White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2004, 12:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Ryan Wing picked up by Rangers

Per sportsline.com, the Rangers have claimed one-time hot shot pitching prospect Ryan Wing off waivers from the Sox.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/7774786

Too bad things didn't work out for him here.
"All I wanted was to get to the World Series one time. One time. I didn't care how I got there. I'm here with these guys in body, mind and spirit. People say it's bittersweet. It's not bittersweet. It's only sweet."

-Frank Thomas, 10/15/05
Old 10-07-2004, 12:28 PM
WSI Regular

way to go KW! freakin moron, why draft HS SP if you cant develop them properly
Old 10-07-2004, 12:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagar69
way to go KW! freakin moron, why draft HS SP if you cant develop them properly
Way to go shagar69! Ryan Wing was not a HS draftee. He also was out all year with a SHOULDER injury, contrary to what theCBS Sportsline link says. How many people come back from that?

As usual, don't let facts get in the way of your ignorant chicken-little drivel.

Old 10-07-2004, 01:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Wing was a second-round pick by the Chicago White Sox in 2001, but he missed all of this past season with tendinitis [?!?] in his throwing shoulder.
Wow, I can't believe that people get paid to write this BS. The Sox must believe that his shoulder injury is career-ending. I was afraid of that, which is why I left him off of my top 10 prospects list.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:19 PM
WSI Regular

I really don't see any evidence you can use to lay blame on the Sox organization in this case. The attrition rate for minor league pitchers in any organization is high, I know of no evidence that the Sox are any worse than anyone else in preventing injuries. Seattle, as an example, has had a ton of highly thought of pitching products lately and have little to show for it at the major league level right now (Ryan Andseron was, I think, the best pitching prospect in baseball at one point and they lost him to a shoulder injury). As for losing Wing for nothing, you have to keep in mind that post-injury he simply does not have the same value as before. When an organization is willing to risk losing a pitching prospect, it says something about how severe they think the injury is. Randar is right, almost no pitcher comes back from shoulder surgery. I think the only thing to do is wish Ryan Wing the best, and hope whomever takes his roster spot here turns out to be a pretty good player.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:25 PM
WSI Personality

Questions:

What was Wing diagnosed with?

Did he have surgery?

Why was he waived?
Old 10-07-2004, 02:07 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Way to go shagar69! Ryan Wing was not a HS draftee. He also was out all year with a SHOULDER injury, contrary to what theCBS Sportsline link says. How many people come back from that?

As usual, don't let facts get in the way of your ignorant chicken-little drivel.

your right, he was out of CC. but thats not the point. he was drafted in the SECOND ROUND! nice job by KW on using our 2nd round pick!
Old 10-07-2004, 02:09 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wealz
Questions:

What was Wing diagnosed with?

Did he have surgery?

Why was he waived?
I'm sure others know much more about this than me, but early this season Wing went out with a sore shoulder. I don't know what the diagnosis was, but he had shoulder surgery some time around June or July. I believe he was on the 40 man roster, so I imagine he got claimed as the Sox tried to move him off the roster to open up a spot for someone else. Maybe someone who knows more about the minors can confirm or correct this?
Old 10-07-2004, 02:20 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
your right, he was out of CC. but thats not the point. he was drafted in the SECOND ROUND! nice job by KW on using our 2nd round pick!
If Wing had performed poorly, I would agree it was a bad pick. That's not what happened; he performed pretty well, and then got injured. I don't think Williams record as GM is above reproach, but how could he know Wing would have shoulder problems a couple of years later? Pitchers with great mechnics still get injured (look at Prior this year), and how many pitchers (or even players) picked in the first round go down with injuries? By this logic, Joe Mauer was a bad pick for everyone's favorite developmental organization becuase he went down with a knee injury this year.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitlesswonder
If Wing had performed poorly, I would agree it was a bad pick. That's not what happened; he performed pretty well, and then got injured. I don't think Williams record as GM is above reproach, but how could he know Wing would have shoulder problems a couple of years later? Pitchers with great mechnics still get injured (look at Prior this year), and how many pitchers (or even players) picked in the first round go down with injuries? By this logic, Joe Mauer was a bad pick for everyone's favorite developmental organization becuase he went down with a knee injury this year.
Heck, Wing was the poster-boy for "Low-mileage arm". He didn't start pitching until Junior College and was thought highly enough of to be ranked ahead of Honel by several people I know even before both were injured.

shagar is just a troll and will turn anything into a Williams criticism. Before you know it, KW will have snuck into Wing's hotel room and injected his shoulder with ebola. *****.

Old 10-07-2004, 03:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Man, you have no clue.

Robert M. Knight
Old 10-07-2004, 04:11 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Heck, Wing was the poster-boy for "Low-mileage arm". He didn't start pitching until Junior College and was thought highly enough of to be ranked ahead of Honel by several people I know even before both were injured.

shagar is just a troll and will turn anything into a Williams criticism. Before you know it, KW will have snuck into Wing's hotel room and injected his shoulder with ebola. *****.

you can call me whatever the hell you want, but my point stands: another high pick wasted. sure you cant predict injuries but how bout honel, wing, and rodriguez getting hurt? after three guys have serious injuries like theyve had, the draftee deserves to be criticized.
but injuries dont matter, since because of KW's drafting we have GREAT depth at the SP spot
Old 10-07-2004, 04:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
you can call me whatever the hell you want, but my point stands: another high pick wasted. sure you cant predict injuries but how bout honel, wing, and rodriguez getting hurt? after three guys have serious injuries like theyve had, the draftee deserves to be criticized.
but injuries dont matter, since because of KW's drafting we have GREAT depth at the SP spot
Welcome back habibharu!
Old 10-07-2004, 04:15 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Quit trolling.

Or would you rather get booted out of here again?
Old 10-07-2004, 04:18 PM
WSI Personality

Randar, other's opinions aside, what is yours on this situation? I am curious as to your insight as to why this could have happened from all perspectives, pro and con.