White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2004, 04:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Question for the Scouts.

1.) How do you become a scout?

2.)Is there training involved?

3.) I know that there is probably a large ammount of traveling involved. What kind of teritories do you guys work couple states or a certain radius from x?

4.) I'm guessing that this is more for a "love of the game" type salary or do you get a certain cut of the players contract?

5.) where do I sign up?
Old 08-13-2004, 08:39 AM
WSI Personality

1.) Hang around the ballparks, particularly high school, college and minor leagues and don't be shy to talk to the scouts that are there. Ask questions about how they got into scouting.

2.) As for training, know the 5 tools and the grading scale scouts use to identify a players talent. Good judgement is also a key. Big league clubs are not just looking for bodies to fill out a minor league roster, they are looking for future major leaguers.

3.) Regional scouts cover a territory that may include 1,2 or even 3 states, but some will only cover part of a certain state, like Florida or Texas, places where prospects are heavily recruited and the competition is greater. National crosscheckers on the other hand will get a recommendation from a regional scout and cover a wider range of territory. These regional scouts will say they really like a guy and get a second opinion, so to speak, from the national crosscheckers.

4.) You will not get rich becoming a scout. I would say most scouts might start out around $30,000-$35,000 and may get bonuses based on the prospects they are able to get. They may get mileage, per diem (meals) on the road, reimbursement for staying in a hotel with a set limit on what you can spend and for expenses such as long distance bills, postage, etc.

5.) Ask the scouts you talk to at the games what it would take to become an associate scout, which is a recommending scout, then see where that takes you. If you recommend a few guys who turn out to be something special, you'll develop a trust and may get a recommendation to someone higher up. If all else fails, write to each club, get their addresses from either the Baseball America Directory or just go online to MajorLeagueBaseball.Com, look up the teams addresses and write to their Director of Scouting or General Managers. I'm sure you'll get some sort of reply either way. If you're a coach of a high school or colege team, talk with the scouts at the games and develop a friendship with them.

For the record, I am not a scout. I know several scouts back from college and my playing days. I've been told that at times, it's not all it's cracked up to be. You realy need to love the game as it is a lot of time away from your family, many miles on the road and very thank-less. Hope this helps.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:53 AM
WSI High Priest

Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for!

Looks like I'll just look to start conversations with the guys with the Radar guns!

And if by "A thankless job" you mean Bringing in Millions of dollars for a company, sitting at a desk staring at a computer and only your boss knows your name... I already have one of those... not to mention that it seriously cuts into my baseball watching time. Probably would never happen, but it would be worth at least a follow up and some little effort put into it!

Thanks again.