White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2004, 09:02 PM
Banned

Default AAA and AA postseason?

This might be a dumb post, but since I know nothing of minor leagues, do they have playoffs and championships?? An if they do, have any of our teams ever won them?? I appreciate any responses.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:25 PM
MMXXIII

They do. Each league in AAA and AA has their own, independent post-season and championship series. I remember a few years back, they tried to introduce a AAA World Series but that failed miserably because A) no one wanted to watch it and B) by the time it rolled around, a lot of top talent had moved to the MLB because of roster expansions.

The Barons won the Southern League Championship in 2002, IIRC. It was very recently, when Miguel Olivo was their catcher.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 07-31-2004, 10:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23
They do. Each league in AAA and AA has their own, independent post-season and championship series. I remember a few years back, they tried to introduce a AAA World Series but that failed miserably because A) no one wanted to watch it and B) by the time it rolled around, a lot of top talent had moved to the MLB because of roster expansions.

The Barons won the Southern League Championship in 2002, IIRC. It was very recently, when Miguel Olivo was their catcher.
Correct and he was the mvp of the series.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:01 PM
WSI Personality

All of the leagues have playoffs...

The Appy League (Bristol - Rookie) has two divisions and I believe just has a best two-of-three series against the two division winners. Bristol is currently in last place, so I wouldn't worry about playoffs there.

The Pioneer League (Great Falls - Advanced Rookie) has a split season format, giving it two rounds of playoffs. The winners of each half of their division square off for the chance to face the other division champ for the league title. Great Falls did not win their division in the first half. The 2nd half is just 4 games old.

The South Atlantic (Low A), Carolina (High A) and Southern (AA) Leagues all have the same format as the Pioneer League - two divisions, split season. Both playoff series in the Southern League are best-of-5.
  • Kannapolis (South Atlantic) did not win their division in the first half and is currently in 2nd place in the second half with a 23-13 record, one game out of 1st place. The Sally League employs a best-of-three format for the divisional series and a best-of-five for the championship.
  • Winston-Salem (Carolina) finished last in their division in the first half, but has rebounded to lead the Southern Division by 2.5 games with a 23-12 record to this point.
  • Birmingham (Southern) is currently tied for 1st place with Huntsville in the Western Division at a 19-14 clip. They finished the first half in 3rd place at 35-34.
The International League (Charlotte - AAA) does not have a split season format. They have three divisions and one wild card team gets the 4th playoff spot. Charlotte is currently in 3rd place, 7.5 games out of first place in the South Division.

The Sox have had several winners recently..... Winston-Salem won the Carolina League Championship last year. Birmingham won the Southern League in 2002 as has been mentiond and I believe Bristol won the Appy League in 2002 as well.

Hope that helps....
Old 08-01-2004, 05:45 PM
Banned

thanks for the replies! well i'm glad some to see that some White Sox teams actually won a championship recently