White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2004, 11:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisoxfn
I don't have my notes in front of me, but he throws about 5 pitches.
He was working on that splitter, which would make 5 pitches, but he didn't use it in games yet from what I could tell in early August. He was really working on his slider in his pen session. Lisk couldn't catch it half the time.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:27 PM
WSI Personality

Haigwood/Rodriguez

You want to talk about sleepers, those two should be right there as should Micah Schnurstein. All three have a lot of ability. Haig got to 100% late in the season and I'd look for him to take some big steps forward over the offseason, same for Rodriguez.

As far as KW clearing the cuboard, he dealt a lot of AAA guys and it has long been my opinion over the past 1-2 years that Charlotte just didn't have any "special" prospects. Borchard had the chance, but had been on the decline for a while as a prospect.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:28 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
He was working on that splitter, which would make 5 pitches, but he didn't use it in games yet from what I could tell in early August. He was really working on his slider in his pen session. Lisk couldn't catch it half the time.
That was the same when I saw Lisk working with the splitter. The pitching coach was telling him where to throw it and was telling Lisk where to put his glove so the ball could come down. You could tell Lisk still had a lot to learn behind the plate. But it seems like the organization as a whole is still a fan of him (from what I gathered from Kirk Champion).

Right now, I can't wait to see what some of the guys down in Kanny/WS can do with another year under their belt. I think they have some guys right on the cusp of breaking through.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:15 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisoxfn
You want to talk about sleepers, those two should be right there as should Micah Schnurstein. All three have a lot of ability. Haig got to 100% late in the season and I'd look for him to take some big steps forward over the offseason, same for Rodriguez.
Then, with about 3-4 weeks left in the season, Haigwood messed his hand up going after a ball back at him. I don't think he pitched the rest of the way, did he? He was going in for another X-Ray when I left town...
Old 09-14-2004, 11:25 AM
WSI Regular

i dont know about you guys but IMO, i think that ruddy yan could be a sleeper too, since he has so much speed.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:51 PM
WSI Personality

Spidale is a top 10 prospect.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:59 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wealz
Spidale is a top 10 prospect.
are you kiddin me? spidale AT BEST will be a utility OF in the majors! he has NO POWER whatsoever! and if you put spidale in the top ten, you must have somebody with a way higher ceiling out of it. id like to know your top ten
Old 09-14-2004, 01:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagar69
are you kiddin me? spidale AT BEST will be a utility OF in the majors! he has NO POWER whatsoever! and if you put spidale in the top ten, you must have somebody with a way higher ceiling out of it. id like to know your top ten
Wealz has like a top 3 followed by 7 bitching points about KW, Shaffer, and drafting...

Old 09-14-2004, 01:12 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Spidale is 22 and finished with a .391 OBP at Birmingham.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:15 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Wealz has like a top 3 followed by 7 bitching points about KW, Shaffer, and drafting...

And you have an excuse ready for every failed prospect. I guess we balance one another out.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:43 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:

randar id like to know your opinion on spidale. do you agree that he wont be much more than a utility OF
Old 09-14-2004, 01:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
randar id like to know your opinion on spidale. do you agree that he wont be much more than a utility OF
To become any more than one, he has to make another jump similar to the one he made last year to this year. He had a decent # of extra base hits considering he isn't a HR hitter, and he has a below-average arm.

He's a decent, not-great, prospect. He's somewhere in the 8-15 range, IMO.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:52 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
To become any more than one, he has to make another jump similar to the one he made last year to this year. He had a decent # of extra base hits considering he isn't a HR hitter, and he has a below-average arm.

yeah i just dont understand how he could have ONLY 7 hrs even though hes got 27 doubles and 7 triples! his .432 SLG. is pretty solid
Old 09-14-2004, 01:55 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

If your track record is any indication I like his chances.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Pretty identical to what my list would look like. I'd drop Tracey though since he was a 23 year old in high A and was good but not unbelievable. I'd move Baj down and possibly off the list also just because he's a minor league reliever and didn't pitch a ton of innings as a result. Also, Spidale probably figures in about six on my list. Phillips probably rounds it off over Baj. Again though, not a particularly strong list especially towards the end.

.252/.316/.343 for Seattle in 2005

23 for 58 with 4 2Bs, 7 BBs, and 3 SBs for Seattle in 2004

.305/.366/.455 with 13 SB in 15 Attempts at AAA Tacoma in 2004