White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2004, 09:23 AM
WSI Guru

Default *Official* NL Wild Card Watch

As of August 30, Crybaby scrubs are tied for the lead with the Padres and Giants. Look who's catching up, though! The Marlins and Astros are both only 4 games out. We've got a 5-team race.

Go Padres.
Go Giants.
Go Marlins.
Go Astros.

Unfortunately the Giants and Padres are going to beat each other up a bit down the stretch.

2014 Attendance Record: 3-4, 0.429
Old 08-30-2004, 09:25 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26
As of August 30, Crybaby scrubs are tied for the lead with the Padres and Giants. Look who's catching up, though! The Marlins and Astros are both only 4 games out. We've got a 5-team race.

Go Padres.
Go Giants.
Go Marlins.
Go Astros.

Unfortunately the Giants and Padres are going to beat each other up a bit down the stretch.
While I agree that they may beat each other up in the last two weeks, the fact that the Giants have 15 straight games against Arizona, Colorado and then Milwaukee has me pretty optimistic.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:51 AM
Banned

I think San Diego and Houston have quite a few games left against the Cards, so let's hope the St. Louis has decided to rest some guys. They're on pace to win 111 games, and they would basically have to go undefeated to get the all-time wins record, so I think there's a good chance they will rest some guys. Plus, I'm sure the Cards would have no problem doing what they can to keep the Crybabies out of the postseason.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:58 AM
WSI Church Elder

I'm riding the Giants, they know how to win down the stretch.

Wouldn't it be something if Houston caught fire in September and took the Wild Card after everyone wrote them off as dead?
Old 08-30-2004, 10:00 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by fledgedrallycap
I'm riding the Giants, they know how to win down the stretch.

Wouldn't it be something if Houston caught fire in September and took the Wild Card after everyone wrote them off as dead?
I don't think the Stros have enough arms (other than Oswalt & Clemens), but there's a lot of hate between them and the Cubs.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:04 AM
WSI Church Elder

Go 'Stros Go,Go 'Stros go,
C'mon Houston,whaddya say
the sCrUBS are gonna choke today.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:22 AM
WSI Guru

Call me crazy, but I think Florida has a great shot at this thing. They have six games left with the Cubs, hopefully, they'll capitalize on that. They have much stronger pitching, both in the rotation and the bullpen, than SF or Houston. Plus, they have the experience of having been in this position last year. As for SD, the only thing holding them back in the mental block they have about playing at Petco Park. Put them on the road, and they are a juggernaut. For some reason, they just can't win at home.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98
Call me crazy, but I think Florida has a great shot at this thing. They have six games left with the Cubs, hopefully, they'll capitalize on that. They have much stronger pitching, both in the rotation and the bullpen, than SF or Houston. Plus, they have the experience of having been in this position last year. As for SD, the only thing holding them back in the mental block they have about playing at Petco Park. Put them on the road, and they are a juggernaut. For some reason, they just can't win at home.
Well, they're .500 there, so it's not a complete disaster zone for them, and they have played better there lately as they've adjusted their style to take advantage of the gaps. The problem is the Cubs have the easiest schedule left- other than six against Florida, the only solid team they play is Atlanta, who may or may not be interested in the last series of the season. The Giants and Padres play each other six more times, and the Dodgers six more times. The Giants also play Houston, and San Diego is playing St. Louis six times in the next 10 days. The Marlins are lucky in that they play the Cubs and the Phils, who they have dominated, a bunch. Hopefully, they or the Padres can pull it off.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:34 PM
WSI Personality

Any team that can pass the Scrubs is OK with me. My prediction- San Francisco
Old 08-30-2004, 02:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Remember when the scrubs took 4 of 5 from the Cards last year? Everyone seemed to think that what propelled them into the playoffs, never mind the Astros choke job against the Brewers. Anyway, with the stros taking 3 of 4 in another emotioal series with the flubs could this be what gets them finally going?
Old 08-30-2004, 03:04 PM
WSI High Priest

The Giants pissed away an opportunity today. Braves score two in the ninth to win 7-6.

Damn.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:05 PM
WSI Personality

I've got to root for the Padres, I've got Jake Peavy in my fantasy league and he's been lights out for the last month or so, they also have a "Reggie Cleveland All-Star" in Khalil Greene. Lots of good karma flowing San Diego's way.

"That was the plan no matter what. Because I had Kearns and 'MaTola,' whatever his name is, the first baseman, the fat guy, I don't know what ****ing name is - LaPorta - on the bench and I didn't want them to face Matt."
Old 08-30-2004, 03:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHISOXFAN13
The Giants pissed away an opportunity today. Braves score two in the ninth to win 7-6.

Damn.
The Giants' bullpen may end up killing them. They would probably kill to have Felix Rodriguez back now, and certainly to have Nenn back.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HebrewHammer
I've got to root for the Padres, I've got Jake Peavy in my fantasy league and he's been lights out for the last month or so, they also have a "Reggie Cleveland All-Star" in Khalil Greene. Lots of good karma flowing San Diego's way.
I had guy give me 50-1 odds that Peavy would win the Cy Young this year. Had he not been hampered with injuries, I may have been $500 richer. Oh well.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:17 PM
Parking Lot Attendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98
I won't call you crazy. I've been preaching for a few weeks that the Marlins might just be the best team in this race. Carl Pavano has been great all year long. Willis and Burnett are coming around. If Beckett can stay healthy, and Valdez can be half way decent, their pitching is better than any team in the race not named the Cubs. Their bullpen has gone from being a weakness to a strength. Benitez has been lights out all year long. The addition of Mota was huge for them as they now have someone to pitch the 8th inning. Koch has been much better for them than he ever was for us. Even Rudy Seanez has been decent since joining them. They still play solid defense. The addition of Lo Duca has given them a catcher who can hit. If Castillo gets hot with Pierre, that lineup has the ability to be pretty good. They are experienced. They play solid, fundamental baseball. I really wouldn't be surprised to see them take the Wild Card again and hell, once in the playoffs, I could see them repeating. Of course a lot of this depends on the health and effectiveness of Josh Beckett.