White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2004, 01:46 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Again, nowhere did I say he had Prior's ability or his potential, but keep twisting that trying to imply I did. You're just burying your credibility further if that's all you have to hang your hat on.
My credibility? You're proclaiming the Whisler selection a good one based on one month. Applying that same standard to Lucy, Lumsden, and Liotta wouldn't they be failures?
Old 07-30-2004, 01:50 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
You haven't had a single good thing to say about anyone but Doug Laumann, who got himself canned because he disobeyed his superiors. Are you his wife? Brother?
If you're okay with the Sox drafts since the Himes era . . .
Old 07-30-2004, 01:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wealz
My credibility? You're proclaiming the Whisler selection a good one based on one month. Applying that same standard to Lucy, Lumsden, and Liotta wouldn't they be failures?
No no no no no. I'm saying you're wrong for being so over-the-top in your early criticism of Whisler. His success just indicates that you were wrong, not that he's some kind of top prospect based on this first month. Again with the twisting of the words.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:00 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
No no no no no. I'm saying you're wrong for being so over-the-top in your early criticism of Whisler. His success just indicates that you were wrong, not that he's some kind of top prospect based on this first month. Again with the twisting of the words.
One good month justifies a second round pick? That can't be.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
If you're okay with the Sox drafts since the Himes era . . .
It's hard to satisfy some people, despite never having top 10 picks in that era. In addition, JR restricted the budgets for years of these drafts, including over-riding his scouts on guys like Dallaero and Mark Johnson and a long list of others. These drafts you speak of included players like Mark Buehrle in the 39th round, Mike Sirotka, Aaron Rowand, Kip Wells, Mike Cameron, Crede, and a long list of players that were turned into contributing major league players.

Not bad for a terrible organization not having a top 10 draft pick in 15 years...

Himes did a great job, but if you're going to measure success against Hernandez/Ventura/Thomas/Fernandez/Bere/etc, you're going to have a hard time finding any GM's who are any good.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
One good month justifies a second round pick? That can't be.
One bad week justifies crucifying the organization for not picking some arm-chair GM's favorite player? Now that is silly. Carry on, though, this is pretty funny.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:17 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
It's hard to satisfy some people, despite never having top 10 picks in that era. In addition, JR restricted the budgets for years of these drafts, including over-riding his scouts on guys like Dallaero and Mark Johnson and a long list of others. These drafts you speak of included players like Mark Buehrle in the 39th round, Mike Sirotka, Aaron Rowand, Kip Wells, Mike Cameron, Crede, and a long list of players that were turned into contributing major league players.

Not bad for a terrible organization not having a top 10 draft pick in 15 years...

Himes did a great job, but if you're going to measure success against Hernandez/Ventura/Thomas/Fernandez/Bere/etc, you're going to have a hard time finding any GM's who are any good.
As I said, you're happy with them, I'm not. Oh, and how do you know his scouts were over-ridden in the cases of Dallaero and Johnson? Sounds like a CYA thing by those scouts.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:29 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
As I said, you're happy with them, I'm not. Oh, and how do you know his scouts were over-ridden in the cases of Dallaero and Johnson? Sounds like a CYA thing by those scouts.
Ask Phil Rogers, he'll tell you the same thing. Then again, maybe I'm talking out of my ass, like about how Ron drafted his daughter earlier in the draft than Mark Buehrle was taken in a later draft... Damn that Shaffer...
Old 07-30-2004, 02:32 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Ask Phil Rogers, he'll tell you the same thing. Then again, maybe I'm talking out of my ass, like about how Ron drafted his daughter earlier in the draft than Mark Buehrle was taken in a later draft... Damn that Shaffer...
I just aked how you knew ... that's all.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungo
So it's too early to congratulate, but not too early too criticize?
It's too early for both. That's what I understood Wealz to argue in his post.

.252/.316/.343 for Seattle in 2005

23 for 58 with 4 2Bs, 7 BBs, and 3 SBs for Seattle in 2004

.305/.366/.455 with 13 SB in 15 Attempts at AAA Tacoma in 2004
Old 07-30-2004, 04:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Incidentally, Liotta started for Great Falls yesterday and threw 5 1/3 shutout innings with 5 Ks.

Lucy was 2-for-4 with a 2B, a run scored, and 2 RBI. He batted .400 over the past week.

Last edited by maurice; 07-30-2004 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:19 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyb1
It's too early for both. That's what I understood Wealz to argue in his post.
Right Jeremy. I have serious reservations about this draft and a month of good performances isn't going to change that. That said I never posted Lumsden, Lucy, or Liotta's stats in order to say "see!"

In my view, the Sox frittered away the golden opportunity those extra picks afforded them. Time will tell, but like I said I don't like what they did with them.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
In my view, the Sox frittered away the golden opportunity those extra picks afforded them. Time will tell, but like I said I don't like what they did with them.
We're well aware of that fact. It's fine to mention it in one or two threads, but it's extremely tiresome to read it 100 times. You're correct that time will tell. Beating the crap out of a dead horse will not speed the process along.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:00 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice
We're well aware of that fact. It's fine to mention it in one or two threads, but it's extremely tiresome to read it 100 times. You're correct that time will tell. Beating the crap out of a dead horse will not speed the process along.
You have a choice not to read it. To the point, the question was posed in a taunting manner I thought, as to where the Whisler detractors were. I'm right here.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:08 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
You have a choice not to read it. To the point, the question was posed in a taunting manner I thought, as to where the Whisler detractors were. I'm right here.
Actually he doesnt really have a choice, because your posts are everywhere. NOBODY is saying that Whisler is the next Mark Prior. We ARE saying that criticising a pick because he wasnt the guy you most liked a week into his minor league career is a bit foolish (especially when he is putting up solid stats) and that the guy DELIVERS (and by delivers we dont mean has the same stuff or will have the same success, we mean that the thing he does while throwing the ball looks similar) are you really so narrow-minded that you can't see that you are in the wrong here. I meen seriously, I bitched about the Everett trade non-stop. Now, I'm willing to admit that it was a move that had to be made.