White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-29-2004, 12:38 PM
Foulke You Foulke You is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 10,139
Blog Entries: 1
Default A's folding down the stretch

Kind've lost amongst a lot of the other baseball stories is the fact that the A's are absolutely peeing their pants down the stretch here. As little as a few weeks ago, it looked like they had a solid hold on the division and it was a forgone conclusion that they were playoff bound. The Angels and to a lesser degree, the Rangers, have been hot while the A's have been losing to the likes of the lowly Seattle Mariners. I've seen some of the A's lowlights and it reminds me of the way the Sox looked in that last series in Minnesota in Sept of 2003. They look clueless out there. Mulder has been very beatable recently and Zito hasn't been far from his normal 20 win type year. I wonder what gives? Is Ken Macha just blowing these guys arms out or are they all having an off year?

They are now tied for the AL West lead with Anaheim and honestly, if I were to bet money on a team winning this division, I'd have to say the Angels are going to take this thing, despite losing Jose Guillen. They just look hungrier right now and Vlad has been on a tear recently. One thing the A's do have going for them is that the last 3 games of the year to decide the division against the Angels will be in Oakland. However, even if they stumble into the playoffs, I can see them getting bounced in round 1 again because their pitching staff hasn't been what it used to be. Any other opinions on how the AL West is going to shakedown?
__________________
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-29-2004, 03:28 PM
MarkEdward MarkEdward is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Oak Forest, Illinios
Posts: 1,899
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You
Kind've lost amongst a lot of the other baseball stories is the fact that the A's are absolutely peeing their pants down the stretch here. As little as a few weeks ago, it looked like they had a solid hold on the division and it was a forgone conclusion that they were playoff bound. The Angels and to a lesser degree, the Rangers, have been hot while the A's have been losing to the likes of the lowly Seattle Mariners. I've seen some of the A's lowlights and it reminds me of the way the Sox looked in that last series in Minnesota in Sept of 2003. They look clueless out there. Mulder has been very beatable recently and Zito hasn't been far from his normal 20 win type year. I wonder what gives? Is Ken Macha just blowing these guys arms out or are they all having an off year?
The Big Three are going through varying degrees of difficulty right now. Hudson's been the best of the bunch, but even his ERA is about 4.50 since the All Star break. Zito's had a better second half, but he's still up and down. Mulder's been horrible since about August, and many seem to think he has an injury. Overall, I wouldn't blame it on overwork or Macha, I think they're just going through a cold streak.

Quote:
They are now tied for the AL West lead with Anaheim and honestly, if I were to bet money on a team winning this division, I'd have to say the Angels are going to take this thing, despite losing Jose Guillen. They just look hungrier right now and Vlad has been on a tear recently. One thing the A's do have going for them is that the last 3 games of the year to decide the division against the Angels will be in Oakland. However, even if they stumble into the playoffs, I can see them getting bounced in round 1 again because their pitching staff hasn't been what it used to be. Any other opinions on how the AL West is going to shakedown?
Well, I'm still trying to stay optimistic. Rich Harden is pitching tonight, so that's good. The weekend series, as you mentioned, is in Oakland, which is a plus. The A's will send Mulder, Zito, and Hudson against Colon, Lackey, and Washburn. The Angels' pitchers will be throwing on short rest.

Should be an interesting five games coming up...
__________________
Proud sponsor of the Mark Johnson and Eddie Collins pages at baseball-reference.com.
"We believe in a government strong enough to use the words "love" and "compassion" and smart enough to convert our noblest aspirations into practical realities."
Mario Cuomo- 1984.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-29-2004, 03:30 PM
marlins03 marlins03 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Cape Coral ,FL
Posts: 104
Default

i gotta give props to my boy redman
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-29-2004, 06:22 PM
ChiSoxRowand ChiSoxRowand is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: DeKalb/Rockford
Posts: 1,731
Default

This is very unusual for Oakland. September is always their strongest month. Every starting pitcher has an era of at least 5.00 for September and Mulder's is over 8.00. They have Harden going tonight, he's been their best pitcher the second half. I still think they will pull this out.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-29-2004, 06:45 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 32,743
Default

Simple answer...the A's dearly miss pitching coach Rick Petersen and the Angels 120 million dollar payroll is obviously coming through.

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-29-2004, 07:07 PM
Nick@Nite's Avatar
Nick@Nite Nick@Nite is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,670
Icon12 $120M is a nice round number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1
Simple answer...the A's dearly miss pitching coach Rick Petersen and the Angels 120 million dollar payroll is obviously coming through.

Lip

"120 million dollar payroll? No way!"


"120 million dollar payroll? Hubba hubba!"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-29-2004, 07:36 PM
Blueprint1 Blueprint1 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Chicago (South Loop)
Posts: 4,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Nite

"120 million dollar payroll? No way!"


"120 million dollar payroll? Hubba hubba!"
"IF ONLY i had that money i could build that 1998 allstar team ive always dreamed of putting on the team. We already have both Alomars, Everett,and Frank Thomas. I wonder if the Yankee would trade Kenny Lofton.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-30-2004, 08:29 AM
samram's Avatar
samram samram is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6,548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueprint1
"IF ONLY i had that money i could build that 1998 allstar team ive always dreamed of putting on the team. We already have both Alomars, Everett,and Frank Thomas. I wonder if the Yankee would trade Kenny Lofton.
I'm sure they would, and I'll bet the Mets would give up Mo Vaughn pretty cheap too. Just grab Scott Erickson from Texas and find Shane Reynolds on the scrap heap somewhere, and you're on your way.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-30-2004, 08:34 AM
kraut83 kraut83 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Williamston, MI
Posts: 827
Default

Mulder was definitely not throwing well Sunday night against the Angels & it's definitely a case of each of the "Big 3" in a slump at the same time which has never really happened. I'm glad though. I want to see the Angels in, and I still dislike Oakland from back when the Sox were in the AL West.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-30-2004, 05:22 PM
Foulke You Foulke You is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 10,139
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Does anyone know if any of the Angels/A's series will be on national TV this weekend? That should be one of the best series to watch this weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-30-2004, 05:24 PM
MRKARNO MRKARNO is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Downtown
Posts: 7,678
Default

Crosby gives the A's a walkoff victory. Couple that with a Anaheim loss and the division is retied
__________________
Post season checklist:
First home playoff win in 46 years Check
First playoff series win in 88 years Check
First Pennant in 46 years CHECK
First World Series in 88 years CHECK
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-30-2004, 07:36 PM
fquaye149 fquaye149 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: fayetteville, ar
Posts: 10,116
Default

but wait: what you're saying is that what determines the A's success is THE PITCHING and not the moneyball hitters? gee whiz, that comes as a surprise to me
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.