White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2004, 02:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Default If Texas wants Jon Garland

If Texas is interested in Jon Garland, what prospects have they talked about giving us? If the name John Hudgins is thrown out there, I say we have to do it. Hudgins would be another guy that we could really hang our hat on, a la Brandon McCarthy. He would really bolster our farm, although I think John Hart would be crucified if he made this deal. Maybe Erik Thompson or Kameron Loe could be made the centerpiece of the deal?

Last edited by Mohoney; 08-29-2004 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:24 PM
WSI Personality

Is there reported interest or are you just speculating??
Old 08-29-2004, 07:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Hudler
Is there reported interest or are you just speculating??
This is all speculation. One of the Ft. Worth papers mentioned that Jon Garland has cleared waivers and can be dealt.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney
This is all speculation. One of the Ft. Worth papers mentioned that Jon Garland has cleared waivers and can be dealt.
So do probably 50% of most team's players. BFD.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:08 PM
Banned

jon garland could have been dealt to tx w/o clearing wavers if i'mnot mistaken
Old 08-29-2004, 11:29 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by fquaye149
jon garland could have been dealt to tx w/o clearing wavers if i'mnot mistaken
Not after July 31, he could not have........
Old 08-30-2004, 12:57 AM
WSI High Priest

do they have any magic beans to trade for garland...kidney, green, pinto...doesn't matter. garland will be a career 5 starter at most for us
Old 08-30-2004, 04:09 AM
New At WSI

Default The Case For Trading Garland

The team's unfocused and heartless play the last week has rendered moot the question of whether the Sox could manage and sustain an improbable charge at the Twins. Our attention must consequently turn to the 2005 season, as industrious GM Ken Williams faces the most difficult off-season of his tenure. While Williams approved foolish gambles early on, the team has benefited from his stewardship, as major needs have been met near the trade deadline for two consecutive seasons. The players have failed to deliver both individually and as a team, although Jon Garland seems unusually adept at being a miserable pitcher and teammate. After pitching terribly in an outing several weeks ago, Garland failed to accept responsibility for his ineffectiveness and suggested teammate Paul Konerko's error cost him the game. His reaction is unsurprising, as his behavior is that of an egocentric malcontent who is quite obviously incapable of pitching well for a meaningful stretch in the major leagues.

The Sox should trade Garland, and the sooner the better. If a waiver deal is possibly at this late hour, the Sox would be wise to make almost any deal that would bring young, inexpensive talent. The team could then look at Buehrle and Garcia as legitimate top of the rotation talent, acknowledge that Jose Contreras is a quality fourth starter who has no business pitching third in the rotation. Williams could then obtain another quality starter to pitch third, do a better job of providing a chance to win from the fifth slot, and remodel the offense in the hope of increasing team speed and hitter versatility. The offense would feature Carlos Lee and Frank Thomas, and the steadily improving Aaron Rowand could lead a core of overachieving "grinders." Strong relief pitching would be vital, but a team built this way could challenge for a pennant under the right circumstances. It seems a fact of recent baseball history that the easiest way to field a competitive team with limited financial resources is through strong pitching. Jon Garland has worn out his welcome on the South Side, and his trade could bring more young talent while freeing up some of the dollars to bring in another dependable arm.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzag
The team's unfocused and heartless play the last week has rendered moot the question of whether the Sox could manage and sustain an improbable charge at the Twins. Our attention must consequently turn to the 2005 season, as industrious GM Ken Williams faces the most difficult off-season of his tenure. While Williams approved foolish gambles early on, the team has benefited from his stewardship, as major needs have been met near the trade deadline for two consecutive seasons. The players have failed to deliver both individually and as a team, although Jon Garland seems unusually adept at being a miserable pitcher and teammate. After pitching terribly in an outing several weeks ago, Garland failed to accept responsibility for his ineffectiveness and suggested teammate Paul Konerko's error cost him the game. His reaction is unsurprising, as his behavior is that of an egocentric malcontent who is quite obviously incapable of pitching well for a meaningful stretch in the major leagues.

The Sox should trade Garland, and the sooner the better. If a waiver deal is possibly at this late hour, the Sox would be wise to make almost any deal that would bring young, inexpensive talent. The team could then look at Buehrle and Garcia as legitimate top of the rotation talent, acknowledge that Jose Contreras is a quality fourth starter who has no business pitching third in the rotation. Williams could then obtain another quality starter to pitch third, do a better job of providing a chance to win from the fifth slot, and remodel the offense in the hope of increasing team speed and hitter versatility. The offense would feature Carlos Lee and Frank Thomas, and the steadily improving Aaron Rowand could lead a core of overachieving "grinders." Strong relief pitching would be vital, but a team built this way could challenge for a pennant under the right circumstances. It seems a fact of recent baseball history that the easiest way to field a competitive team with limited financial resources is through strong pitching. Jon Garland has worn out his welcome on the South Side, and his trade could bring more young talent while freeing up some of the dollars to bring in another dependable arm.
yep
Old 08-30-2004, 04:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Hudler
Not after July 31, he could not have........
i was under the impression that that is the interleague trading deadline. am i an idiot?
Old 08-30-2004, 04:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
i was under the impression that that is the interleague trading deadline. am i an idiot?
An interleague trading deadline?
Old 08-30-2004, 09:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo=dorf
An interleague trading deadline?
haha, i'll take that as a yes.

i thought the rule is trades that go between the leagues had to be done before 7/31 or else clear waivers.

i was under the impression that al/al trades were kosher all year.

mybad
Old 08-30-2004, 10:56 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
haha, i'll take that as a yes.

i thought the rule is trades that go between the leagues had to be done before 7/31 or else clear waivers.

i was under the impression that al/al trades were kosher all year.

mybad
Not an idiot........ just slightly misguided.