White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2004, 07:11 PM
WSI Regular

Default Joe Borchard

A lot has been written about Joe-almost all of it negative. Since I am retired I got to see Joe play every day. First of all no one tries harder than Joe. He gives it his all-much like Aaron Rowand. One of the things that stood out about Joe was that he was a very unlucky hitter. He must have hit at least 15 balls that would have normally been hits. The balls were either at someone or someone made a great play. I liked a lot of things he did. First of all he showed power to all fields. Also he drew a number of walks. Although he did not always play great defense, he showed the tools that could make him a good defensive player. Joe's big problem is that he tries too hard and is always trying to impress. Joe, by all accounts, is a good clubhouse guy. A lot is made about Joe's strikeouts. I think too much. If Joe could hit .250, I think he could hit 35 homeruns.I think he could be an Adam Dunn. One of the things thsat most fans don't take in consideration is that Joe essentially is a free ballplayer for the next few years. I think Joe Borchard should open in right field for the White Sox next year and the Sox should add pitching instead of worrying about right field.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:29 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredrudy
A lot has been written about Joe-almost all of it negative. Since I am retired I got to see Joe play every day. First of all no one tries harder than Joe. He gives it his all-much like Aaron Rowand. One of the things that stood out about Joe was that he was a very unlucky hitter. He must have hit at least 15 balls that would have normally been hits. The balls were either at someone or someone made a great play. I liked a lot of things he did. First of all he showed power to all fields. Also he drew a number of walks. Although he did not always play great defense, he showed the tools that could make him a good defensive player. Joe's big problem is that he tries too hard and is always trying to impress. Joe, by all accounts, is a good clubhouse guy. A lot is made about Joe's strikeouts. I think too much. If Joe could hit .250, I think he could hit 35 homeruns.I think he could be an Adam Dunn. One of the things thsat most fans don't take in consideration is that Joe essentially is a free ballplayer for the next few years. I think Joe Borchard should open in right field for the White Sox next year and the Sox should add pitching instead of worrying about right field.
First off: Welcome aboard!!!

Nice to hear first hand reports for someone with direct knowledge of a player. I know many here root a ton for Joe because he does seem to be a hard worker, blue collar type of guy. The only problem is that the team has a lot of power/mediocre OBP guys, so Joe's further unbalancing the offense (although if Knerko/s traded, that might not be so true).

I for one think he's going to get better ALA A-Row, the work ethic combined with raw talent usually ends up a s a good combination.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Good to have you aboard, Joe Borchard Sr.!
Old 10-15-2004, 09:04 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
If Borchard turned out anything like Dunn I'd be thrilled.

Bob
Old 10-17-2004, 09:05 PM
WSI Regular

I am really hopping that Joe developes as a hitter because he has huge potential. Later in the session he hit many more balls hard with consistancy. I believe our outfield is pretty solid (barring any trades) that we can worry more about pitching. How is Joe doing in Mexico?
Old 10-18-2004, 08:14 AM
WSI Church Elder

I agree with the poster 100%

And Welcome to WSI
Old 10-18-2004, 10:39 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingotime!!
I am really hopping that Joe developes as a hitter because he has huge potential. Later in the session he hit many more balls hard with consistancy. I believe our outfield is pretty solid (barring any trades) that we can worry more about pitching. How is Joe doing in Mexico?
Borchard isn't doing real well. He's hitting .111 in 18 games for Mazatlan. He also has 2 errors. It's not a lot of at bats (18 I think). You can find the stats here. IMO, he's not going to become Adam Dunn. Dunn is the same age Borchard is and his walk rate is tremedous (Joe's walk rate is just OK). But if Borchard could just hit something like .260, he would be an asset at the major league level. My question is, for people who have seen him play a lot, is he a good defensive outfielder? He didn't look great to me in right for the Sox this year, but that's just from seeing some stuff on TV, not in person. Plus I'm not going to be hired as a scout anytime soon
Old 10-18-2004, 07:14 PM
WSI Regular

Defensivly, Joe isnt gracful, but if he has the chance to pick up his pitcher he will be willing to risk giving up a double. Joe has decent speed along with a good arm.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:35 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
A lot has been written about Joe-almost all of it negative. Since I am retired I got to see Joe play every day. First of all no one tries harder than Joe. He gives it his all-much like Aaron Rowand. .
I like the way you think. Rowand is my favorite player on the team and i've been a big supporter of him. Borchard had to come up prematurely but he will become a big-game player sooner than later. Rowand is the exact same type of player. Welcome aboard my friend.

Old 10-19-2004, 07:38 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitlesswonder
You can find the stats here.
Larry Sutton's still around? Sheesh, never say die, I guess. The only reason I know that name is because he went to the U of IL, but at his age, I figured he would have given it up by now.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:58 AM
Banned

imo the sooner we all forget about joe the better.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:57 PM
WSI Personality

Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUsoxfan
I like the way you think. Rowand is my favorite player on the team and i've been a big supporter of him. Borchard had to come up prematurely but he will become a big-game player sooner than later. Rowand is the exact same type of player. Welcome aboard my friend.
love your sig man. I balled my eyes out when Al passed.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica
Good to have you aboard, Joe Borchard Sr.!
Old 10-25-2004, 09:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingotime!!
Defensivly, Joe isnt gracful, but if he has the chance to pick up his pitcher he will be willing to risk giving up a double. Joe has decent speed along with a good arm.
I think Joe's speed is deceptive. He actually covers a lot of ground and gets to more balls than Magglio. It's sort of a Dave Winfield thing.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:29 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondafarm
I think Joe's speed is deceptive. He actually covers a lot of ground and gets to more balls than Magglio. It's sort of a Dave Winfield thing.
I was somewhat disappointed with Borchard's defense.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello