White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2004, 05:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Hudler
Randar, other's opinions aside, what is yours on this situation? I am curious as to your insight as to why this could have happened from all perspectives, pro and con.
Until I hear more on the severity of the injury and prognosis, it's pretty hard to form any kind of steadfast opinion. I think it's likely a sign that he's not healthy. If not, then I do think it's likely been a mishandled situation, as there hasn't been any rush to open a spot on the 40-man roster that I'm aware of.

Again, I really only have a problem with the rush to judgement. Rex, have you been able to get this confirmed? I've only seen this original link, so I'm not sure I trust CBS in the first place.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagar69
you can call me whatever the hell you want, but my point stands: another high pick wasted. sure you cant predict injuries but how bout honel, wing, and rodriguez getting hurt? after three guys have serious injuries like theyve had, the draftee deserves to be criticized.
but injuries dont matter, since because of KW's drafting we have GREAT depth at the SP spot
Yeah! Because Kenny the dumbass should've known he was going to get injured sooner or later. He should've used that second round pick on whoever Billy Beane drafted in the third round, or fourth round, or even fifth round!!! KW sucks!!!

Old 10-07-2004, 06:16 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver
Quit trolling.

Or would you rather get booted out of here again?
what do you mean quit "trolling" what is that supposed to mean? im not allowed to state my opinion just because you and other dont agree with it? then what the hell is the point of a message board?
Old 10-07-2004, 06:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagar69
what do you mean quit "trolling" what is that supposed to mean? im not allowed to state my opinion just because you and other dont agree with it? then what the hell is the point of a message board?
There's a difference between stating a valid opinion and hammering opinions endlessly to pursue an agenda that simply have no factual basis or are just unfair characterizations. The difference between informed posting and trolling. Here's the encyclopedia definition of an internet troll:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Quote:
On the Internet, troll is a slang term used to describe:

1. A post (on a newsgroup, or other forum) that is solely intended to incite controversy or conflict or cause annoyance or offense. (Many posts may inadvertently cause strife as collateral damage, but they are not trolls.)
2. A person who posts these.
Yup, that describes you pretty accurately.
First Pennant in 46 years CHECK
First World Series in 88 years CHECK
Old 10-07-2004, 06:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdep524
Per sportsline.com, the Rangers have claimed one-time hot shot pitching prospect Ryan Wing off waivers from the Sox.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/7774786

Too bad things didn't work out for him here.
Eh, he was probably going to be traded for Roberto Alomar next year anyways.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:25 PM
WSI Personality

Borrowing from Stoney, don't tell me how rough the waters are just bring the ship in.

I understand that pitchers in every organization get hurt, but there's a great way to minimize the effect those injuries have on a farm system. Avoid drafting pitchers with premium picks. My definition of a premium pick would be the first 5 rounds.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wealz
Borrowing from Stoney, don't tell me how rough the waters are just bring the ship in.

I understand that pitchers in every organization get hurt, but there's a great way to minimize the effect those injuries have on a farm system. Avoid drafting pitchers with premium picks. My definition of a premium pick would be the first 5 rounds.
You can never rule out any player at any point in the draft. A large percentage of the great pitchers who were draft eligible came from the first 5 rounds. You can't disqualify any player at any spot in the draft due to position unless you already have an abundance at that position
Old 10-07-2004, 08:46 PM
WSI Personality

This is disappointing in that Wing looked like he had a bright future. I hope he bounces back at some point for Texas. Randar, on a related topic, have you heard anything on the prognosis for Corwin Malone? Since his injury was an elbow and not a shoulder and one of the common side effects of elbow problems is a serious loss of control (see Rick Ankiel, for instance), is it possible that Malone could return next spring healthy and with improved control? He's my sleeper candidate in our minor league system. I think he's got a chance to surprise and appear in the Sox uni at some point in 2005.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox
This is disappointing in that Wing looked like he had a bright future. I hope he bounces back at some point for Texas. Randar, on a related topic, have you heard anything on the prognosis for Corwin Malone? Since his injury was an elbow and not a shoulder and one of the common side effects of elbow problems is a serious loss of control (see Rick Ankiel, for instance), is it possible that Malone could return next spring healthy and with improved control? He's my sleeper candidate in our minor league system. I think he's got a chance to surprise and appear in the Sox uni at some point in 2005.
I don't know that he'll ever be healthy. Both he and Jason Stumm are in Arizona working hard on their rehabbing from what I've heard, so they hasn't given it up yet. I don't have it in front of me, but IIRC Malone had Tommy John surgery and then had shoulder injuries when working his way back. I don't remember off the top of my head, though.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wealz

Mulder was drafted #2, Zito #11. Yeah, good thing your hero follows that mantra...

Last edited by Randar68; 10-07-2004 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:34 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Until I hear more on the severity of the injury and prognosis, it's pretty hard to form any kind of steadfast opinion. I think it's likely a sign that he's not healthy. If not, then I do think it's likely been a mishandled situation, as there hasn't been any rush to open a spot on the 40-man roster that I'm aware of.

Again, I really only have a problem with the rush to judgement. Rex, have you been able to get this confirmed? I've only seen this original link, so I'm not sure I trust CBS in the first place.
From what I understand, the Sox did their annual fall purge of the 40-man roster which also included Pacheco, Stewart and Sanders. This is routine. This smells like a bad gamble, but like you said, it is too soon to be sure.

I am out of town at the moment, but I will see what I can dig up in the next few days.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:45 PM
WSI Regular

From rotoworld:

"Rangers claimed LHP Ryan Wing off waivers from the White Sox.Not a bad gamble. Wing, a 2001 second-round pick, missed the entire season with a shoulder injury, but he never did need surgery. If he shows up next year at 100 percent, he should still be viewed as a potential third or fourth starter."

I guess I was wrong about Wing having surgery. Can someone who is a more definitive source than rotoworld confirm this? If it's true, maybe I was hasty in my defense of the Sox. Sigh. Although, if Texas claimed him that means that quite a few teams passed him over. Claim order is the reverse of this year's standings, right? Without surgery, I would have thought someone else would have claimed him before the Rangers.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:53 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitlesswonder
From rotoworld:

"Rangers claimed LHP Ryan Wing off waivers from the White Sox.Not a bad gamble. Wing, a 2001 second-round pick, missed the entire season with a shoulder injury, but he never did need surgery. If he shows up next year at 100 percent, he should still be viewed as a potential third or fourth starter."

I guess I was wrong about Wing having surgery. Can someone who is a more definitive source than rotoworld confirm this? If it's true, maybe I was hasty in my defense of the Sox. Sigh. Although, if Texas claimed him that means that quite a few teams passed him over. Claim order is the reverse of this year's standings, right? Without surgery, I would have thought someone else would have claimed him before the Rangers.
I am pretty sure he had surgery.

Any team that claimed him would have to have a spot open on their 40-man roster. One they were willing to use on a player rehabbing and still likely a minimum of two years away from the big leagues.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Hudler
I am pretty sure he had surgery.

Any team that claimed him would have to have a spot open on their 40-man roster. One they were willing to use on a player rehabbing and still likely a minimum of two years away from the big leagues.
Well knowing the Rangers, it's not surprising that they were willing to take this risk.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:35 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Welcome back habibharu!
Alright!!! Someone else has figured out shagar69's new alias too!!!

SMO