Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2004, 10:50 AM
WSI High Priest

Default Semi-deep thought

Don't know if this was brought up or not. But I was at Sunday's Sox game. Does anyone else find it ironic that Jerry Reinsdorf was sponsoring 'Union Day' at the ballpark?

Anything to sell tickets.

On the flip side, the unions accepted the tickets. I'm not a union guy, but would their be some bad feelings on both sides due to the fact that JR has tried to break the MLBPA? I thought they pretty much all stick together. Shouldn't the unions have told Jerry where to shove it?

Bob
Old 09-07-2004, 10:53 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosox41
Don't know if this was brought up or not. But I was at Sunday's Sox game. Does anyone else find it ironic that Jerry Reinsdorf was sponsoring 'Union Day' at the ballpark?

Anything to sell tickets.

On the flip side, the unions accepted the tickets. I'm not a union guy, but would their be some bad feelings on both sides due to the fact that JR has tried to break the MLBPA? I thought they pretty much all stick together. Shouldn't the unions have told Jerry where to shove it?
That's a "semi-deep thought?"

oh my.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:59 AM
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion

I was there. The first time the umpire yelled "strike", everybody left.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:15 AM
WSI High Priest

I heard only union memebers were allowed to go. All Union Reps were given tickets to a game in Charlotte.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Didn't the Sox give tickets to all the union workers who worked on the renovations? I thought he despised every one who worked for or was involved with the union.

Robert M. Knight
Old 09-07-2004, 01:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm in a union, and ***, i didnt get tickets :(
Old 09-07-2004, 01:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Was it union day? I thought it was Teamster day. Anyway, I went because my dad is a teamster. For 15 Bucks I got a lower deck box seat(SEC 112) 15 dollars in Comiskey Cash and a free parking pass. I thought it was a great deal.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:14 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub25
Was it union day? I thought it was Teamster day. Anyway, I went because my dad is a teamster. For 15 Bucks I got a lower deck box seat(SEC 112) 15 dollars in Comiskey Cash and a free parking pass. I thought it was a great deal.
Maybe it was. Before the game they had many different union emblems on the scoreboard.

I don't know much about unions. Just out of curiosity, does it bother you that a guy who has spend the last 24 years fighting with unions all of the sudden wants you in his ballpark? Is there that kind of loyalty among unions?

Bob
Old 09-08-2004, 09:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Maybe it was. Before the game they had many different union emblems on the scoreboard.

I don't know much about unions. Just out of curiosity, does it bother you that a guy who has spend the last 24 years fighting with unions all of the sudden wants you in his ballpark? Is there that kind of loyalty among unions?

Bob
Comparing the MLBPA to the Teamsters (or any union) is like comparing apples & oranges.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:15 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepaulbowski
Comparing the MLBPA to the Teamsters (or any union) is like comparing apples & oranges.
True. I just wanted to see if there was some sort of 'Us against Them' attitude. Union workers were quick to point out that Frank used non-union labor to build his house while support his own baseball union. If it's like comparing apples to oranges, why get so upset and bring up the contradiction?

Bob
Old 09-08-2004, 10:28 AM
WSI Personality

Didn't someone just mention that they used union labor on the renovations?? I understand what you are getting at, I just don't think things are that black and white. I am sure it was a group purchase deal and the unions were simply offering entertainment to its members. It's not like all union members have stopped coming to games........ then again, maybe that's why we don't avg. 30k a game. lol
Old 09-08-2004, 11:27 AM
WSI Church Elder

I thought that was a good idea by JR. One of the better one's he's had in the past 20 years. What's wrong wth having a special day for people?
SOX
TV 32
Sponsored by MEISTER BRAU Beer
Old 09-08-2004, 11:33 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Union workers were quick to point out that Frank used non-union labor to build his house while support his own baseball union. If
Frank's general contractor hired all of the non-union subs. Frank had nothing to do with it and only knew after the fact.