White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-30-2004, 12:29 PM
Wealz Wealz is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 781
Default Yankees To Announce Plans For New Stadium

Looks like the Yankees want to build the new park across from Yankee Stadium. The plan calls for Yankee Stadium to be torn down.

http://www.wnbc.com/sports/3593738/detail.html
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-30-2004, 01:38 PM
SOXSINCE'70 SOXSINCE'70 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: DEERFIELD
Posts: 5,309
Post

Now comes the fun part:

From what I read in the "Cub-Une" this morning (7/30),the city admits the Yamkmees need a new infrastructure but the taxpayers WILL NOT pay for the construction of a new Yankmee Stadium.
__________________
White Sox Baseball - Turning teetotalers into alcoholics since 1901.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-30-2004, 01:45 PM
Wealz Wealz is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 781
Default

Prior to 9/11 NY was planning to build stadiums for both the Yankees and Mets. I believe the Yankees proposed park was slated for mid-town Manhattan. Could you imagine the price of a stadium there and what it would have done for the Yankees net worth? As it is I don't suppose anyone would have to hold a tag day if they build the new park in the bronx.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-31-2004, 02:27 AM
Nellie_Fox's Avatar
Nellie_Fox Nellie_Fox is offline
Official Professor
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: North Mankato, MN
Posts: 16,732
Default

The plan as I read it was to build across the street from the current stadium, but leaving the old one up, with the ballfield intact, parking stacked on top of it, and a soccer stadium on top. I'm serious, that's what it said in the St. Paul Pioneer Press.

The Yankees are not asking for any taxpayer dollars for the actual stadium, but want the city to build a railroad stop at the ballpark and other surrounding infrastructure improvements, including public ballparks running along the Harlem River to make up for the park land that will be used by the new stadium.
__________________

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-31-2004, 07:44 AM
bigfoot bigfoot is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: IN
Posts: 1,212
Default

The Yankees may not use NY taxpayers money to subsidize the new Stadium. But Steinbrenner may be off the hook for the 'luxury tax' he pays to the rest of the league because of the expense of the building. That's $40-$60 million that won't be divided among the other teams. The other $2 million that KW would have had to play with, will be gone. Does that mean the tax will be on us and not the Yankees?
__________________
NoWeeds(on the Walls!)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-01-2004, 02:13 AM
Nellie_Fox's Avatar
Nellie_Fox Nellie_Fox is offline
Official Professor
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: North Mankato, MN
Posts: 16,732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot
The Yankees may not use NY taxpayers money to subsidize the new Stadium. But Steinbrenner may be off the hook for the 'luxury tax' he pays to the rest of the league because of the expense of the building. That's $40-$60 million that won't be divided among the other teams. The other $2 million that KW would have had to play with, will be gone. Does that mean the tax will be on us and not the Yankees?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that he luxury tax is based only on payroll, not total expenses against payroll. I don't think that building a new ballpark will give them credit against the luxury tax.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-01-2004, 12:32 PM
Paulwny Paulwny is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: In a Field
Posts: 6,556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that he luxury tax is based only on payroll, not total expenses against payroll. I don't think that building a new ballpark will give them credit against the luxury tax.
From the Boston Herald:
(Also, the team could cut its $60 million annual revenue-sharing payment to Major League Baseball by roughly $13 million, thanks to a league incentive to build stadiums, Ganis estimates. )

Last paragraph in the link: http://business.bostonherald.com/bus...rticleid=37957
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-01-2004, 04:30 PM
MrRoboto83 MrRoboto83 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: America
Posts: 3,715
Default

If the Yankees cut back their payroll to 60 million, they could pay for a new stadium in 2-3 years? The Tax payers or NY city shouldnt have to pay a dime.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"It is easy to be smart, but a struggle to be wise"
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-02-2004, 01:07 AM
Nellie_Fox's Avatar
Nellie_Fox Nellie_Fox is offline
Official Professor
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: North Mankato, MN
Posts: 16,732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulwny
From the Boston Herald:
(Also, the team could cut its $60 million annual revenue-sharing payment to Major League Baseball by roughly $13 million, thanks to a league incentive to build stadiums, Ganis estimates. )

Last paragraph in the link: http://business.bostonherald.com/bus...rticleid=37957
That's why I opened with "Correct me if I'm wrong." I was, you did. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.