White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2004, 01:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Default BA releases initial Arizona Fall League Rosters...

McCarthy, Rogowski, Anderson, Gonzalez, Bajenaru and Ulacia are on the initial Mesa Solar Sox roster:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...flrosters.html
Old 08-18-2004, 01:46 PM
WSI High Priest

With McCarthy and Anderson on the roster this year, it should be more interesting to watch the AFL this year than last year.
First Pennant in 46 years CHECK
First World Series in 88 years CHECK
Old 08-18-2004, 01:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRKARNO
With McCarthy and Anderson on the roster this year, it should be more interesting to watch the AFL this year than last year.
The Sox are sending better talent than they have in years.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:06 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
The Sox are sending better talent than they have in years.
No kidding. It's not a complete stretch to imagine every one of those guys appearing in the majors and a couple of them could have pretty nice careers.

This is why I keep saying, in spite of trades where KW has surrendered a lot of talent, our farm system is not in that bad of a shape. Not great, but the sky is not falling either.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox
No kidding. It's not a complete stretch to imagine every one of those guys appearing in the majors and a couple of them could have pretty nice careers.

This is why I keep saying, in spite of trades where KW has surrendered a lot of talent, our farm system is not in that bad of a shape. Not great, but the sky is not falling either.
In spite of all the trades and all the crying from some fans about the farm system, there are 4 of their 6 teams with a chance to make the playoffs, with a couple of them in the driver's seat. Great Falls, W-S, Birmingham, and Charlotte all have chances to get in, with W-S, Birmingham and Great Falls the best bets. I agree, outside of Ulacia, the other 5 could be on MLB rosters in 2 years or less. I'm a tad surprised they aren't sending Sweeney instead of Rogo, but maybe they're rewarding him for a great season and being stuck in W-S all year w/o a promotion.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:47 PM
WSI Personality

wonder why honel isnt on them? doesnt he need work with all of his injuries and everything?
Old 08-18-2004, 03:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by habibharu
wonder why honel isnt on them? doesnt he need work with all of his injuries and everything?
Didn't you just answer your own question?
Old 08-18-2004, 03:50 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
I'm a tad surprised they aren't sending Sweeney instead of Rogo, but maybe they're rewarding him for a great season and being stuck in W-S all year w/o a promotion.
Or maybe they are showcasing him for a trade, like they did with Valenzuela a couple years ago.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:00 PM
WSI Personality

A good friend from back in college is the head baseball coach down at Dunedin HS in Florida, which produced Brian Dopirak, a 1B prospect for the cubs, also playing for the Solar Sox. This kid is a monster. A year later, Ryan Harvey, another Dunedin HS product, was chosen in the first round by the cubs as well. Poor kids. Kinda neat seeing these guys playing back then.

Old 08-18-2004, 04:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver
Or maybe they are showcasing him for a trade, like they did with Valenzuela a couple years ago.
Maybe, but I think it would be more common for them to try that with a guy in AA or new to AAA just to hope they put up big numbers and entice some bites. I find it harder to believe they'd be expecting that from a guy who sat out 2 years with injuries then was playing in W-S all year.

Stranger things have happenned (*Note: Valenzuela never ended up being traded!)
Old 08-19-2004, 02:34 AM
WSI Personality

I'm not high on Ulacia at all....... haven't seen Rogo yet but I am intrigued. The others I do believe have legit shots to make some kind of contribution. Andy G. needs to repeat AA next year. He is overmatched right now, but I defintely see potential.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:46 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Hudler
I'm not high on Ulacia at all....... haven't seen Rogo yet but I am intrigued. The others I do believe have legit shots to make some kind of contribution. Andy G. needs to repeat AA next year. He is overmatched right now, but I defintely see potential.
Remember, Gonzalez played his first few games this year in Kannapolis and then W-S where he struggled there (although he showed a ton of plate patience, too much IMO, out of nowhere), and now in Birmingham. IMO, both Valido and Lopez are better SS's defensively, hands down. I imagine you may actually see Valido in W-S, and Lopez, Gonzalez, Fields, and Rogowski in AA next year. That's a ton of IF turnover! Add in Sweeney and maybe Brice as well, Tracey in the rotation...

Going to be a whole new team there for you to watch, Rex.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:32 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Remember, Gonzalez played his first few games this year in Kannapolis and then W-S where he struggled there (although he showed a ton of plate patience, too much IMO, out of nowhere), and now in Birmingham. IMO, both Valido and Lopez are better SS's defensively, hands down. I imagine you may actually see Valido in W-S, and Lopez, Gonzalez, Fields, and Rogowski in AA next year. That's a ton of IF turnover! Add in Sweeney and maybe Brice as well, Tracey in the rotation...

Going to be a whole new team there for you to watch, Rex.
Could be a very interesting team here next year. I just hope that there is some pitching.

I don't know if you saw this or not because I didn't post it on here, but I recently talked to a veteran scout that covers the southeast a Major League team (not Sox). I quizzed him about some of the Sox guys he had seen in Winston and Kannapolis.

He said that he had all three SS (Gonzalez, Valido and Lopez) rated as potential Major Leaguers. If I recall correctly, I think he felt like Valido would eventually hit and would be the best of the bunch, but said they could all play.

He liked McCarthy and Sweeney a lot too. He felt Sweeney would be better long term than Anderson, even though he liked Anderson. He felt that Anderson would end up being a corner OF and that Sweeney being LH and having a great arm gave him a slight edge over Anderson.

I didn't have time to ask him about guys like Brice and Rogo and he had only seen Fields once, so he didn't offer a lot about him.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:30 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver

"uh...That's why we have minor leagues team,right?"

White Sox baseball: 25 men, 11 wins, 1 trophy
Old 08-21-2004, 08:53 PM
WSI Regular

Rogo is amazing at 1st base. He is a big man and has lots of power , but can do a split to get an out. His speed is improving, but his ba has dropped a few points over the last few weeks. Tom Brice is playing in Athens and we are missing an outfielder, Rogo has been playing there at times. He may just need a day off.