White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-07-2004, 10:50 AM
gosox41 gosox41 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,027
Default Semi-deep thought

Don't know if this was brought up or not. But I was at Sunday's Sox game. Does anyone else find it ironic that Jerry Reinsdorf was sponsoring 'Union Day' at the ballpark?

Anything to sell tickets.

On the flip side, the unions accepted the tickets. I'm not a union guy, but would their be some bad feelings on both sides due to the fact that JR has tried to break the MLBPA? I thought they pretty much all stick together. Shouldn't the unions have told Jerry where to shove it?


Bob
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-07-2004, 10:53 AM
Randar68 Randar68 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosox41
Don't know if this was brought up or not. But I was at Sunday's Sox game. Does anyone else find it ironic that Jerry Reinsdorf was sponsoring 'Union Day' at the ballpark?

Anything to sell tickets.

On the flip side, the unions accepted the tickets. I'm not a union guy, but would their be some bad feelings on both sides due to the fact that JR has tried to break the MLBPA? I thought they pretty much all stick together. Shouldn't the unions have told Jerry where to shove it?
That's a "semi-deep thought?"

oh my.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-07-2004, 10:59 AM
Jerko Jerko is offline
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 10,583
Default

I was there. The first time the umpire yelled "strike", everybody left.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-07-2004, 11:15 AM
Tekijawa's Avatar
Tekijawa Tekijawa is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: North Mayfair/Chicago
Posts: 6,844
Default

I heard only union memebers were allowed to go. All Union Reps were given tickets to a game in Charlotte.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-07-2004, 12:56 PM
thepaulbowski thepaulbowski is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: McKinley Park
Posts: 2,568
Default

Didn't the Sox give tickets to all the union workers who worked on the renovations? I thought he despised every one who worked for or was involved with the union.
__________________
Everybody has the will to win, but few people have the will to prepare to win.

Robert M. Knight
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-07-2004, 01:27 PM
Soxzilla Soxzilla is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Aurora
Posts: 1,785
Default

I'm in a union, and ***, i didnt get tickets :(
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-07-2004, 01:34 PM
Dub25 Dub25 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Homewood, IL
Posts: 2,048
Default

Was it union day? I thought it was Teamster day. Anyway, I went because my dad is a teamster. For 15 Bucks I got a lower deck box seat(SEC 112) 15 dollars in Comiskey Cash and a free parking pass. I thought it was a great deal.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-08-2004, 09:14 AM
gosox41 gosox41 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,027
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub25
Was it union day? I thought it was Teamster day. Anyway, I went because my dad is a teamster. For 15 Bucks I got a lower deck box seat(SEC 112) 15 dollars in Comiskey Cash and a free parking pass. I thought it was a great deal.
Maybe it was. Before the game they had many different union emblems on the scoreboard.

I don't know much about unions. Just out of curiosity, does it bother you that a guy who has spend the last 24 years fighting with unions all of the sudden wants you in his ballpark? Is there that kind of loyalty among unions?


Bob
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-08-2004, 09:50 AM
thepaulbowski thepaulbowski is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: McKinley Park
Posts: 2,568
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosox41
Maybe it was. Before the game they had many different union emblems on the scoreboard.

I don't know much about unions. Just out of curiosity, does it bother you that a guy who has spend the last 24 years fighting with unions all of the sudden wants you in his ballpark? Is there that kind of loyalty among unions?


Bob
Comparing the MLBPA to the Teamsters (or any union) is like comparing apples & oranges.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-08-2004, 10:15 AM
gosox41 gosox41 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,027
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepaulbowski
Comparing the MLBPA to the Teamsters (or any union) is like comparing apples & oranges.
True. I just wanted to see if there was some sort of 'Us against Them' attitude. Union workers were quick to point out that Frank used non-union labor to build his house while support his own baseball union. If it's like comparing apples to oranges, why get so upset and bring up the contradiction?


Bob
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-08-2004, 10:28 AM
Rex Hudler Rex Hudler is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 872
Default

Didn't someone just mention that they used union labor on the renovations?? I understand what you are getting at, I just don't think things are that black and white. I am sure it was a group purchase deal and the unions were simply offering entertainment to its members. It's not like all union members have stopped coming to games........ then again, maybe that's why we don't avg. 30k a game. lol
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-08-2004, 11:27 AM
HITMEN OF 77 HITMEN OF 77 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: THE "ATOMIC CITY" RICHLAND, WA
Posts: 2,726
Default

I thought that was a good idea by JR. One of the better one's he's had in the past 20 years. What's wrong wth having a special day for people?
__________________
ANGRY
YOUNG
MEN
SOX
TV 32
Sponsored by MEISTER BRAU Beer
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-08-2004, 11:33 AM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 31,581
Blog Entries: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosox41
Union workers were quick to point out that Frank used non-union labor to build his house while support his own baseball union. If
Frank's general contractor hired all of the non-union subs. Frank had nothing to do with it and only knew after the fact.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.