White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2004, 11:39 AM
WSI Personality

Default Wes Whisler...

Does anyone know what the Sox plans are for Wes Whisler, the recently drafted P/1B/DH out of UCLA? He hit and pitched in college, and so far he is doing both at Kannapolis. In 3 games hitting, he is 2 for 9, and in 3 games pitching, he has a 6+ ERA in 6.2 innings.

I don't know if the Sox plan on him being the Brooks Keishnick (Wes was drafted pretty high to be a RP/Pinch hitter, and I know, AL pitchers don't hit), or if they are just trying to see what he can to better in A ball. Has anyone seen him on a regular basis? If so, can you give some info and suggest what he is better suited for?

Scott Podsednik
"...he could be a nice bench player...he's going to do quite well in helping Minnesota win another AL Central crown."
Freddy Garcia
"Garcia is not a bad pitcher, but he's not much better than an average one."
Jon Garland
"The White Sox take pride in noting that Jon Garland is now their fifth starter, which obscures the fact that he pitches like a fifth starter."
Old 07-09-2004, 11:46 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdommer
Does anyone know what the Sox plans are for Wes Whisler, the recently drafted P/1B/DH out of UCLA? He hit and pitched in college, and so far he is doing both at Kannapolis. In 3 games hitting, he is 2 for 9, and in 3 games pitching, he has a 6+ ERA in 6.2 innings.

I don't know if the Sox plan on him being the Brooks Keishnick (Wes was drafted pretty high to be a RP/Pinch hitter, and I know, AL pitchers don't hit), or if they are just trying to see what he can to better in A ball. Has anyone seen him on a regular basis? If so, can you give some info and suggest what he is better suited for?
1) This belongs in the "Minor Observations" board
2) He was considered a future first-round pick a year ago in the Cape Cod League both hitting and pitching very well. The Sox are DH'ing him on his off-days. He is likely to be a future pitcher, and has proto-type size, but just needs to refine his mechanics. However, he is an intruiging 1B prospect as a 6'5" LH'ed power hitter. Letting him do both will allow the scouting staff to get a better understanding and determination of his potential at both positions.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:48 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
2) He was considered a future first-round pick a year ago in the Cape Cod League both hitting and pitching very well. The Sox are DH'ing him on his off-days. He is likely to be a future pitcher, and has proto-type size, but just needs to refine his mechanics. However, he is an intruiging 1B prospect as a 6'5" LH'ed power hitter. Letting him do both will allow the scouting staff to get a better understanding and determination of his potential at both positions.
What type of pitcher is he? How hard does he throw? What MLB pitcher does he most likely project to be like?

Sorry about putting it in the clubhouse. I didn't even know this forum existed! Thanks.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
What type of pitcher is he? How hard does he throw? What MLB pitcher does he most likely project to be like?

Sorry about putting it in the clubhouse. I didn't even know this forum existed! Thanks.
It's difficult to compare him to another pitcher.

Mechanically, he reminds me of a LH'ed Mark Prior, no joke. Very similar to the eye. He is inconsistent with repeating his mechanics, resulting in him struggling with his command, but it might just be a lack of concentration on pitching. He throws in the low 90's, throws a hard slider in addition to a curve and change. He doesn't change speeds terribly effectively, but he has a low-mileage arm and has never been a full-time pitcher.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:15 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Your logic doesn't doesn't cut it. Whisler was a high pick, in fact a reach where they drafted him. If the scouting staff needed to get a better determination of his potential they wouldn't have taken him that high. Someone with the Sox really likes him.

Whisler regressed badly the last two years as a hitter at UCLA. His future is on the mound, and it's not a very bright one in my opinion.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wealz
Your logic doesn't doesn't cut it. Whisler was a high pick, in fact a reach where they drafted him. If the scouting staff needed to get a better determination of his potential they wouldn't have taken him that high. Someone with the Sox really likes him.

Whisler regressed badly the last two years as a hitter at UCLA. His future is on the mound, and it's not a very bright one in my opinion.
He was a high-first round projection going into last year at UCLA where he certainly did struggle.

"My logic doesn't cut it?"

logic? I gave a scouting report on the kid You're in way over your head here, pal.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:32 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
He was a high-first round projection going into last year at UCLA where he certainly did struggle.

"My logic doesn't cut it?"

logic? I gave a scouting report on the kid You're in way over your head here, pal.
Yes, your scouting report on Whisler invoked the name of Mark Prior in a comparison of mechanics. So you did give a scouting report, but forgive me for doubting its accuracy.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Yes, your scouting report on Whisler invoked the name of Mark Prior in a comparison of mechanics. So you did give a scouting report, but forgive me for doubting its accuracy.
I also said he was inconsistent with those mechanics, and didn't change speeds effectively. As someone who has seen enough of him to have an informed opinion, his basic mechanics are very similar to Mark Prior. In no way am I comparing his ability as a pitcher to him, though.

However, leap to whatever naive or uninformed opinion/conclusion you wish.

Forgive me for doubting your intelligence.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:53 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I also said he was inconsistent with those mechanics, and didn't change speeds effectively. As someone who has seen enough of him to have an informed opinion, his basic mechanics are very similar to Mark Prior. In no way am I comparing his ability as a pitcher to him, though.

However, leap to whatever naive or uninformed opinion/conclusion you wish.

Forgive me for doubting your intelligence.
Okay, then what conclusion should I draw from your statement that Whisler's mechanics are similar to Prior's?
Old 07-09-2004, 01:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Okay, then what conclusion should I draw from your statement that Whisler's mechanics are similar to Prior's?
I'm sorry, but what is so profound about that statement that you feel the need to berate it? He mechanics are similar. Outside of that, there is no comparison between the 2 pitchers. 99% of the people here have never seen any of these prospects play, so describing how his mechanics look is part of the process of describing the player.

He's never going to be Mark Prior, none of the Sox pitching prospects are. Once you get past your hard-on about a simple description, maybe you can be a little open-minded.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:15 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I'm sorry, but what is so profound about that statement that you feel the need to berate it? He mechanics are similar. Outside of that, there is no comparison between the 2 pitchers. 99% of the people here have never seen any of these prospects play, so describing how his mechanics look is part of the process of describing the player.

He's never going to be Mark Prior, none of the Sox pitching prospects are. Once you get past your hard-on about a simple description, maybe you can be a little open-minded.
So his mechanics being similar to Prior's is only slightly more useful than knowing he listens to the same music as Prior when evaluating his potential as a pitcher? Then it's pretty useless information.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
So his mechanics being similar to Prior's is only slightly more useful than knowing he listens to the same music as Prior when evaluating his potential as a pitcher? Then it's pretty useless information.

If you insist.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Then it's pretty useless information.
Basically just as useless as this thread. Quit the bickering....
Old 07-09-2004, 02:34 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
Basically just as useless as this thread. Quit the bickering....
Useless? I just tried to use this thread to get some info about a prospect that I have not seen. That's what I thought WSI was for.

So, I guess this thread is as useless as WSI???
Old 07-09-2004, 03:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Useless? I just tried to use this thread to get some info about a prospect that I have not seen. That's what I thought WSI was for.
No, the thread became usless the instant you 2 started bickering like little school girls. I for one would have liked to have read an interesting thread about one of our recent draftees.