Timo Perez had 92 more at-bats than Borchard and struck out 28 fewer times. If we didn't have Dye, I would rather see Perez in right every day over Borchard. If we take it to averages, Borchard's Strikeouts to At-bats average is .282. Dye's is .240, Perez's is .099. If you're going to make outs, put the ball in play.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:36 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
If Dye gets hurt again I say let the guy play. If he does bad then.... maybe we should think about giving up on him, but not until he gets real playing time.
There comes a time when performance has to be rewarded and lack of performance equals lack of playing time. Fact is, Joe's caught in a numbers game right now. Chances are that if Dye gets hurt in, say, July the guy who'd be brought up to take his spot is Anderson, not Joe. Now, one would have thought Reed would have been the guy when Magglio got hurt last year, so you can never tell, but Joe's chances diminish with every AB Anderson gets in the minors.

Also, as Frank gets healthy Crazy Carl's going to be hunting for ABs. I have a theory that he may get some at the expense of Podsednick (particularly if the .313 OBP comes back). But clearly if Dye were unable to play, Everett would be the choice over Joe, Timo, or Anderson.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98
based on no one else was doing jack squat for us last year. I don't care if he plays outfield or infield or what make them play a position.....with exception to the HR's look at Valentin, Crede, and Timo's numbers last year. They sucked it up. If Borchard or Dransfeldt turn out to be nothing better than any of them then nothing was lost was it? At least try something new. We didn't keep bringing Koch out over and over and over (well ok maybe we did) but eventually we wised up and tried someone else. At least the attempt was made to improve the system and not continue to ride out the same old same old.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:24 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infallible
based on no one else was doing jack squat for us last year. I don't care if he plays outfield or infield or what make them play a position.....with exception to the HR's look at Valentin, Crede, and Timo's numbers last year. They sucked it up. If Borchard or Dransfeldt turn out to be nothing better than any of them then nothing was lost was it? At least try something new. We didn't keep bringing Koch out over and over and over (well ok maybe we did) but eventually we wised up and tried someone else. At least the attempt was made to improve the system and not continue to ride out the same old same old.
Dransfeldt playing outfield? That's a laugh. The guy is a career utility infielder in the minor leagues, and you want to give him a shot as a major-league outfielder? Give me a break. Kelly has decent hands, but no range whatsoever. He's weaker defensively than any infielder we have on our team. Crede is far, far superior defensively. As for the offense, I think Dransfeldt would hit .230 or .240 at best if he played everyday. And he has little power. The Sox would be better off with Wilson Valdez as a fifth infielder.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:54 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesox029
Rowand started performing like a major league player when he started that rigorous training program he does. When Borchard joins him, I'll give him another chance.
As of right now he strikes out waaaay too much.
In 2004, Timo Perez had 92 more at-bats than Borchard and struck out 28 fewer times. If we didn't have Dye, I would rather see Perez in right every day over Borchard. If we take it to averages, Borchard's Strikeouts to At-bats average is .282. Dye's is .240, Perez's is .099. If you're going to make outs, put the ball in play.
I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but I don't think a rigorous training program is going to help Borchard. Joe can hit the ball over .500 feet. I don't believe lack of physical strength is his problem.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Hey, it cost a lot of money to stitch all those letters on the jerseys! You want that cash to go to waste?
Old 01-17-2005, 12:34 PM
Banned

I see your point that about Joe striking out a lot however you say that you should place Timo there instead? There is a reason why he was drafted in the first round, people saw potential in him. Joe Crede has been playing for what 3 years starting and he hasn't nearly produced to his potential. Since we sign Dye I don't see him getting any playing time for the sox anymore, but this guy could still do well in the major leagues. There might be a possibility in sending a package of Joe and Ben Davis to the dodgers, since the Dodgers have expressed interest in Davis and try to get some utility fielder or even Jeff Kent even though that's a long shot.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Joe can hit the ball over .500 feet. I don't believe lack of physical strength is his problem.
I ate a Subway sandwich twice that size today.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:00 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Kelly did a hell of a job last May when he was on the team. He had a couple of really big hits in limited playing time.