White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2004, 11:20 PM
WSI Regular

Default Gio in Kanny

This might be posted somewhere else, but Gio Gonzales made his debut at Kanapolis tonight. He went 3 innings, giving up 3 runs (2 earned). He pitched the a scoreless three innings, but failed to get an out in the fourth. He had definite control problems, but he is a 18 year old making his first start in A ball. Bad performance, but I think criticism would be premature. Also, Whisler homered for the first time tonight, and raised his average to .318. He is now hitting over .300 AND has an ERA in the mid-twos. Where are all the guys saying how terrible this guy was? Eating some crow perhaps?
Old 07-29-2004, 11:54 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tom
This might be posted somewhere else, but Gio Gonzales made his debut at Kanapolis tonight. He went 3 innings, giving up 3 runs (2 earned). He pitched the a scoreless three innings, but failed to get an out in the fourth. He had definite control problems, but he is a 18 year old making his first start in A ball. Bad performance, but I think criticism would be premature. Also, Whisler homered for the first time tonight, and raised his average to .318. He is now hitting over .300 AND has an ERA in the mid-twos. Where are all the guys saying how terrible this guy was? Eating some crow perhaps?
Take credit for Whisler if you want (I wouldn't, it's real early), but it opens up the door to criticizing the Don Lucy (Suzuki anyone?) and the great Ray Liotta selections.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:12 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wealz
Take credit for Whisler if you want (I wouldn't, it's real early), but it opens up the door to criticizing the Don Lucy (Suzuki anyone?) and the great Ray Liotta selections.
I'm not taking credit for anything. I just seem to remember about three pages of whining about how bad Whisler was going to be. I thought it was a bit premature then and I think that Whisler's performance at the very least proves that he has the TALENT to warrant his selection.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:19 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I'm not taking credit for anything. I just seem to remember about three pages of whining about how bad Whisler was going to be. I thought it was a bit premature then and I think that Whisler's performance at the very least proves that he has the TALENT to warrant his selection.
Yep, notice the back-pedal. Quite the silliness. Now he's turning to a catcher who only really played 1 year at Stanford and after a slow start has been hitting better the past 2 weeks in Great Falls, let alone that offense is generally a secondary concern of catchers when they have to learn a whole new staff and coaches... I'm not so sure about Liotta, but it's certainly premature for Wealz to be pissing himself about the next player on the list instead of being a man about eating crow on his Whisler comments after being excellent on the mound and having 2 doubles and a HR in a 36-hour span.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:45 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Yep, notice the back-pedal. Quite the silliness. Now he's turning to a catcher who only really played 1 year at Stanford and after a slow start has been hitting better the past 2 weeks in Great Falls, let alone that offense is generally a secondary concern of catchers when they have to learn a whole new staff and coaches... I'm not so sure about Liotta, but it's certainly premature for Wealz to be pissing himself about the next player on the list instead of being a man about eating crow on his Whisler comments after being excellent on the mound and having 2 doubles and a HR in a 36-hour span.
We could use a lefty in the pen, why not bring up the Great Wes Whisler? How is it premature to be skeptical about Lucy, but not premature to crow about Whisler?
Old 07-30-2004, 12:47 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Whisler is a project there were better prospects available with that pick.
Old 07-30-2004, 01:07 AM
WSI Regular

And as far as bashing Ray Liotta, sure he's made a couple of bombs lately, but his performance in Goodfellas alone should earn him a little of our patience.
Old 07-30-2004, 01:22 AM
WSI Church Elder

It's exciting to see Gio up at Kannapolis. He seems like one of our more exciting picks so far although the usual caveats about high school pitchers obviously apply. I'm also impressed with Whisler. I do have to agree with Wealz though on the point that it's really early to read all that much into these guys' performances.

.252/.316/.343 for Seattle in 2005

23 for 58 with 4 2Bs, 7 BBs, and 3 SBs for Seattle in 2004

.305/.366/.455 with 13 SB in 15 Attempts at AAA Tacoma in 2004
Old 07-30-2004, 01:39 AM
WSI Regular

Default Wealz has issues

Quote:
We could use a lefty in the pen, why not bring up the Great Wes Whisler? How is it premature to be skeptical about Lucy, but not premature to crow about Whisler?
Is this guy mentally defficient? I seriously wonder about it sometimes. What is there to crow about Whisler. HE HAS A .318 BA AND A MID 2 ERA. NOTE TO WEALZ: THOSE ARE GOOD NUMBERS!!! The only crow that should be mentioned about Whisler is the crow Wealz should be eating. Apparentally he has comprehension problems as well, cuz I never once stated that this guy was gonna be a future star. I WAS pointing out that two of our new draft picks are putting up nice numbers, and that Wealz labeled one of them (Whisler) a flop after about what, the first two weeks of his season. Wealz, learn to admit when youre wrong, less people will hate you. And by the way somebody saying that Whisler is putting up good numbers is NOT the same thing as saying that Whisler is the next Prior. Sorry about that.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:06 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyb1
It's exciting to see Gio up at Kannapolis. He seems like one of our more exciting picks so far although the usual caveats about high school pitchers obviously apply. I'm also impressed with Whisler. I do have to agree with Wealz though on the point that it's really early to read all that much into these guys' performances.
So it's too early to congratulate, but not too early too criticize?
Old 07-30-2004, 12:06 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Is this guy mentally defficient? I seriously wonder about it sometimes. What is there to crow about Whisler. HE HAS A .318 BA AND A MID 2 ERA. NOTE TO WEALZ: THOSE ARE GOOD NUMBERS!!! The only crow that should be mentioned about Whisler is the crow Wealz should be eating. Apparentally he has comprehension problems as well, cuz I never once stated that this guy was gonna be a future star. I WAS pointing out that two of our new draft picks are putting up nice numbers, and that Wealz labeled one of them (Whisler) a flop after about what, the first two weeks of his season. Wealz, learn to admit when youre wrong, less people will hate you. And by the way somebody saying that Whisler is putting up good numbers is NOT the same thing as saying that Whisler is the next Prior. Sorry about that.
Whisler was a reach where they drafted him. A good month doesn't change that, but hey I'll eat crow ... whatever.

People can be excited about the Sox 2004 draft if they want. I look at it as a missed opportunity. They passed on terrific prospects (Ferris, Syzmanski, and Suzuki) for the likes of Lumsden, Gonzalez, Whisler and Lucy. I'd trade the four we got for the three we passed in a second.

As far as your "less people hating" me comment goes, that was just weird.
Old 07-30-2004, 01:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
LOL! Your basis for complaint with Whisler was his lack of ability, after being "terrible" at UCLA. Yet, he comes in and has been fantastic at Class A right out of college, despite being terrible.

For a terrible college player to be so successful in low class A, he must be a top prospect considering all the hand-wringing people like Wealz and others had over my comments about a slight step up for top college players going to high-A ball.

So, when Whisler succeeds, you find it your duty to move on to Lucy and criticize a catcher who only played 1 year at Stanford? Seriously, you're an absolute joke. Don't make me go back and collect all your fascinating quotes about Whisler here before you start crapping on other just-drafted players. You've shown yourself to be absolutely clueless, so I guess I shouldn't expect that to suddenly change.
Old 07-30-2004, 01:35 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
LOL! Your basis for complaint with Whisler was his lack of ability, after being "terrible" at UCLA. Yet, he comes in and has been fantastic at Class A right out of college, despite being terrible.

For a terrible college player to be so successful in low class A, he must be a top prospect considering all the hand-wringing people like Wealz and others had over my comments about a slight step up for top college players going to high-A ball.

So, when Whisler succeeds, you find it your duty to move on to Lucy and criticize a catcher who only played 1 year at Stanford? Seriously, you're an absolute joke. Don't make me go back and collect all your fascinating quotes about Whisler here before you start crapping on other just-drafted players. You've shown yourself to be absolutely clueless, so I guess I shouldn't expect that to suddenly change.
You're a Duane Shaffer apologist. Go ahead, collect my quotes about Whisler. Anything I've written about him can't top what you have ... for silliness. Prior-like mechanics ring a bell?
Old 07-30-2004, 01:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Prior-like mechanics ring a bell?
Again, nowhere did I say he had Prior's ability or his potential, but keep twisting that trying to imply I did. You're just burying your credibility further if that's all you have to hang your hat on.
Old 07-30-2004, 01:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
You're a Duane Shaffer apologist.
You haven't had a single good thing to say about anyone but Doug Laumann, who got himself canned because he disobeyed his superiors. Are you his wife? Brother?

Seriously, get over it. By your definition:

apologist = anyone who doesn't think the farm system is destroyed because of Duane Shaffer's 2004 draft.

What a joke.