White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2004, 06:42 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver
All I have seen of Brandon is about a half hour of tape, which is not enough to draw any conclusions from. Offering an opinion based on a box score or a scouting report is a very diffucult thing to do.
No, I meant when it comes to how to improve Garland.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:28 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimm
No, I meant when it comes to how to improve Garland.
Can you really force someone to grow a set?

That is all that is lacking for him to take the next step, the confidence to go out every fifth day and feel he has the edge on the competition.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:32 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
That is all that is lacking for him to take the next step, the confidence to go out every fifth day and feel he has the edge on the competition.
So you see nothing wrong with his control/command/non-sinker repertoire?
Old 08-08-2004, 08:36 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
So you see nothing wrong with his control/command/non-sinker repertoire?
Command is tied to confidence, as is mound prescence. His control has always been decent, he can find the strike zone.

His mechanics do not mesh well with throwing a sinker, he could learn to throw a two seam cutter though.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:34 PM
WSI High Priest

You know for a fact Garland is going to prosper on another team. When he is 35, he isn't going to have these mental breakdowns he is having now.

Drafting a high schooler is such a crapshoot, obviously...But worst case scenario is a guy like Garland, b/c he has such good stuff, but it takes time to harness it...and it will most likely be with another team.

Freddie, how are you getting guys out?

"throwing a bunch of bull****."
Old 08-08-2004, 09:36 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxxoS
You know for a fact Garland is going to prosper on another team. When he is 35, he isn't going to have these mental breakdowns he is having now.

Drafting a high schooler is such a crapshoot, obviously...But worst case scenario is a guy like Garland, b/c he has such good stuff, but it takes time to harness it...and it will most likely be with another team.
Just ask the Expos, they gave up on Randy Johnson at 26, we all know the rest of the story.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Can you really force someone to grow a set?
Perfect summation. Plus, he's a cocky, arrogant turd on top of it! The guy sees absolutely nothing wrong with going 6 or 7 innings and giving up 4 or 5 runs. He thinks that those outings are solid enough to consistently win at the major league level.

Trade this guy in the offseason. I would just as soon see what Diaz and Stewart can do.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:35 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney
Trade this guy in the offseason. I would just as soon see what Diaz and Stewart can do.
Stewart is not a major league pitcher.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxxoS
I'll take that bet. If a career record of about 150-145 with a career ERA of about 4.50 is prospering, I sure as hell HOPE that he prospers somewhere else.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
But I thought stats told you everything you needed to know about the game.
Well, I've been searching for the thread for twenty minutes to quote and link it but I can't find it so if you disagree with my interpretation of the following posts, you'll have to inform me.

In a post a month or two back, I gave an opinion about a pitcher do which you made a similar comment saying "Really, have you ever seen [the player] pitch." I replied along the lines of "No, but I don't claim to be a scout. I'm doing my best of evaluting the situation from the performance perspective from which I'm situated. Since I'm not a scout I don't have the full picture just as I'd imagine you lack a complete picture without the ability to interpret statistics."

At the time I wondered why you failed to responed to the post Daver. Naviely I simply hoped you realized my point that we were on different yet equal footing and agreed with me. Since you've made another incindiary remark about how I think everything revolves around stats, would you care to respond to my earlier post?

.252/.316/.343 for Seattle in 2005

23 for 58 with 4 2Bs, 7 BBs, and 3 SBs for Seattle in 2004

.305/.366/.455 with 13 SB in 15 Attempts at AAA Tacoma in 2004
Old 08-08-2004, 11:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Stewart is not a major league pitcher.
As I've said before, neither is Garland. I'll bet Stewart could post a .500 record with an ERA of 4.50, and at a fraction of Garland's salary.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:03 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Command is tied to confidence, as is mound prescence. His control has always been decent, he can find the strike zone.

His mechanics do not mesh well with throwing a sinker, he could learn to throw a two seam cutter though.
I've felt for a long time that Garland's stuff was overrated. I laugh now thinking of when Farmer would compare him to Kevin Brown in his first couple years. He's sort of a 'tweener in that he doesn't possess enough velocity or good enough control to be a top-of-the rotation starter, imo.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:09 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney
As I've said before, neither is Garland. .
Huh? Garland is an average ML'er.

Quote:
I'll bet Stewart could post a .500 record with an ERA of 4.50, and at a fraction of Garland's salary
You're gonna lose the bet - he'd be lucky if his ERA broke under 6.00.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:12 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wealz
I've felt for a long time that Garland's stuff was overrated. I laugh now thinking of when Farmer would compare him to Kevin Brown in his first couple years. He's sort of a 'tweener in that he doesn't possess enough velocity or good enough control to be a top-of-the rotation starter, imo.
Amen. Comparisons to Brown are silly.

Judy ain't got Brown's fastball. She ain't got Brown's sinker. She ain't got Brown's breaking ball. She ain't got Brown's bulldog mentality.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:20 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Amen. Comparisons to Brown are silly.

Judy ain't got Brown's fastball. She ain't got Brown's sinker. She ain't got Brown's breaking ball. She ain't got Brown's bulldog mentality.
Yep, Brown was nasty even before he put it all together. Garland, OTOH, is imminently hittable.