White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2004, 08:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Saw McCarthy pitch tonight...

Jason Gage and the guys from futuresox.com set me up with press passes tonight for the Winston-Salem vs Frederick game, where Brandon McCarthy was pitching.

WOW. He gave up a lead-off double on a high fastball in the first inning, then went on to retire 18 straight hitters, then striking out the leadoff man in the 7th, only to see him reach first on what was ruled a WP (Wally Rosa took FOREVER to get to the ball and then double-clutched, allowing the runner to beat it out). That runner then stole 2nd base, and advanced to 3rd on a groundout, scoring on a SF for the only run scored off of him.

He only threw about 90 pitches in the 7 IP, w/ 8 K, 0 BB, 1 WP, 1 ER, picking up the W (5-0) in the 3-2 victory.

I'll be interviewing a few players to go up on that site in the coming days, but just wanted to pass along this info for those interested. Very impressed by more than just the results.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:14 PM
WSI High Priest

On a day in which the major league team looks like crap, this type of stuff is always good news. Sounds like BMac is the best pitching prospect in our system right now. Isn't W-S's park an extreme hitters park too?

What is he doing that makes him so good exactly? Does he know how to pitch well or is he blowing guys away (from what I've heard it's more the former than the latter)?
First Pennant in 46 years CHECK
First World Series in 88 years CHECK
Old 08-05-2004, 09:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRKARNO
On a day in which the major league team looks like crap, this type of stuff is always good news. Sounds like BMac is the best pitching prospect in our system right now. Isn't W-S's park an extreme hitters park too?

What is he doing that makes him so good exactly? Does he know how to pitch well or is he blowing guys away (from what I've heard it's more the former than the latter)?
Well, he has pinpoint control of his fastball, and is just learning to use his cutter. Very good command of his curve, too, and seems to be able to throw it for a strike just about whenever he wants to. He has a very fluid delivery and has good deception, which makes that 92 mph look a bit quicker. He was sitting around 91-93 most of the night, but I did see him hit 95 a couple times. He only used his change-up a few times, but he never pitches to the middle of the plate, and mixes his pitches very well. Backing up a 16-K game with an 8K, 1H, 0BB game is pretty damned impressive.

If he adds a consistent 2 mph to his fastball, he has top-of-the-rotation-starter written all over him. I saw him throw quite a few 91 mph fastballs by some decent prospects tonight.

In 7 IP, he only went to a full-count once, and only had about 85-90 pitches thrown (I had 81, but know a missed a handful)
Old 08-05-2004, 09:23 PM
WSI Personality

Great. With Honel's future murky, McCarthy appears to be the best chance we have to develop a frontline starter. I'd love it if you went into more detail, Randar, as to what impressed you about his stuff/command when you get the opportunity.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox
Great. With Honel's future murky, McCarthy appears to be the best chance we have to develop a frontline starter. I'd love it if you went into more detail, Randar, as to what impressed you about his stuff/command when you get the opportunity.
The whole package. He has some occassional nice movement on his fastball, although it's the location that's important. Very fluid mechanics and he hides the ball exceptionally well and it doesn't appear to the hitter until the last moment before release. Curve is a nice sharp 11-5 breaker, and if he can really develop that change-up, he's going to be a stud. I'm not 100% sure it was a cutter he was throwing, but he was at 91-93 all night, and had a few 89's that really tailed into the RH'ers, also picking up a terrific looking K on a lefty with it. I would swear it was a cutter, but I'll have to ask about that.

6'7" and although it has been reported that he's around 200 pounds, I'm not sure he'd weigh that much soaking wet in his uniform. If he adds 20 pounds and actually hits 95 mph consistently, oh my, it's already such an easy-cheese for him... There were quite a few ooh's and ahhh's from the crowd tonight. A few regulars I talked to thought he would maybe only get another start or 2 in W-S before beign promoted, he was so good, but I do think he'll stay there the rest of the year as they're being cautious.

Amazing polish for a kid that age at that level.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:31 PM
WSI Regular

People have no idea how good Brandon MaCarthy can be if he 1) avoids arm problems and 2) avoids Ankiel-esque meltdown

He already has what so many only dream of having: poise and pinpoint control. Everything starts and ends with that.

Then you add his low-90's (will be low-to-mid-90s before it's all said and done) fastball, a smooth curveball, improving cutter and, as per Cerberus-WG, a solid change-up.....Sky is the limit.

Sox don't have much depth in the minors, but with MaCarthy, Honel, Cotts, Gonzalez, Diaz, we are in pretty good shape. Knock on wood.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:32 PM
New At WSI

Any truth to the rumor that he's the PTBNL?
Old 08-05-2004, 10:38 PM
WSI Regular

Is that a real rumor about BMAC or are you just trolling?
Old 08-05-2004, 10:46 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSideRyan
If that's the case, KW should be fired on the spot. Check that, if he gave up Borchard he should be fired.

Robbie could help this team, but only if we give up someone like Yofu - not your premiere talent.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:16 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSideRyan
That's not what I heard. It's supposedly 2 of Anderson/Sweeny/Diaz. This team's future isn't looking so bright anymore.

Old 08-06-2004, 12:10 AM
WSI Personality

Thanks for the report, Randar. The kid sounds impressive. I can't wait to see him next spring in Tucson. And if the PTBNL has two arms and two legs, KW gave up to much.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:12 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Jason Gage and the guys from futuresox.com set me up with press passes tonight for the Winston-Salem vs Frederick game, where Brandon McCarthy was pitching.
Those FutureSox guys rock! Everyone needs to start reading that site! It's great for info on all, not just Sox, prospects, too! And, there's a pretty good article on the playoff hunt that 4 of the Sox' minor league teams are in. Here's the link to that:
Warthogs Win 10 in a Row, Find Themselves in First
Old 08-06-2004, 01:10 AM
WSI Personality

I can't really add anything to what randar reported on McCarthy, but I can echo his basic premise based on what a veteran scout told me two weeks ago.

He said he really McCarthy and that "the kid really knows how to pitch". He said he located well and knew how to work all four quandrants of the zone, working in and out and up and down. He said he rated him as a definite big league starter.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:35 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Very good command of his curve, too, and seems to be able to throw it for a strike just about whenever he wants to.
I really hope they give this guy a SERIOUS look in '06. Someone that throws something other than a fastball for strikes sounds like a dream come true after watching Dumb and Dumber out there these past 2 days in Kansas City.

Can this kid jump straight to AAA next year? If not, who else are we hanging our hat on that this kid can't be promoted?
Old 08-06-2004, 01:42 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney
Someone that throws something other than a fastball for strikes sounds like a dream come true after watching Dumb and Dumber out there these past 2 days in Kansas City.
So true.

Have you ever wondered why Garland, who tops out at 93-94 on his four-seamer and has a very good sinker, registers so few strike-outs?