White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2004, 08:02 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Tidbit of news on Honel's arm.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southt...pro/051sd4.htm

Honel update

Former Providence Catholic High School pitcher Kris Honel has returned to using his old delivery in a rehab assignment at Class A Bristol.

After a successful minor league debut, Honel changed his mechanics last winter, but the result was a dead arm and a loss of velocity on his fastball. Honel was cleared to pitch after a series of medical tests revealed no arm problems.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:16 AM
WSI Church Elder

I would like to know who in the White Sox system advised Honel to change his delivery in the first place.
Old 09-05-2004, 12:23 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hose
I would like to know who in the White Sox system advised Honel to change his delivery in the first place.

"Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time."
Old 09-05-2004, 01:01 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hose
He would occasionally tip pitches in HS, I would guess that this was an attempt to correct this.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Sox Coaching: We will make changes just to make changes.

Freddie, how are you getting guys out?

"throwing a bunch of bull****."
Old 09-05-2004, 10:26 PM
WSI Personality

I wouldn't put too much stock in this...... He has been changing his mechanics almost daily trying to find himself all year. Mechanical adjustments and getting his head straight will be what helps him. Right now he is so confused by getting advice from everyone that he needs an offseason away from everyone to help get his **** straight.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:08 AM
WSI Church Elder

We run a farm system built on the idea of drafting raw, unsuccessful (often college) pitchers and refining their mechanics. It shouldn't suprise anyone that we're making a lot of alterations with the way guys throw.

.252/.316/.343 for Seattle in 2005

23 for 58 with 4 2Bs, 7 BBs, and 3 SBs for Seattle in 2004

.305/.366/.455 with 13 SB in 15 Attempts at AAA Tacoma in 2004
Old 09-07-2004, 11:15 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyb1
We run a farm system built on the idea of drafting raw, unsuccessful (often college) pitchers and refining their mechanics. It shouldn't suprise anyone that we're making a lot of alterations with the way guys throw.
Yet they were changing the mechanics of an advanced HS draftee with good control?

Yeah, don't let facts get in the way, jeremy. What's your sample-size?
Old 09-07-2004, 12:04 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Dead on Jeremy.

If you are an unsuccessful college pitcher fear not there's a good chance you'll be drafted in the 2nd round by the Sox based on Shaffer "spotting" a flaw in your delivery. He'll turn you over to Kirk Champion and you're well on your way to being a flop who won't get out of Birmingham. For your troubles you'll have in excess of $500,000 in your pocket.

It tells you all you need to know about this bunch that they continue to search for the next Danny Wright.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wealz
Dead on Jeremy.

If you are an unsuccessful college pitcher fear not there's a good chance you'll be drafted in the 2nd round by the Sox based on Shaffer "spotting" a flaw in your delivery. He'll turn you over to Kirk Champion and you're well on your way to being a flop who won't get out of Birmingham. For your troubles you'll have in excess of $500,000 in your pocket.

It tells you all you need to know about this bunch that they continue to search for the next Danny Wright.

moron.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
From the latest BA chat:

Q: Jeff from Los Altos, CA asks:
What do you make of Brad Sullivan? After a slow start this year with him changing his mechanics, he shows flashes of his old self (7k's, no walks his last start) but he's been very inconsistant. What do you make of his development and progress this year?

A: John Manuel: He has been inconsistent. It appears he's trying really hard to learn to pitch off his fastball, no matter how hard he gets hit sometimes, and he's had to learn the hard way. I recall in college an opposing coach told me Brad threw about 130 pitches against them, and maybe 70 were breaking balls. This from a guy who threw 90-94 and was almost like a college Roy Oswalt. The A's way of thinking is to have him regain velocity (lost to over-use and use at 2b1b as a college junior, when Brad really went to the wall for his Houston team by playing both ways) by throwing the fastball and changeup almost exclusively. Then, when he masters command of those two pitches, re-introduce the wicked breaking stuff and hope it's still sharp. If you can't tell, I'm rooting for Brad, a great college player and great guy.

Even the high and mighty A's change the mechanics of pitchers, successful or not. Get over it people, you're really getting silly.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:31 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Even the high and mighty A's change the mechanics of pitchers, successful or not. Get over it people, you're really getting silly.
Nothing sillier than your consistent defense of one of the worst farm systems in baseball today. Is there anything you think the Sox should change about the way they draft and develop players?
Old 09-07-2004, 02:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wealz
Nothing sillier than your consistent defense of one of the worst farm systems in baseball today. Is there anything you think the Sox should change about the way they draft and develop players?
Yes. I'm not going to rehash it over and over and over like a 5-year old having a tantrum about their sibling taking their Tonka Truck. They do this for a living, and will keep/lose their job based on their success. GET OVER IT. "Billy Beane theory" isn't the only way to go about things, no matter what Lewis tells the uninformed majority.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxxoS
Sox Coaching: We will make changes just to make changes.
Ha. So true. So very true. "Hey, lets put Valdez at second where he never plays and Uribe at short, even though Uribe has played second quite a bit this year."
Old 09-08-2004, 01:24 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Yet they were changing the mechanics of an advanced HS draftee with good control?

Yeah, don't let facts get in the way, jeremy. What's your sample-size?
You're right to call me on comparing Honel to guys like Wright and Allen if that's how it came off Randar. That wasn't my intent though. I think it's clear that our organization emphasizes using instruction to make guys good pitchers as opposed to drafting the best pitchers and I personally disagree pretty strongly.

Last edited by jeremyb1; 09-08-2004 at 01:39 AM.