White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2004, 10:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm as big a proponent of relevant sample sizes as anyone and I'd ussually be skeptical about a player that dominantes high A ball after being simply solid at low A but the K/BB rates have always been there for McCarthy. I'm probably getting carried away but at the same time his performance has been ridiculous lately. This is pretty exciting.

.252/.316/.343 for Seattle in 2005

23 for 58 with 4 2Bs, 7 BBs, and 3 SBs for Seattle in 2004

.305/.366/.455 with 13 SB in 15 Attempts at AAA Tacoma in 2004
Old 08-11-2004, 11:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyb1
I'm as big a proponent of relevant sample sizes as anyone and I'd ussually be skeptical about a player that dominantes high A ball after being simply solid at low A but the K/BB rates have always been there for McCarthy. I'm probably getting carried away but at the same time his performance has been ridiculous lately. This is pretty exciting.
Yup. The thing that has to just out at anyone that looks at his stats is that K/BB ratio, which is absolutely amazing at every level he's pitched at. The only problem is that his HR rate isn't really all that great. It's not bad, but nothing special, but that K/BB rate more than makes up for it. It's also the K/9 rate that could make anyone excited. Control and velocity (sounds like he's already reaching 95 and could top out even higher) equal success in the major leagues.
First Pennant in 46 years CHECK
First World Series in 88 years CHECK
Old 08-12-2004, 12:17 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRKARNO
Yup. The thing that has to just out at anyone that looks at his stats is that K/BB ratio, which is absolutely amazing at every level he's pitched at. The only problem is that his HR rate isn't really all that great. It's not bad, but nothing special, but that K/BB rate more than makes up for it. It's also the K/9 rate that could make anyone excited. Control and velocity (sounds like he's already reaching 95 and could top out even higher) equal success in the major leagues.
Psst, you know what? Those figures describe Mark Prior's minor league numbers!
Old 08-12-2004, 12:22 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringfldFan
Psst, you know what? Those figures describe Mark Prior's minor league numbers!
He doesn't have (healthy) Prior's velocity or Prior's curveball.

But he has every bit as good a control as jesus. And before it's all said and done, he might not be far behind in the velocity and breaking ball department, either.

Plus, his change-up is a weapon Calfzilla doesn't have.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:32 PM
WSI High Priest

His cumulative stats at W-S are otherworldly:

6 Wins
0 Losses
2.08 ERA
52 Innings
31 Hits
60 K
3 BB

What kind of space alien produces a 20:1 K:BB ratio?!?
Old 08-13-2004, 01:40 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice
His cumulative stats at W-S are otherworldly:

6 Wins
0 Losses
2.08 ERA
52 Innings
31 Hits
60 K
3 BB

What kind of space alien produces a 20:1 K:BB ratio?!?
Even the ERA is great. And look at the WHIP.

I would agree that the peripheral stat K/BB ratio is most important when judging just how dominating a guy is at his current level, but this guy's bread and butter stats (ERA and WHIP) merit serious consideration for a promotion to AAA next year on their own merit. Throw in the fact that he has a K/BB ratio of 60/3, and HE HASN'T LOST A FREAKING GAME, and this kid has '06 starter written all over him if he can come close to this at AAA.

The fact that he's undefeated just makes me extra giddy for some reason.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:20 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I haven't seen him pitch, but based on what I have read and what his stats reflect, his HR numbers are a result of him going after hitters, being in the strike zone, and allowing the batters to swing. Sure they are going to hit a few HRs, but with those walk numbers, who cares?
Old 08-13-2004, 02:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney
Even the ERA is great. And look at the WHIP.

I would agree that the peripheral stat K/BB ratio is most important when judging just how dominating a guy is at his current level, but this guy's bread and butter stats (ERA and WHIP) merit serious consideration for a promotion to AAA next year on their own merit.
Well I wouldn't promote him based on his ERA for 6 starts in WS because his WHIP and his ERA in particular weren't spectacular. It's how strong his K/BB has been all along that is the most impressive. The only real concern as has been mentioned is his homeruns but he'll still be affective if he can keep dominating hitters and showing such strong control.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyb1
Well I wouldn't promote him based on his ERA for 6 starts in WS because his WHIP and his ERA in particular weren't spectacular. It's how strong his K/BB has been all along that is the most impressive. The only real concern as has been mentioned is his homeruns but he'll still be affective if he can keep dominating hitters and showing such strong control.
I think a lot of it depends on who's spot he would be taking, too. We don't seem to have a talent of his caliber at AAA right now, so maybe one of these guys can move over to give BMac a chance to really prove himself at the highest minor league level.

Maybe I'm rushing him by skipping AA, but he certainly seems to be the best farmhand we have. I think the guy can do it.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:14 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I don't think there's any question that he's ready to move up to the next level. To leave him in High-A for the rest of the year would be a waste of 2 months in my opinion. Let him go up to AA right now.

Any Chance he starts next year at AAA Charlotte?
After seeing him in hist start before this one, I said he could pitch in Chicago to start next year. Will it happen, probably not. But after watching Grilli and Kohlmeier in Charlotte, I have no doubts in my mind after a couple starts to adjust, he could be pitching very well in AAA right now.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:17 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney
I think a lot of it depends on who's spot he would be taking, too. We don't seem to have a talent of his caliber at AAA right now, so maybe one of these guys can move over to give BMac a chance to really prove himself at the highest minor league level.

Maybe I'm rushing him by skipping AA, but he certainly seems to be the best farmhand we have. I think the guy can do it.
Charlotte has no pitching. They have 4 starters after Diaz left, and many nights they are starting games with only 2 guys available out of the pen. Adam Larson is up there, straight from Kannapolis, and he won't miss many bats. Duncan is on the DL, Wunsch is only available about 1 or 2 times a week and is lucky to hit 85 right now. It isn't pretty. Charlotte has plenty of open roster spaces for anyone who wants to take them, but the Sox don't have anyone they feel is ready to pitch there. Honel and Wing getting hurt at the same time really limited their options for players ready to be promoted.

Jeremy, in response to your post:

Well, he's had 8 starts and f you put him in Birmingham tomorrow, he'd be their best starter by a long shot. He had 3 innings in Kannapolis where he was sick but the bullpen was cached and he took one for the team. If you take those 3 innings out, he'd have an ERA there at ~2.00 as well as those ridiculous peripheral numbers.

Someone else said he was regularly hitting 95, which just isn't true. He works from 91-93 generally with a cutter at about 88/89. I saw hit touch 94 and 95 only a handful of times, but that extra juice seems to be there when he needs it, can reach back and get a little extra. The hitters had no chance when I saw him pitch last.

Last edited by Randar68; 08-14-2004 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:26 PM
WSI Regular

This is probably old news, but the Winston-Salem Journal reported yesterday that McCarthy has been promoted to Birmingham. The Hogs have been on the road all week so he would have left from either Wilmington, DE or Frederick, MD.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:30 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_sox_fan
This is probably old news, but the Winston-Salem Journal reported yesterday that McCarthy has been promoted to Birmingham. The Hogs have been on the road all week so he would have left from either Wilmington, DE or Frederick, MD.
Yup, sure is. He will start in Birmingham Tuesday night. Wes Whisler was promoted to Winston-Salem to take his spot in the rotation.
Old 08-15-2004, 07:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Hudler
Yup, sure is. He will start in Birmingham Tuesday night. Wes Whisler was promoted to Winston-Salem to take his spot in the rotation.
Like I said I highly doubt bmac will get promoted to birmingham this year. I'm glad to see him get promoted, hopefully he can continue his domination of the minor leagues.

Last edited by OEO Magglio; 08-15-2004 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-15-2004, 07:40 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Hudler
Yes...that was also in the article. Whisler is also listed as a DH as well as a pitcher.