White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2004, 10:07 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRKARNO
Who is the better third basemen defensively between Fields and Schnurstein?

And when are we ever going to get a C/SS/2B prospect that's decent and doenst just project to be a util IF? Is Valido still a reality that we just have to be patient on?
Fields has more upside in range, Schnurstein is a decent fielder, that hits well but lacks plate discipline, I have not seen enough on Fields to judge what he hits, Randar may have more info on that.

Valido is the real deal, as far as patience goes, he was drafted out of HS, what pace do you want him to live up to? He is a slick fielder that has shown to have a decent bat at the lower levels, but I doubt he is the second coming of Alex Rodriguez.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:53 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver
I've seen him.

He's a third baseman, not a gold glove contender, but he can play the position. He doesn't project the power you want out of that position, but he is a spray hitter that hits to all fields, and does have some gap power, to both left and right.
He's got very good gap power right now and should develop more "homer" power as he continues to fill out. Plus, the ball just dies in Kanny. Love his approach at the plate though, uses all parts of the field. Still pretty raw at the hot corner, imo.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:55 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

And when are we ever going to get a C/SS/2B prospect that's decent and doenst just project to be a util IF? Is Valido still a reality that we just have to be patient on?
I'd probably say neither at this point. Both have a lot to work on and I don't want to throw around great defensive player at this point with either of them. Schnur is a converted shortstop if I recall, so he's still learning footwork although from talking with him he's a lot more confident now. Not too great of range, but he is pretty smooth over there.

Fields makes errors and what not, but has a good, accurate arm. Both have the potential and Fields has more range. Both need to work on their footwork and what not.

As far as defense goes, Andy Gonzalez, Pedro Lopez, and Robert Valido all can make some fantastic plays. They got to work on consistency, but damn can they make plays.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:00 AM
Banned

Quote:

not sure but fields is a better pocket passer
Old 09-15-2004, 01:38 AM
WSI Personality

A long time Major League scout told me that he has rated both Valido and Lopez and big league SS. He thinks Andy Gonzalez can be but is more raw. He said not many organizations that he has seen have as many high quality SS.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:36 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Hudler
A long time Major League scout told me that he has rated both Valido and Lopez and big league SS. He thinks Andy Gonzalez can be but is more raw. He said not many organizations that he has seen have as many high quality SS.
That is definitely encouraging to hear. As I've mentioned many times before, Baseball America is not the end-all, be-all of baseball information, but their recent list of SS Prospect didn't include any White Sox. I know their list mainly focus on AA and AAA prospects as well. I'm a Valido fan myself.

Here is their list...
1. Joel Guzman, Dodgers
2. Hanley Ramirez, Red Sox

3. J.J. Hardy, Brewers

4. Erick Aybar, Angels

5. Tony Giarratano, Tigers

6. Sergio Santos, Diamondbacks

7. Joaquin Arias, Rangers

8. Jason Bartlett, Twins

9. Alberto Callaspo, Angels

10. Ian Kinsler, Rangers

OTHERS TO CONSIDER

Russ Adams, Blue Jays
Robert Andino, Marlins
Andres Blanco, Royals
Aaron Hill, Blue Jays
Chin-Lung Hu, Dodgers
Adam Jones, Mariners
Mike Morse, Mariners
Omar Quintanilla, Athletics
Josh Wilson, Marlins
Brandon Wood, Angels
Old 09-15-2004, 09:59 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungo
That is definitely encouraging to hear. As I've mentioned many times before, Baseball America is not the end-all, be-all of baseball information, but their recent list of SS Prospect didn't include any White Sox. I know their list mainly focus on AA and AAA prospects as well. I'm a Valido fan myself.
All those Sox prospects are very young/raw and none of them, while all slick fielders (although varying in consistency), none of them has hit with numbers that would really warrant recognition *YET*

Valido is the real deal. He and Lopez are really good friends, and both will be pushing eachother as they move up. Valido made his All-Star team this year and had a rough second half, but it's his first full-season of baseball. It's a tough game mentally to go that long, especialy when you haven't experienced it before.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:04 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver
Fields has more upside in range, Schnurstein is a decent fielder, that hits well but lacks plate discipline, I have not seen enough on Fields to judge what he hits, Randar may have more info on that.
Fields is a slick fielder at times, but the infields in the lower levels eat 3rd basemen for lunch. I saw him almost catch a couple in the chin in one game. Same game I saw him make a bare-handed play and a strong throw, as well as a diving stab on a sharp liner in the hole...

He moves well, but he does need more experience and consistency. My one concern is with his throwing motion. He still throws like he's throwing a football, and it can be a little slow at times getting the ball out of his hand.

Fields is a hard-swinger. He definitely needs to work on pitch selection, but he has a lot of raw power. The transition to wood bats for him was harder than for most, as he never got the chance to play summer leagues and such to get used to them... Unless he makes a dramatic improvement in plate discipline, I don't ever see him as being a .380+ OBP guy, but he has 30+ HR potential and could be a near .300 hitter IMO. Konerko with more speed?
Old 09-15-2004, 01:03 PM
WSI Personality

Bajenaru & Tracey get some ink at BA's website on their list of 12 breakout players.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...0915pulse.html

Quote:
Jeff Bajenaru, rhp, White Sox. Left off the 40-man roster after recovering from Tommy John surgery in 2002, Bajenaru has regained his heavy sinking fastball in the low 90s and good splitter. The former Oklahoma All-American struck out 67 in just 54 minor league innings and posted a 1.51 ERA to earn a call to Chicago. He gave up a game-winning hit to Ichiro Suzuki in his first big league game, though.
Sean Tracey, rhp, White Sox. With Brady Anderson retired, Tracey carries the banner for UC Irvine, and his end-of-season performance in the Carolina League bodes well for his chances of replacing Anderson as the Anteaters' big league alumnus. Though he has a funky arm action and a mechanical delivery, Tracey repeats them well enough to show average command of three major league pitches. His fastball has touched 96 mph and sits at 92-93 with good life, and his 84-86 mph slider and sinking changeup also earn above-average grades from scouts. He finished second in the CL in ERA and strikeouts.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:14 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungo
Bajenaru & Tracey get some ink at BA's website on their list of 12 breakout players.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...0915pulse.html
yeah tracey is definitley one to keep an eye on. but he hit 23 guys this year! thats almost one a start. so he does have some control problems to figure out
Old 09-15-2004, 07:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagar69
yeah tracey is definitley one to keep an eye on. but he hit 23 guys this year! thats almost one a start. so he does have some control problems to figure out
Call him up to face Minnesota!
Old 09-15-2004, 08:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Hudler
This is very good to hear. I would like to start seeing more from Valido and Lopez's bats pretty soon though. Andy Gonzalez has a pretty good eye it seems with 49 BBs and only 53 Ks for a .365 OBP. Looks like Gonzalez can play some 3B and 2B as well, so that's always a plus.
First Pennant in 46 years CHECK
First World Series in 88 years CHECK