White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2004, 01:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagar69
you can call me whatever the hell you want, but my point stands: another high pick wasted. sure you cant predict injuries but how bout honel, wing, and rodriguez getting hurt? after three guys have serious injuries like theyve had, the draftee deserves to be criticized.
but injuries dont matter, since because of KW's drafting we have GREAT depth at the SP spot
More to the point - Why didn't KW predict Frank & Maggs going out and proceed in the offseason accordingly?

Why didn't Billy Beane predict the slump down the stretch for Mulder, Zito, etc and make the necessary moves ahead of time?

Ummmm......maybe because none of them is named Nostradamus? Predicting injuries is not as easy as ID-ing habibharu, you know....
Old 10-08-2004, 01:18 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight #24
More to the point - Why didn't KW predict Frank & Maggs going out and proceed in the offseason accordingly?

Why didn't Billy Beane predict the slump down the stretch for Mulder, Zito, etc and make the necessary moves ahead of time?

Ummmm......maybe because none of them is named Nostradamus? Predicting injuries is not as easy as ID-ing habibharu, you know....
2004 is over and done with. How has Williams positioned this organization for 2005 and beyond is the criteria his perrformance as G.M. should now be judged on.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight #24

Nostradamus made over 400 predictions and not a single one was correct. The guy is bull****.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:19 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wealz
2004 is over and done with. How has Williams positioned this organization for 2005 and beyond is the criteria his perrformance as G.M. should now be judged on.
IMO, this offseason will be a huge factor in judging his overall performance. He did a good job this season, and the team could be positioned well for next year depending on what he does between now & April.

How his prospects do in the next 1-2 years and the major league moves he makes in this offseason will tell the tale of him as GM.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:23 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wealz
And if 2005 is a flop, we can spend next offseason talking about ow KW positioned this team for 2006 and beyond.

Bob
Old 10-09-2004, 09:38 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosox41
And if 2005 is a flop, we can spend next offseason talking about ow KW positioned this team for 2006 and beyond.

Bob
I have a question bout expectations? Do we expect a rookie GM to draft perfectly? Do we expect a rookie GM to make perfect trades?

I know that KW is no longer a rookie. The question is, has he learned anything?

If we simply judge him on how he did his first few years as a GM and decide he is a failure for all time with no hope of getting better, don't we have to lay that blame at JR's feet for signing him and giving him the authority he has?

Doesn't a guy new to his job still learning the ins and outs get some slack?

I agree - it is time for KW to put up or shut up, but judging him on the success of drafts and or trades from his first few years seems awfully tough. This is not an easy job - though you wouldn't know it from reading some of the posts on this board.

Still, what do people expect if KW gets fired? Does anyone really think JR is going to go out and sign an experienced, talented, highly-paid GM?

If so, there is a lovely 3-mile bridge that spans the Neuse and Trent rivers here in New Bern which I happen to own and will be glad to sell any of you for a very reasonable price. Tell you what, I'll settle for one year's Sox GM salary...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 10-09-2004, 02:18 PM
Banned

People, if Ryan Wing was such a good prospect, how did he clear waivers all the way through Texas? Is the waiver process the same as the process in August where the lower leveled team get to claim first? If so, why wouldn't Cleveland, KC, Tampa Bay, or even the Orioles claim a young pitching prospect with a lot of promise?
Old 10-09-2004, 03:11 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo=dorf
People, if Ryan Wing was such a good prospect, how did he clear waivers all the way through Texas? Is the waiver process the same as the process in August where the lower leveled team get to claim first? If so, why wouldn't Cleveland, KC, Tampa Bay, or even the Orioles claim a young pitching prospect with a lot of promise?
he was a good prospect. IIRC before the emergence of bmac, wing was the number two SP prospect in our org. after honel.
Old 10-09-2004, 04:00 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
he was a good prospect.
Correct. He WAS a good prospect. He no longer IS a good prospect.
Old 10-09-2004, 04:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
he was a good prospect. IIRC before the emergence of bmac, wing was the number two SP prospect in our org. after honel.
That didn't answer my ****ing questions.

Last edited by santo=dorf; 10-09-2004 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-09-2004, 04:11 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodiggity59
Correct. He WAS a good prospect. He no longer IS a good prospect.
yeah well thats because he is hurt.
Old 10-09-2004, 04:14 PM
WSI Regular

nodiggity, i have a question about your sig. you say that even if Reed becomes a HOF, the deal wont be bad. what the hell are you talkin about?!!!?? how else do you judge a trade other than how the players turn out and affect their teams 3 or 4 years after the trade. if reed is a HOF how is that NOT a bad trade???? and how exactly did the freddy trade help us THIS year? did let us have 83 wins instead or 78?
Old 10-10-2004, 03:21 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile
I have a question bout expectations? Do we expect a rookie GM to draft perfectly?
I get your overall point, so I didn't bother quoting your whole post. For clarification, the GM has very little to do with the draft other than overseeing the person that does it, which likely involves general planning. A GM being heavily involved as Billy Beane was portrayed in Money Ball is very rare.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:34 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo=dorf
Pitchers coming off surgery rarely get claimed. Wing has already lost one option. The Rangers will have to use another for his rehab year, which will not likely include beginning the season in the starting rotation of a club.

Basically what this means is that Texas is gambling that Wing will be good enough to be in the Majors by 2006 or risk losing him. That is a pretty big gamble on a pitcher who has never pitched above Class A and is coming off shoulder surgery.

That said, the White Sox took a gamble by taking him off their 40-man roster and ultimately losing him. It is my understanding that his rehab was going fine. That he would not have been ready to start the season, at least as a starter, but there were no problems with his rehab. This was a calculated move to open roster spots along with the others that were removed from the 40-man.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:54 AM
WSI Personality

It's my understanding that the 40-man roster stands at 36 currently. If that's correct, a.) why did they open that many spots at this time and b.) are there lesser prospects on that list than Wing even with the surgery?